We love our manual focus Nikkor lenses! Part 2

Managed to get a 28mm f2 AI from one of the guys here, and so far, am really loving it. Great solid built as characterized by lenses of that era, only complaint is that the aperture could click more distinctively, but I'm nitpicking.

Its my third 28mm f2, yes I'm on my THIRD copy, the previous 2 were used on the D300s which wasn't as fantastic as using it on a D600. :p First one was a really beaten up AIS version, great glass though, which I sold to a friend and she never wanted to part with it no matter how much I asked. The second one an AI version, had slightly rough/stiff focusing action which was quite irritating, which I sold at a loss when the AFS 1.8G was introduced. Then came this AI version which is in pretty good condition glass and cosmetic wise.

If my memory served me well, both AI are slightly better built and more solid feeling than the AIS version, with a longer focusing throw which I appreciate. Center sharpness is sharp from even f2, don't see any improvement when stopping down. Optimum optical quality from f4, though f2.8 is plenty usable for a 8R print. Don't have a copy of the 28G to compare against, but having played with the 28G at NSC the feeling of the metal barrel of the AI is totally different from the cheap plastics of the 28G. Don't mind having the 28G to compare against tho if given the chance haha.

Ok photos: No sharpening done, just resize and tweaking of colour balance/monochrome.

f2

PGS_4557.jpg

f2

PGS_4754.jpg

f5.6

PGS_4780.jpg

PGS_4811.jpg

Last edited:
Both wide open. Nope its not purple fringing in the first photo, its the label. Merry x'mas in advance haha.

PGS_4528.jpg

PGS_4590.jpg

Both wide open. Nope its not purple fringing in the first photo, its the label. Merry x'mas in advance haha.

Told you it is good right! Hahaha i'm glad it is in better hands. 28mm is kinda like a neither here nor there focal length for me. Haha.

Shot with AI-S 50mm f/1.8E (pancake version)

11352517276_d6d19828a0_c.jpg

Told you it is good right! Hahaha i'm glad it is in better hands. 28mm is kinda like a neither here nor there focal length for me. Haha.

haha not bad la. But I prefer the 35mm length, though Nikon's MF 35 (used both 1.4 and 2) are not that fantastic, did not really bonded much with those compared to the 28mm or the 45mm.

Among, NIKKOR AI 50mm f/1.2 vs NIKKOR AI 55mm f/1.2 vs Noct-NIKKOR AI 58mm f/1.2

Which one is better in term of sharpness wide open ? How about color rendering ?

Which was why I turned back and asked the woman
I memorized the Japanese phrase to ask politely if I could take a photo please
Which triggered off a string of more Japanese, to which I could only nod and smile
The woman would look away every time I pointed the camera at the dogs (re: the prev photo)
Felt kinda guilty trying to nail focus with the 50 1.2 AIS
I can only surmise that this white one was calmer than the naughty barky brown one!

wow they are so many! by Zichar, on Flickr

Among, NIKKOR AI 50mm f/1.2 vs NIKKOR AI 55mm f/1.2 vs Noct-NIKKOR AI 58mm f/1.2

Which one is better in term of sharpness wide open ? How about color rendering ?

I'd go out on a limb to say that the old lenses have a different 'character'
That almost intangible quality that makes comparisons less meaningful ;p

Veiling flare or internal (due to coatings, etc), center sharpness (a function of field curvature sometimes), handhold-ability, the user's skill; these are just some of the aspects that will affect 'sharpness wide open and color rendering'
That said, none of those you mentioned are duds. Of course, price, availability and value would play a part too.

I've only used the 50 1.2 AIS, and have come to recognize that there are moments where it doesn't work well (I don't like it for high key, but then again not always; light-colored/ low contrast subjects partly because it's hard to be able to focus.

Ah but when it does, it sings.

Which triggered off a string of more Japanese, to which I could only nod and smile
The woman would look away every time I pointed the camera at the dogs (re: the prev photo)
I can only surmise that this white one was calmer than the naughty barky brown one!

Nice shot, colour and bokeh.

Finally cannot tahan liao. must get myself some ais lenses to play around. Haha. Anyone here came across any ais lenses for sale?

I'm personally looking for 55mm micro. Whether if it's 2.8 or 3.5 doesn't matter. :) been poking around this little field recently. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zichar/11339277114/

Yeah, nice photo!

Thanks guys. Lucked out with the focus on its eyes I think

Just completed this - stitch of 10 vertical shots
Took a bit of time with this, and still not exactly the composition I wanted
Me holding on to the leveling base, keeping it tight against the railing
Me slowly counting and squeezing off mirror-up shots
Against the cold, praying hard none of the jostling crowd would actually come near and bump off my 4sec exposures
Messed up the other series I think, gotta see whether it's salvageable

I still wish I brought my 14-24mm, not sure if I could keep it steady
Gotta start my landscape thread soon

28 2.8 AIS

a slight tremble by Zichar, on Flickr

Thanks guys. Lucked out with the focus on its eyes I think

Just completed this - stitch of 10 vertical shots
Took a bit of time with this, and still not exactly the composition I wanted
Me holding on to the leveling base, keeping it tight against the railing
Me slowly counting and squeezing off mirror-up shots
Against the cold, praying hard none of the jostling crowd would actually come near and bump off my 4sec exposures
Messed up the other series I think, gotta see whether it's salvageable

I still wish I brought my 14-24mm, not sure if I could keep it steady
Gotta start my landscape thread soon

28 2.8 AIS

a slight tremble by Zichar, on Flickr

Nevertheless a nice shot! :)

Nice shot Zichar.

Took this shot just now with the f1.2 lens for my APAD.

Electro 35
11464718875_b225256345_b.jpg

No love for MF Nikkors? Would have thought it’d increase due to the release of the Df. I’m already seeing price increase and less supply on eBay, or at least for the stuff I was looking at.

I’m still processing my stuff from the recent trip, and looking at the results, the frustrations of missing out because my thumb and fingers couldn’t turn the focusing ring as fast and/or accurate seem to have been forgotten
*Or maybe I chimp too fast, have had moments where I coulda sworn I took the shot of such-and-such

Loved the close focusing ability of the new-to-me 28 2.8 AIS
Skipped tubes or a macro lens (would have been AF anyway) and glad that this worked for casual shots of such requirements

The creamy smooth bokeh is crazy. I think Fstop is around 2

The creamy smooth bokeh is crazy. I think Fstop is around 2

Thanks. Ah no, checked the exif, was shot at f/1.4