We love our manual focus Nikkor lenses! Part 2

Went to 2 shops to get the 50mm f/1.2 in Japan, both out of stock.

There's one (50mm f1.2) for sale now at our BNS.

I have one but if I've got extra dough I don't mind getting a brand new piece in future. I just like it so much!

Yodobashi in Akihabara has it in stock for ¥50,500.

I asked at Shinjuku and no stock anywhere in Japan. This morning I check their webpage stock just came in, 1 at akihabara and another at fukushima. I'm now near Kyoto chasing red leaves and won't be going back to Tokyo. Thanks for the alert.

Found one at Bic Camera Kyoto at ~¥63,000. Too high for me.

Thanks but I won't pay $550 for a used AI unit. I'll wait, likely to be back in Japan once or twice a year for business.

Last edited:
There's one (50mm f1.2) for sale now at our BNS.

I have one but if I've got extra dough I don't mind getting a brand new piece in future. I just like it so much!
The price is a joke for a used one.

I asked at Shinjuku and no stock anywhere in Japan. This morning I check their webpage stock just came in, 1 at akihabara and another at fukushima. I'm now near Kyoto chasing red leaves and won't be going back to Tokyo. Thanks for the alert.

Found one at Bic Camera Kyoto at ~¥63,000. Too high for me.

Thanks but I won't pay $550 for a used AI unit. I'll wait, likely to be back in Japan once or twice a year for business.
Why not ordering it online from Yodobashi? If you're still in Japan they usually deliver the next day. I usually order small accessories from them every few months when I'm in Japan, the bigger stuff is usually too expensive at Yodobashi.

Last edited:
The price is a joke for a used one.

Why not ordering it online from Yodobashi? If you're still in Japan they usually deliver the next day. I usually order small accessories from them every few months when I'm in Japan, the bigger stuff is usually too expensive at Yodobashi.

I agree. As to ordering online it requires Japanese language skill and staying put for a few days. On vacation so moving a lot. Have to be next trip.

Besides, I'm blowing a big hole taking my family to Japan, and another by getting the Df (from Malaysia through my brother in law) kit set.

Going to be poor for a while. A long while.

Update: last day in Japan and from Yodobashi website found one piece at Osaka. Ran down and bought it at 50500 yen with 4040 yen rebate points to be used next time. With train fare and rebate points factored in about 600 sing. But no chance to play with it, heading to Osaka airport.

Last edited:
Here be some snapshots by the 20mm f2.8 AIS. Lousy overcast weather nowadays sigh.

Anybody know where to get a 28mm f2 Ai or AIS beside peninsular? (Or have one to sell.) The prices there are somewhat absurd, nearing that of the AFS 28/1.8.

PGS_3182.JPG

PGS_3179.JPG

I've only ever bought my MF Nikons online - from eBay and the like
I've had exceptional lenses from Matsuiyastore on eBay, a bit pricier but almost flawless condition

I've only ever bought my MF Nikons online - from eBay and the like
I've had exceptional lenses from Matsuiyastore on eBay, a bit pricier but almost flawless condition

Same here. Seen mstsuiyastore many times for their lovely product shots. There's additional 7% GST if exceed $400 right.

Same here. Seen mstsuiyastore many times for their lovely product shots. There's additional 7% GST if exceed $400 right.

He offers to mark it down if you like...
I missed that eBay message (tied to my other email account) as I was traveling then
When I purchased the 50 1.2, I tried to time it so that the package wouldn't arrive when I was away
He was kind enough to delay sending it until the specified date (a week after iirc)
His stuff can move fast, I've delayed a few times on some of the ones I've eyed on and before I knew it, they were gone

I do like the Japanese sellers better though, partly because of the condition and that other buyers from the US don't often like the risk of ordering from so far away
That said, it's really rare to get a bargain from them. They're ... priced competitively
On the other hand, I've gotten beater lenses from US sellers shipped to comgateway at such a steal

I agree. As to ordering online it requires Japanese language skill and staying put for a few days. On vacation so moving a lot. Have to be next trip.

Besides, I'm blowing a big hole taking my family to Japan, and another by getting the Df (from Malaysia through my brother in law) kit set.

Going to be poor for a while. A long while.

Update: last day in Japan and from Yodobashi website found one piece at Osaka. Ran down and bought it at 50500 yen with 4040 yen rebate points to be used next time. With train fare and rebate points factored in about 600 sing. But no chance to play with it, heading to Osaka airport.

600 sing for a brand new 50/1.2 AIs?? nice price..

Here be some snapshots by the 20mm f2.8 AIS. Lousy overcast weather nowadays sigh.

Anybody know where to get a 28mm f2 Ai or AIS beside peninsular? (Or have one to sell.) The prices there are somewhat absurd, nearing that of the AFS 28/1.8.

I have a 28/2.0 AIs in truly excellent condition, but im in the US till january, and i need to sell it before i leave (selling it for someone and need to pass them the $ here). but if you really want it, pm me and we can work something out. the 28/2 is an excellent lens, but i have my 24/2.8 alrd =P

Here's one that I couldn't resist processing
Travelled with 3 MF primes, wished for something wider...

Tokyo Station and the Marunouchi square from atop Kitte

28mm f/2.8 AIS

hello kitte by Zichar, on Flickr

28mm f/2.8 AIS

Nice shot.

28mm f/2.8 AIS

Nice! The shiny new station from the outside. Will be back for Xmas and hope I can take a few shots.

Nice shot.

Nice! The shiny new station from the outside. Will be back for Xmas and hope I can take a few shots.

Thanks, I think the Shin Marunouchi building overlooks the station direct (the one on the far left)
The trains arriving and leaving should give you trails if you blend, albeit with some wait.
Didn't have much time, was late for an appt with a friend at Yurakucho
I just chose one - Kitte
Tripods allowed oddly, or at least the security guard didn't seem to bother with that one guy who deployed his Manfrotto
But then again it's one of those rare open air 'sky gardens' in Tokyo
I brought mine but didn't deploy it. Too many people around, didn't want them bumping into mine.
Just unscrewed the leveling base and rested it on the steel railing (1.5 inch thick!)

Reactions: ageha
Small update on the AiS 50mm f/1.2.

Second time I use this lens, once in NY City Grand Central Station where I met this Brazilian photographer who had the D800 and the 50mm f/1.2 and nothing else. Chatted with him, and found out that he jumped ship to Canon some years back and sold all his Nikkors, but kept the 50mm f/1.2. Just returned to Nikon-land with the D800. I had the AFD 20mm f/2.8 so we swapped lens for 10 minutes.

And the few test shots I took in the Osaka-Kyoto train and with my family over dinner. Too boring or too personal to post pictures.

And bought the lens when I was about to leave Japan and the splendour of Autumn at Kyoto meant that I had no chance to use it to shoot the red leaves. :cry:

Impression
- Beautifully made lens (but most, if not all, manual focus Nikkors are beautifully made).
- At f/1.2 and f/2 (I have not shot at any other apertures yet :embrass:) the in-focus points are sharp, maybe not pin-sharp, but subjectively very sharp. This subjectively very sharp in-focus point may be due to the out-of-focus part being nicely soft, almost dreamy soft, something I didn't see with my AFS 50mm f/1.4G, AFD/AF 50mm f/1.4, AFD/AF 50mm f/1.8, and Ai 50mm f/2. It is this almost magical softness that hits me. Have not tested 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S and 5cm f/2 Nikkor-S on FX yet, waiting to use them on Df (being non-Ai).

Yes I now have six (6) 50mm Nikkor lenses with me! Another coming round Christmas (AFS 50mm f/1.8G SE with Df), and I pulled myself from buying a 50mm f/2 Nikkor-H.C. last week while at Tokyo!

Last edited:

50mm F1.8 Series E.

Last edited:
Very nice mw1986, brilliant use of space

Recently acquired the 135mm f/2.8 AIS
Don't own many teles, slammed into the min focusing distance barrier quite a number of times
Also a first for me - The built-in hood is genius!

anthropomorphism by Zichar, on Flickr