We love our manual focus Nikkor lenses! Part 2

I use a Canon EC-S type screen. its a special matte screen with no split or micro prisms, but its made for precise manual focus with canon's f/1.2 primes. its an amazing screen to use if you dont shoot lenses smaller than F4 on a regular basis (it gets abit dark). so i just need to compose, look at the point i want in focus, focus, and shoot. i don't get 100% keepers, but about 90-95% on static shots and 50% on moving. i've also been shooting manual for 3-4 years now, and the only AF lens i have now is a tokina 17/3.5 so i guess experience helps alot =)

that said, shooting a whole event in MF is not something i would normaly do. in this case, i was asked to shoot a photobooth, and these were candids on the side so it was all 'safe'. honestly though, i was shooting iso 4500/6400, f/1.4 and 1/125, i doubt the AF tracking would have kept up.

Thanks for sharing Ben!

Taken on Ai-S 50mm f/1.8 version E (pancake)

Not sure the exact age of the lens but it was supposedly produced between '77 to '85 so definitely older than me!

10647266166_660436794c_c.jpg

as for the 55/2.8 macro, i managed to dig this out, but cant seem to find the high res version. was shot on fuji pro160S with an FA

Do let me know if you're ever going to let this one go..

For events, do you all stick to manual lenses or use AF ones?

I am thinking to either get the 35mm f2 or a tamron 28-75mm AF lens for events shooting.

If event paid job, don't ever risk missing yr shots. Unless u market yrself as a photojournalistic photographer shooting black and white.

The 35 mm F2 served me well until I upgraded to D800.

I would say go for the 35 mm F2.

If event paid job, don't ever risk missing yr shots. Unless u market yrself as a photojournalistic photographer shooting black and white.

The 35 mm F2 served me well until I upgraded to D800.

I would say go for the 35 mm F2.

Not paid job, just a favour for my company. I shot events with the MF Samyang 35mm f1.4 before with good results, but sold the lens already.

Ya, leaning towards the 35mm f2.

I've done my dept retreats and meetings with MF only before
Bunch of people standing up to talk or write on flipcharts, wasn't hard to get keepers lol
As with most things, practice makes perfect

Do let me know if you're ever going to let this one go..

gone alrd, sry >< i use a minolta rokkor 50/3.5 now.

For events, do you all stick to manual lenses or use AF ones?

I am thinking to either get the 35mm f2 or a tamron 28-75mm AF lens for events shooting.

i typically rent/buy an af lens for the fast paced events then let it go afterward, but if its something like a dinner i ll stick to mf. btw, if you think MF is ok, the nikkor O 35/2 is an amazing lens, its alrd very good str8 from f2, and easily surpasses the AF-D. you dont get af tho =\

gone alrd, sry >< i use a minolta rokkor 50/3.5 now.

i typically rent/buy an af lens for the fast paced events then let it go afterward, but if its something like a dinner i ll stick to mf. btw, if you think MF is ok, the nikkor O 35/2 is an amazing lens, its alrd very good str8 from f2, and easily surpasses the AF-D. you dont get af tho =\

ya, for 35mm, f1.4 and f2 are world of difference in terms of dof. I google for some nikkor O 35/2 images, thanks.

Actually if you wanted to test it out (or if your events aren't a frequent occurence) can PM me
I've got a 35/2 AI which has been on the sidelines a bit ever since I got hold of the 28/2.8 AIS 'bout three months ago
You're welcome to loan it for a bit if you want
Lemme know

Actually if you wanted to test it out (or if your events aren't a frequent occurence) can PM me
I've got a 35/2 AI which has been on the sidelines a bit ever since I got hold of the 28/2.8 AIS 'bout three months ago
You're welcome to loan it for a bit if you want
Lemme know

Thanks for the offer on the 35.

I have the 28mm f2.8 AIS too.

No worries, gotta help feed the addiction
Once you try...
:)

Oh of all the things to ask! Haha actually no, I use it as my walkaround/street, usually for diorama-style scenes
Err not to really tempt you but that one you gotta test for yourself

Here's one...

wouldn't you by Zichar, on Flickr

Oh of all the things to ask! Haha actually no, I use it as my walkaround/street, usually for diorama-style scenes
Err not to really tempt you but that one you gotta test for yourself

Here's one...

wouldn't you by Zichar, on Flickr

nice shot

nice shots as always ben!

we should start to stock up on our manual lenses before the rich people who are buying the Nikon df start to sweep all the second hand shops... hahaha

btw do you think nikon will ever get around to updating the 20, 35, 180 AF-D to AF-S?

I don't know if this has been asked before but...
Have any of you sold off one of your manual Nikkors only regret it later ? I needed the money (as usual) and sold my E-series 75-150mm lens some time ago. Big mistake, that...