wat storage to bring for trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger

Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
hi,

i'm going for a 10 day trip. using a canon s50. having 2x 512mb cf, 1x 1gb cf.

now considering shld i :

1. buy another cf 1gb - $115 or
2. buy a portable storage - compactdrive $249 (eastgear)

1st choice

getting another 1gb sounds wasteful as i already has 3 cf, but the pricing is much lower than choice 2.

2nd choice
price is much higher and it's only 1 time use for this trip, likely not use for a long time. but there's ppl mentioning problem with it > http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=91628&highlight=portable+storage

is it possible to get only casing and use own harddisk ? what type harddisk and how much $ is casing ?

thanks ! :(

i was in the same situation not too long ago, mine was only for a 5 day trip... my solution was to carry my laptop along...heh...save money....

for my case, buying additional CF or portable storage all dun make $ sense as it will be used only once.....

besides bring laptop, you could also rent the portable storage device -> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=82300

btw where u going? heh

Cheers

ranger said:
hi,

i'm going for a 10 day trip. using a canon s50. having 2x 512mb cf, 1x 1gb cf.

now considering shld i :

1. buy another cf 1gb - $115 or
2. buy a portable storage - compactdrive $249 (eastgear)

1st choice

getting another 1gb sounds wasteful as i already has 3 cf, but the pricing is much lower than choice 2.

2nd choice
price is much higher and it's only 1 time use for this trip, likely not use for a long time. but there's ppl mentioning problem with it > http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=91628&highlight=portable+storage

is it possible to get only casing and use own harddisk ? what type harddisk and how much $ is casing ?

thanks ! :(

My way of calculation is that you need about 512Mb per day shoot (250 images), at large file not RAW. Then you work your requirements. Portable storage is advisable if the trip is more than 5 days.

the only factor that holds me back for portable storage is the price.

of course there's this option of rental. but if i can get one for hundred plus bucks is still ok as the price of cf is about there.

i'm not sure if there's any place selling the casing only cos i can plug out my portable hdd harddisk and use it. :embrass:

ranger said:
i'm not sure if there's any place selling the casing only cos i can plug out my portable hdd harddisk and use it. :embrass:

Pardon me but isn't the CompactDrive($249) from EastGear a casing only? You need to add a harddisk to it right? They option it from 10gb to 60gb... from $100 - 210.

That's what advertise in their webby

cheers

uncle_catz said:
Pardon me but isn't the CompactDrive($249) from EastGear a casing only? You need to add a harddisk to it right? They option it from 10gb to 60gb... from $100 - 210.

That's what advertise in their webby

cheers

wow ! i guess you are right, that actually make it more improssible for me to get this drive,

s...oooo sad :cry:

ranger said:
wow ! i guess you are right, that actually make it more improssible for me to get this drive,

s...oooo sad :cry:

I'll be in your position comes Jun, for a 2 wks trip to western USA. ;p
I'll look at it this way... this wont be my only long holiday. Unless i'm going back to film, i'll always need extra storage for long holidays.
So i'd bite the bullet and get the external storage, once and for all... :sweat:

cheers

I would advise getting a portable storage device. At least you have the option to take all your pics in RAW and still not worry about running out of storage space during your tour. For me I just have 2 CF cards and my 20Gb portable storage device. After you have filled up 1 CF card, you can transfer the images to your portable storage device while you use the other card. Or you can wait until end of each day to and transfer your images at the hotel. You have a total of 2Gb CF cards, should be able to last 1 day.

While a laptop can be very useful, but you have to consider the extra weight you'll be carrying, especially if you are not going to stay in the same hotel for your 10 days trip. If you don't have a laptop, then it'll costs you much more.

Maybe I love to take pics in RAW, thats why I can easily used up 1 Gb or more in 1 day, especially while on tour, where you might not have so much time to think about your composition or review your pics. Heck I will even bring along my portable storage device for a 1 day shoot.

An alternative solution:
If you think that you should not be spending more money on any storage media, and you are touring places with reasonable big towns, you can try to transfer your images into CDs at the photo labs in that country. In most country, especially big cities, there definitely will be some digital photo labs that can burn your images into CDs. In that way, you just need to pay for what you have "saved" into the CDs for that trip. I used to have a Canon S40 that I have taken for a 8 days tour of Europe. After 3 days, I have used up all my CF card even though it was taken in Jpeg. I have used the photo lab CD burning services there and it allowed me to carrying shooting without having to buy more CF cards.

is there such a thing that allows my portable hdd to be used as storage ?

as it's using usb connections, understand you'll need a device with a power source eg laptop to do the transfer :what:

Status
Not open for further replies.