Unpleasant shopping experiences in Sim Lim Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google/Browse CS to know which are good shops and which are "black" shops -> don't know/lazy/bochap

Complain in CS after the fact -> no problemo

:dunno:

Song Brothers is an established electronics name for last 30 years already

Last edited:
Song Brothers is an established electronics name for last 30 years already

and the Soong Sisters are very well-known too

soong_sisters.jpg

:bsmilie:

While I do agree with the TS that there are shops in SLS with such shady business practices, I also think that this thread serves no useful purpose unless he names the shop, or even better provides photo/name of the salesman.

As it stands, I see no purpose other than affect the business of every shop there, which is unfair to the genuine ones like OP.

Anyway, this type of "sour grapes" sales tactic is very common among those people. They probably know you're not buying, so they quote an ultra low price.
If you buy from another shop and walk by their shop, they probably say something like "Why you never buy from me? I can give you $350".

I am not against any shops at SL, it's the salesman's attitude and service which I cannot accept. If the salesman gives a very good service, even the price is higher, I would definitely go for it. This salesman is at level 1.

I am creating a awareness to newbie like me that if people salesman quote you a a very high price initially, never go back to the same salesman.

Aww man... you miss it. Should have take him on when he says S$400.

then he will say the warranty card need another S$150/++...

all their tricks... too good to be true!!

Is Canon warranty online?

I'd just ask for the receipt and register the unit online. Any problem, just go Canon direct....

I'd just ask for the receipt and register the unit online. Any problem, just go Canon direct....

u'll never know what kind of trick they r up to. or they will say sorry , no more stock cause they will not sell u at that price for sure.

wahahahahahahaha

u're the experienced one. can't say the same for everyone else! kekekeke

maybe they will pull other tricks just to make u fork out the S$150/.

You need the Registration No on the warranty card to do online registration. ;)

And you don't need receipt to register online.

Last edited:
Wanted to buy a Canon Speedlite 430EX2, this salesman quote me $500 and say not much people will buy and recommend me to buy other brands. I already know the market rate is about $410-450, so I told him I will consider first. Before I leave he quoted me $400, I again told him I will consider first. (From $500 to $400, so he initially want to con me $100 already). After surveying around, I went back to the shop as he was serving a customer, he ask me wait first. He said in a tone which irritates me like" I give you discount, so you wait lah"

After 5-10 minutes of waiting for him to serve the customer, is my turn. I told him I want the Canon Speedlite 430ex2. He again say you wait lah. At that time he got no more customer, ask me to wait for what. I told him again I want the speedlite and guess what he say, he said he does not want to sell to me. So pissed off with this salesman. If he cannot sell me at $400, then please don't quote this price to me in the first place. So angry with this "Tua Kang" salesman and wasted my time.

Congratulate yourself that he doesn't make a cent from you. :)

No idea why TS is so afraid of the photo store at SLS that he dares not mention the shop's name in the post.

Buying and selling is mutual. You can refuse to buy. He can refuse to sell. No hard feelings.

TS had rejected the salesman first. Later when the salesman rejected TS, he got angry because now he is at the receiving end.

It is probable that the salesman who first wanted $500 and cut $100 to offer $400 price, was not sincere.
If he was sincere, he would have offered $400 at the start.

So even if TS agreed to buy immediately after salesman offered $400 price, the usual nasty tricks would be played such as price does not include certain items, cash only - no credit card. Once TS hands over the cash (shop will never return cash to you), more dirty tricks will be revealed and suddenly salesman may say the price is for a "display unit" or used second hand flash. Then he may show TS a bashed up flash with cracks or deep scratches and say that's the one he will get for $400. If TS wants a new flash, he must top up $100 to pay $500.

Last edited:
I disagree with some of the bros above and I totally sympathize with TS. ....it's not a perfect world but doesn't means this kind of behavior is acceptable.....it's easy for old horse to say this and that but there are also newbie and tourist visiting the mall.....without creating awareness constantly.....there will be more and more people fell victims and bullied by these depictable salesmen.....if sg want to be shopping heaven, I hope there will be a task force from authority to wipe off these group rotten apple.....if not it could spread like disease

Your point is well-taken, but I guess a lot of us don't quite understand why there was an attempt to deal with the shop when there were signs that it was not a good one. That has little to do with changing the system to ensure that such shops do not exist.

If you know that the mountain has tigers, and go to the mountain, and the tiger shakes its tail at you from behind the bushes, and then you look into the bushes and get clawed... I guess you could indeed choose to "vent your frustration" about the tiger's behaviour on a public forum as an alternative to starting a blog. That's your right. At the same time, people also have the right to question why you went to look into the bushes when you knew there was a tiger there and were in a place known to you to be full of tigers.

That is a separate issue from getting the local authorities to clear the tigers from the mountain. Cheers.

The RRP price for 430EXII is $579. Telling TS the price is $500 is not conning him of $100 just bcos he quoted $400 later. If any shop quote ridiculously low prices and you did not even see the product at hand, likely it will be result in either a must order, give a deposit comeback later my storeroom have kind of reply n of course once any cash handed over, it will be a out of stock, why don't you buy this or that instead. Or they will add GST later orquote a high credit card fee like 5pct.

.....If you know that the mountain has tigers, and go to the mountain, and the tiger shakes its tail at you from behind the bushes, and then you look into the bushes and get clawed....

we just want to know where or which bush to avoid getting clawed at the same bush

Last edited:
Suddenly this thread has became hidden dragon crouching tiger show :lol:

But whether they are tiger or calf.....it does not matter because customer is always right.....unfortunately our culture seems to cordon individual like that.......If sg is lawless....that chap would have been chopped into pieces by angry customer instead of being so cocky...all those CASE and lemon law are useless against gangsters like these......it only shoove of law abiding individual......just wish someday.....somehow......a Batman shall rise....

Status
Not open for further replies.