Trouble with Night Shoot

eric8526
I suggest that you might want to join an outing that is organized our fellow members or find someone experienced who is willing to guide you. You seems to be someone who can learn better through practical than reading it up.

Ok. I would like to join but the time problem. I got working. :)

Dear TS

The biggest mistake you made was to buy a DSLR. Now you realise that there are a lot of readings to do.
1. Read the manual
2. Read on the subjects of iso, shutter and aperture
3. Read on specific areas of phootography... landscape, portraits, candids, macro, night/low light, architecture etc etc etc
You've along journey indeed. Do it systematically and you'll be ok.

Dear TS

The biggest mistake you made was to buy a DSLR. Now you realise that there are a lot of readings to do.
1. Read the manual
3. Read on specific areas of phootography... landscape, portraits, candids, macro, night/low light, architecture etc etc etc

what readings?

Do or Do Not. read less, shoot more

Dear TS

1. Read the manual

You make it sound so dramatic and more laborious then it needs to be. Some people learn quickly with hands-on practice and a bit of guidance.

Well.. TS, the one most important book to read... is your manual. Get to know your camera's basic functions first. Then you can do some experiment with your camera and you will get along just fine.

After shooting a couple of 'good' photos and your confidence will raise, then you can go on and start reading other internet resources and books to learn other aspect of photography. At present moment you can actually join some outings first and learning from others might be a good thing to start photography too.

Go out and shoot
Comeback review
If not happy with results,post some photos online and ask for opinion
Repeat first step

Guys. You have to understand not everyone is young and well educated. Some have spent most of their lives without internet or computer. It will take longer for these people to pick up this. Learning by seeing and doing is easier for them. Everyone here have their own unique journey in getting where they are now. You probably know it best the feeling of being overwhelm with the things needed to learn especially when you get your first ever slr/dslr/slt/m43/rf. Some patience can make this place more pleasant. :)

There are also those that are plain lazy and like to be spoon-feed... By all means, wake up their idea.

just offering an opinion to TS. why not u join PSS course. they have basic digital camera course and i find it quite extensive enough. hell, even me touching the camera and shooting lots of pictures still i missed out some good pointers n tips. u bring ur dslr to the class n they teach as u touch ur dslr. i've seen all different ages, background, academic n at the end of the course, everyone learns. they even hv outings for practical. i'm not promoting them but the way i read through and with all the bros here giving directions n guides, u still seems to not catch up enough. try it, i strongly recommend u. it covers from basic functions, travel photography, pp with ps, flash photography, studio lightings, night photography n all the works. then maybe you'll be thinking to join the intermediate class.........anyways, i'm still going through the course. with the course and some field guidance from the CS members, u'll get somewhere......

just offering an opinion to TS. why not u join PSS course. they have basic digital camera course and i find it quite extensive enough. hell, even me touching the camera and shooting lots of pictures still i missed out some good pointers n tips. u bring ur dslr to the class n they teach as u touch ur dslr. i've seen all different ages, background, academic n at the end of the course, everyone learns. they even hv outings for practical. i'm not promoting them but the way i read through and with all the bros here giving directions n guides, u still seems to not catch up enough. try it, i strongly recommend u. it covers from basic functions, travel photography, pp with ps, flash photography, studio lightings, night photography n all the works. then maybe you'll be thinking to join the intermediate class.........anyways, i'm still going through the course. with the course and some field guidance from the CS members, u'll get somewhere......

if i were TS i think i'd rather join the free Sony workshop first, then learn from there and join the other forum members' outings later

not to destroy a business here, but explore other alternatives first

I had went for basic course from Sony. They only teach you the most basic thing only.

I had went for basic course from Sony. They only teach you the most basic thing only.

Sony course only touch abit of exposure and whats not.. teach more on what certain cam's function do.

so i suggest..
1. take a basic course as mentioned a bro above.. or join some classes here
2. Join photo outing - check here
3. learn a hard way - experiment yourself

Frankly, i think the manufacturer classes r more incline to teach the functions of their camera maybe promote here n there a bit but they wont bother to go into explaining wats an exposure all about, what when how who wont be covered much. Anyways, this shld be expected.

Frankly, i think the manufacturer classes r more incline to teach the functions of their camera maybe promote here n there a bit but they wont bother to go into explaining wats an exposure all about, what when how who wont be covered much. Anyways, this shld be expected.

Actually, the manufacturer's classes will make sure you understand the features of the camera you bought. The Sony one covers the exposure triangle, explains aperture, depth of field, the effects of shutter speed and ISO, etc. But of course, you need to pay attention and be able to learn. ;)

Sony course only touch abit of exposure and whats not.. teach more on what certain cam's function do.

so i suggest..
1. take a basic course as mentioned a bro above.. or join some classes here
2. Join photo outing - check here
3. learn a hard way - experiment yourself

i happen to have taken one class before. it was good. explained all about exposure. of course, you can't cram everything into 3 hours right? plus they also have additional outdoor classes with practicals: SDW. i've attended and it's pretty good for newbies

but just like what Rashkae said, you see some people just doing their own stuff and NOT listening

Actually, the manufacturer's classes will make sure you understand the features of the camera you bought. The Sony one covers the exposure triangle, explains aperture, depth of field, the effects of shutter speed and ISO, etc. But of course, you need to pay attention and be able to learn. ;)

These are the people, as i have seen in that class, who ask the instructor something which he had just covered in-depth. throughout the class they were just messing on their phones or playing with the camera. you know, frankly speaking, i was very annoyed because these people obviously were wasting everyone's time.

and in the end, they stayed back to ask further questions.

so before you say the class is not good at all, go listen properly.

What more do you need? Get the basic right, then work your way up from there. From some of your post before (don't know are they before or after the course you have taken), you would need to brush up on your basic first.

Of course getting a paid course is good too... and joining outings are good too. The most important thing is to shoot some photos, when you get nice photos that are to your expectation (note: the key word here is YOUR and not others), then your confidence will grow and you will enjoy photography more. Only by enjoying photography, would you really appreciate this hobby and wanting to shoot more ;)

Rashkae said:

Yeah man. Sony basic course is good enough. Already cover the trinity liao.