Transitions Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm ... seems like the price is somewhat the same. Spent about $900 1.5 years ago; it was a high-indexed and I have high astig too ...

By the way, Rodenstock does look interesting ... especially pairing their Rodaflex Twin with ColorMatic lenses ...

Price since to have come down a little. I was quoted 1k 2 years ago and this year I was quoted 750 from the same shop. Yeah, rodenstock looks interesting. Wondering what is the damage rate going to be.

Price since to have come down a little. I was quoted 1k 2 years ago and this year I was quoted 750 from the same shop. Yeah, rodenstock looks interesting. Wondering what is the damage rate going to be.

You check it out for us lor; maybe we should conduct a MO? :bsmilie:

Oakley Jackknife 2.0 + Essilor Transition (Transit to Brown Tint; usually it is the dark grey tint) for approx $SGD 625 @ Kwong Shin Optical @ Bras Basah. Price is from about 2 years ago. Worked wonders for me when I go outdoors for photo shoot.

Latest Transitions lenses are Generation 6. If quoted cheaper... you got to find out it's Gen 5 or Gen 6 lenses. Gen 6 suppose to turn from light to dark and vv faster then 5. It's also darker outdoor (agree as i have the 5 and 6) and whiter indoor (this i cnot see the difference).

If you want good lenses with transitions, check out Rodenstock. Solid.

I have just found out that this is another well established brand. Quality is better but most shop don' carry them. Yet to get a quotation for this brand.

Latest Transitions lenses are Generation 6. If quoted cheaper... you got to find out it's Gen 5 or Gen 6 lenses. Gen 6 suppose to turn from light to dark and vv faster then 5. It's also darker outdoor (agree as i have the 5 and 6) and whiter indoor (this i cnot see the difference).

Price quoted is Gen 6.

Most probably my next pair of glasses will be transitions lenses. Forget that I can claim 200 from company :D

those old oakley non-transition sun glasses can be converted to transition lenses?

maybe they are L lenses.. thats why ex.... hows the CA? sharp or not the lens....?

Price quoted is Gen 6.

Most probably my next pair of glasses will be transitions lenses. Forget that I can claim 200 from company :D

Get the normal organic aka plastic. Polycarbonate aka Airwear Transitions effect not as good as normal organic due to constraint on the material. Poly is thinner and lighter with 1.6 index though. Normal plastic go as high as 1.74 but tat gonna cost you a bomb if your power is high.

those old oakley non-transition sun glasses can be converted to transition lenses?

You cnot convert an existing sunglasses lens to transitions. I think the photochromic material is added during the molding process. However, you can replaced your sunglasses lens with prescribe transitions lens. Provided your frame isn't those wrap around type. Due to the curvature, not much labs can edge curve, prescribe lenses. Even if they can, there will be distortion.

Although it can block out almost all uv, transitions lens are not as good as Oakley in term of blocking visible light or glare.

Transitions work with UV. If your car had uv protection coating installed, don't buy a transitions lens solely for driving. Never work coz all the uv had being filtered off. This is quite important as friend of mine jump up and down over this after spending close to 1k frame plus lenses. Get a polariser lens instead.

Hope this helps. :)

Get the normal organic aka plastic. Polycarbonate aka Airwear Transitions effect not as good as normal organic due to constraint on the material. Poly is thinner and lighter with 1.6 index though. Normal plastic go as high as 1.74 but tat gonna cost you a bomb if your power is high.

You cnot convert an existing sunglasses lens to transitions. I think the photochromic material is added during the molding process. However, you can replaced your sunglasses lens with prescribe transitions lens. Provided your frame isn't those wrap around type. Due to the curvature, not much labs can edge curve, prescribe lenses. Even if they can, there will be distortion.

Although it can block out almost all uv, transitions lens are not as good as Oakley in term of blocking visible light or glare.

Transitions work with UV. If your car had uv protection coating installed, don't buy a transitions lens solely for driving. Never work coz all the uv had being filtered off. This is quite important as friend of mine jump up and down over this after spending close to 1k frame plus lenses. Get a polariser lens instead.

Hope this helps. :)

Tks for the info. Main purpose is for travelling.

Just made a pair recently... paid $280 for the transition lens alone... no astigmatism and short sight ard 200+deg. My last paid pair back ard 3-4yrs was $480. Mine may not be high index as my degree is small.

Alternative choice is photo-gray. But it will not change as dark as transition lenses. But advantage is glass cos was told that transition lens only comes in plastics form. Personally I prefer glass lenses over plastics as I find glass lenses seems to me that images look sharper and it is much tougher to scratches. Do also remember to ask first as my first pair of transition lens is done on a not as high optical plastics which personally I find that images seems not as sharp. Aparently if I'm not wrong, transition lenses is just a technology on coating so it also depends very much on the quality of the material it is coated on. In total now I've 3pair of specs on transition and 1pair on photo-gray. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
2 months ago I was quoted $280 at Yes! Suntec....plus an Oakley frame everything in is close to $600 .... so end up I went for Lasik instead....degree was 200/250....now my vision is 6/4.5.....can look true viewfinder no need to worry about sweaty glass :)

Just made a pair recently... paid $280 for the transition lens alone... no astigmatism and short sight ard 200+deg. My last paid pair back ard 3-4yrs was $480. Mine may not be high index as my degree is small.

Alternative choice is photo-gray. But it will not change as dark as transition lenses. But advantage is glass cos was told that transition lens only comes in plastics form. Personally I prefer glass lenses over plastics as I find glass lenses seems to me that images look sharper and it is much tougher to scratches. Do also remember to ask first as my first pair of transition lens is done on a not as high optical plastics which personally I find that images seems not as sharp. Aparently if I'm not wrong, transition lenses is just a technology on coating so it also depends very much on the quality of the material it is coated on. In total now I've 3pair of specs on transition and 1pair on photo-gray. :bsmilie:

Tks for the info. I prefer glass as well and I have one plastic lenses for sport and work. My glass lenses is more for reading/TV and most importantly for photography. Yes, images from glass since clearer to me. Don't know why.

I think when it comes down to prices, it's also important to state the index as well.

Did a casual pop-by to a neighbourhood to ask for a 1.6 index, power around 500+ Transitions Gen 6, and it was around $330. 1.67 index was around in the 500s.

Anyway, hope the performance's good, although you need to understand that it can never get as dark as they show in the demos (they darken it with a UV lamp).

Does anyone know where to get the Rodaflex Twin frame in Singapore? Been looking for it with not much success...am a big fan of the frames though since it lasted me 7 years...

should be about S$400 or less for lenses only
shop around

No fix price, it depends on the type of lens and degree of correction. Lenses for correcting astigmatism is never cheap. Not surprise to see people with high astig pays 2-3 times more.

Last edited:
I got a set with CZ, yes, Carl Zeiss lenses about 2 years ago for about 600 plus.

Well, it was my first time using CZ, as soon as I put it on, I could see far, see near with the progressive. Perfect vision, much better than the pair before. Worth every cent of it.

But, not transition, just OT a bit to share.

Got it done at the corner shop near Courts AMK. Just cannot recall the name of the shop.

just for info
did a no brand tag heuer look alike spec frame (just frame is 80)
did it with a Carl Zesis Transition lens at $200 total damage
Power 400 for both eyes
Asmag 50 for both eyes
No high index lens

Status
Not open for further replies.