tips on what (not)to do in shanghai, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a serviced apartment instead, if you're staying there for 1 month... afterall, S$70 a day works out to S$2,100 a month, and $1,000 to $1,500 can get you a comfortable serviced apartment.

tingchiyen said:
Try a serviced apartment instead, if you're staying there for 1 month... afterall, S$70 a day works out to S$2,100 a month, and $1,000 to $1,500 can get you a comfortable serviced apartment.

has been considering that option actually, i tried to look for one on shanghaiexpat.com and apparently no one wants to rent out for one month only, got rejected a number of times :cry:

eikin said:
preferrably ard The Bund area, further out is ok cos can always walk around other places ... right now the budget is around S$70 for 2 persons, so i guess is around 350RMB...just a clean standard room, i worry more about security of the lodging actually

Rest assures on the security, most hotels in Shanghai are very safe.

The Bund Area:

New Asia Star Longshen Inn Tel: 021-63309988 Price: 250-288RMB

Shen Hua Business Hotel Tel: 021-63778686 Price: 200-299RMB

Liangliang Hotel Tel: 021-63743969 Price: 200-400RMB

Liangan Dujia Hotel Tel: 021-63782200 Price: 120-200RMB

Chuangye Hotel Tel: 021-63235188 Price: 230-660RMB

Some of the Rooms come with Broadband, do call and check first.

Simon said:
Rest assures on the security, most hotels in Shanghai are very safe.

The Bund Area:

New Asia Star Longshen Inn Tel: 021-63309988 Price: 250-288RMB

Shen Hua Business Hotel Tel: 021-63778686 Price: 200-299RMB

Liangliang Hotel Tel: 021-63743969 Price: 200-400RMB

Liangan Dujia Hotel Tel: 021-63782200 Price: 120-200RMB

Chuangye Hotel Tel: 021-63235188 Price: 230-660RMB

Some of the Rooms come with Broadband, do call and check first.

whoa, thanks alot man! :D this is definitely very helpful :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: most hotels i find on the net are so expensive

eikin said:
hohoho...every city has an active sex industry :devil:

you have any idea where the redlight zones are? i'll be covering some stuff about changing urban programs over the years, will be interesting to map out the sex industry as well (most urban studies choose to ignore this important component of what a city is about, heheh) and also will be good to know in case i bump into the area without me knowing it :bsmilie: can be dangerous :think:

Redlight zones? I think most discos are redlight zones to some extent or other. At places like Club 97, probably 80-90% of the chicks are looking to be brought out so better watch it. Besides, drinking there is not that cheap compared to SG unless you buy at the local versions of 7-11 and drink in the room :p

Anyway I think some of the other mentioned the stuff to watch out for.. beggers - there are tons of them on the road, you can never finish giving one. Girls who ask for the time...you know what they want (to rip you off actually). Persistent hawkers (alwways young girls) selling flowers who will follow you for miles. Shopping at Xiang Yang Mkt etc .. if they start at RMB850 you can normally get it for RMB 150 eventually <- Not kidding.. have personally done this. Safety wise pretty good... just beware the pickpockets etc. Beware when crossing the road, traffic is on the other side of the street and no vehicle will stop for pedestrian traffic lights or zebra crossings.. when in doubt find a local to follow.

Hope this helps.

Simon said:
This is totally un-truth, I would rate Shanghai safer then walking on the street of Johor.

For your information, there are lots of hobbyist photographers who carry DSLR in Shanghai.

erm whether its safer than johore i don't know, but during my recent trip to shanghai,
1. one of my friends had her bag snatched, and received cuts on her hand from the penknife he was carrying when she grabbed it back.... and the passerby just stood and watched. :angry:

2. a group of my other classmates nearly got robbed =\ armed as well

Status
Not open for further replies.