tamron 17-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the Tamron will do the job well.

I'd say the Tamron will do the job well.

I'm using the Tamron 17-50 and just did a wed event for a friend on Sunday, the results were great.

I think the question is really how much u wanna spend. If you can afford it, get the 17-55, it will be the last Standard Zoom lens you'll ever buy, cos its the best, and not just cos of its resolution but also cos its the only one with IS (i dunno abt Nikon lenses though). Its amazing how much an extra 2 or 3 stops from the IS can help you. When you upgrade to FF you'll probably look at the 24-70 but it wont have IS also.

But if you cant afford it now you can always get the tamron and upgrade later, the tamron retains its value quite well, so you wont lose much when you sell it off.

When you upgrade to FF you'll probably look at the 24-70 but it wont have IS also.

There is tamron 28-75 which won't dissapoint also ;)

Bros!!!
Sorry to interupt a sec pls.

I own 450D with kit lens IS and looking for a little more reach.
Is there a Tamon 17-135 and does it have IS/OS cos my hand is shaky, alternatively I am also wonder is Sigma have similiar range and do you know wha is the estimate cost.

So which is a sharper lens Sigma or Tamron?

I owned a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS B4, found that is not that sharp and heavy to hug around on trip, as such downgrade to 125mm/135mm lol,

Thankx
Stan

Bros!!!
Sorry to interupt a sec pls.

I own 450D with kit lens IS and looking for a little more reach.
Is there a Tamon 17-135 and does it have IS/OS cos my hand is shaky, alternatively I am also wonder is Sigma have similiar range and do you know wha is the estimate cost.

So which is a sharper lens Sigma or Tamron?

I owned a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS B4, found that is not that sharp and heavy to hug around on trip, as such downgrade to 125mm/135mm lol,

Thankx
Stan

Sidetrack a bit: i m the one who bought ur Sigma 18-200 which when u were selling to me u were saying VERY SHARP throughout the range but now here u admit it wasn't sharp....hmmm....

Anyway for me i actually found it to be at least as sharp as my 17-85 IS USM as well as other lens which i used to own incl the famous Tamron 17-50/2.8 (i have a standard set of pics which i use to compare all lens dat i buy). Regarding the weight, though i agree its kinda heavy (how light do u expect an 18-200 to be?), wat i can say is if u carry a 18-55 & 55-250 (total range of 18-250) it will be heavier and bulkier than a single 18-200, not to mention have to switch lens along the way whereas now i can just use this one lens for all my needs. So overall definitely a good lens and no regrets.

Anyway i though ur body was 400D (which u're trying to sell), not 450D.

Back to topic, though i ve not tried the EFS 17-55/2.8 IS USM, i would say given that the tammy is less than half the price, its definitely great VFM if u're looking for this kind of range with f2.8. And even if u buy it as a stop gap lens, the great thing is that it carries its value very well (esp with the 3 yr warranty) so u lose very little when u sell it away later (provided u take care of it of course).

Sidetrack a bit: i m the one who bought ur Sigma 18-200 which when u were selling to me u were saying VERY SHARP throughout the range but now here u admit it wasn't sharp....hmmm....

Anyway for me i actually found it to be at least as sharp as my 17-85 IS USM as well as other lens which i used to own incl the famous Tamron 17-50/2.8 (i have a standard set of pics which i use to compare all lens dat i buy). Regarding the weight, though i agree its kinda heavy (how light do u expect an 18-200 to be?), wat i can say is if u carry a 18-55 & 55-250 (total range of 18-250) it will be heavier and bulkier than a single 18-200, not to mention have to switch lens along the way whereas now i can just use this one lens for all my needs. So overall definitely a good lens and no regrets.

Anyway i though ur body was 400D (which u're trying to sell), not 450D.

Back to topic, though i ve not tried the EFS 17-55/2.8 IS USM, i would say given that the tammy is less than half the price, its definitely great VFM if u're looking for this kind of range with f2.8. And even if u buy it as a stop gap lens, the great thing is that it carries its value very well (esp with the 3 yr warranty) so u lose very little when u sell it away later (provided u take care of it of course).

Gosh, are you implying he is ....
Omg, I got to be more careful next time.

Anyway back to this topic, I own a Tamron 28-75mm on my 40D body. Yes it is real sharp, but the sharpness varies in different form such as
(1) The f-stop you shot at
(2) The zoom range you use
(3) Lighting condition that you evaluate the result
(4) Minimum / Maximum focusing distance (once I tried to do a macro shot at less than 0.1m, and when I re-read the specs again, it stated minimum focusing distance 0.33m ~ now I know why that image is "soft").

And there are usually 3 factors to sharpness ~ (1) Center sharpness, (2) Border sharpness, (3) Extreme border sharpness. I got these 3 factors from www.photozone.de . You may want to go over the site to read them up.

~ my 2 cents

Gosh, are you implying he is ....
Omg, I got to be more careful next time.

Well, its just marketing i guess. And anyway all this sharp or not sharp is subjective (like whether a car is nice or not). Dats why at the end of the day, when buying need to test. But luckily in my case i am happy enough so not a major issue.

hi, can someone with a sharp copy of the tamron 17-50 post a high resolution/big big photo here please? I went to a shop to test 3 copy of the tamron and all appear like not very sharp leh. How sharp should a sharp copy be?

Between the 28-75 and 17-50, which is sharper in the 30-50mm range?

Btw, boxed local set and no-box grey set got difference in quality or sharpness?

Edit: Or maybe the copies I tested were 'leftover" from previous testing by other customers? Anyone know which shop can get a good copy of the lens easily?

Last edited:
hi, can someone with a sharp copy of the tamron 17-50 post a high resolution/big big photo here please? I went to a shop to test 3 copy of the tamron and all appear like not very sharp leh. How sharp should a sharp copy be?

Between the 28-75 and 17-50, which is sharper in the 30-50mm range?

Btw, boxed local set and no-box grey set got difference in quality or sharpness?

Edit: Or maybe the copies I tested were 'leftover" from previous testing by other customers? Anyone know which shop can get a good copy of the lens easily?

OP has a lot of sets for you to test..lol...
provided you r friendly and sincere to buy..
haha...

i need abit of help here...my 17-50 has alot of problem when doing auto focusing..i always cant get the AF points i wanted and always have to try a few times..

ok lets say if i set the AF point manually, canon users can enlighten me if i m able to select more than 1 AF point? if yes, how to go abt doing it?

The 17-50 is a good lens... but the EF-S 17-55mm is the best lens in this zoom range if you are on a 1.6x crop. I have used it for a few months, and I am extremely happy with the results. I say it's money well spent. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Pay 1c get 1c. Pay 1 dollar get 1 dollar. :D
Tamron is ok. Canon is v.good.

But once u get tamron, then u will always ask yourself, maybe if i got canon i can get better picture than this ... human are like that.

But note than Canon is much more bigger & heavy than tamron.
viewfinder v,bright. tamron is dark. the whole world knows u are focusing.!

Hi guys

I am intending to get this lens for myself but i am not sure if my dslr (350d) is able to support it? I seen alot of user who are 400d and above but none are 350d . is sit advisable for me to get this lens with my 350d?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys

I am intending to get this lens for myself but i am not sure if my dslr (350d) is able to support it? I seen alot of user who are 400d and above but none are 350d . is sit advisable for me to get this lens with my 350d?

Thanks in advance

I dont see why not? Shd be able to work with your cam.

5261869]I dont see why not? Shd be able to work with your cam.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=cichlid;

Thanks for the reply =)

Another question.

What does Lens without a box meant? Does that mean a second hand lens ? or issit like the shop say, they buy in bulk then it is cheaper but its still first hand

How much is the current tamron 17-50mm f2.8 with build in motor?

Some joker tried to con me by telling me that CP is currently selling it for 389..
Sheesh! :nono:

h*******9 said:
reanimator said:
WTS: Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 for $550

The current price of the lens (brand new) is $389.00 at Cathay Photo.. So I don't expect to save $40 to buy second hand.

How about I pay $350.00 for your lens,with trade in of Canon 18-55mm lens (4months used only)

Kindly state the condition of your lens.:)

haha..
where did that joker get the price from?
he called CP?
i dun believe that price too..

Status
Not open for further replies.