Straits Times breaks Copyright Act (chp 63)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Straits Times is no longer that straight anymore...

Straits Times breaks Copyright Act (chp 63)..... :think:

mayb b4 u prove the thing to be true, u can add a "?" to the statement like wat the papers like to do...

hazekang said:
Straits Times breaks Copyright Act (chp 63)..... :think:

mayb b4 u prove the thing to be true, u can add a "?" to the statement like wat the papers like to do...

grin
yeah or they may sue me for defamation right?
hehehe.
can't change the topic title...if a mod wants to change it go ahead

Anyway seems like the person you were referring to doesn't really know. I'll check with my lawyer friend for more information. if anyone can chip in more law information that will be helpful

In the meantime, will check with Straits Times tomorrow
but somehow I have a feeling I know how they will respond...

Any suggestions on which department of mediacorp? I'm only aware of their broadcast news channels, do they have any print news media?

thanks, sent a short email.
Will be more useful for me to call straits times up first before going any further, just to get the facts straight....

Don't know the fair dealing in Copyright Act applies...

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/
COPYRIGHT ACT (CHAPTER 63)
DIVISION 3 — ACTS NOT CONSTITUTING INFRINGEMENTS OF COPYRIGHT WORKS

yes I see what you mean....
I wonder if it is fair then for newspapers to take photographs from anyone without asking, just for the sake of reporting of current affairs, and just creditting them.
There should be some case of this kind of thing happening before, at least in other countries yeah?

------------------

Fair dealing for purpose of reporting current events
37. A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or musical work, shall not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work if it is for the purpose of, or is associated with, the reporting of current events —

(a) in a newspaper, magazine or similar periodical and a sufficient acknowledgment of the work is made; or

(b) by means of broadcasting or a cable programme service or in a cinematograph film.

It's ok, ST is still within legal boundary.

Here's section 36 of the copyright-related Act.
Fair dealing for purpose of criticism or review
36. A fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or with an adaptation of a literary, dramatic or musical work, shall not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the work if it is for the purpose of criticism or review, whether of that work or of another work, and a sufficient acknowledgment of the work is made.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...ctitle=COPYRIGHT ACT &date=latest&method=part

mattlock said:
thanks, sent a short email.
Will be more useful for me to call straits times up first before going any further, just to get the facts straight....
Would be better if your friend call, coz the pic belongs to him, not yours anyway.. :)

I don't think any prior permission is needed, especially since it's a critique and the photos have been credited to their owners. Should be okay, under Fair Use.

Of course, it would have been courtesy to inform the owners first, but maybe they missed that out. If you look at BBC's news, they try to keep out ads and logos in their photos. Not like ST's.

Status
Not open for further replies.