Speedlight or speed lense ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
if u want to catch children in they normal selves dont u think the flash would be some sort of a "distraction" to them ?

thats wat i thinking .... and also too much flash is not good for kids

Dear Brothers,

I am new in DSLR and I hope someone can advise.

I recently got my D60 and plan to upgrade with one of the following options

1. Speedlight SB-600
2. Speed lense

To take kids photo in house and some time outdoor, which option should I go first. If speed lense is recommended, which lense should I go for (third party lense is welcomed).

My budget should not exceed $600.

Depends on how old your kids are. If below 6 month old, it's best to avoid flash. If older, flash should be ok. Is your pop up flash inadequate already? I mainly shoot at ISO800 with the D60 and I find the pop up flash adequate for many situations even with the kit lens. If you need a fast lens, then you can check out the Sigma 30/1.4 HSM which will AF on the D60 body, but last I know, the price may be slightly above your budget. See http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366123

Depends on how old your kids are. If below 6 month old, it's best to avoid flash. If older, flash should be ok. Is your pop up flash inadequate already? I mainly shoot at ISO800 with the D60 and I find the pop up flash adequate for many situations even with the kit lens. If you need a fast lens, then you can check out the Sigma 30/1.4 HSM which will AF on the D60 body, but last I know, the price may be slightly above your budget. See http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366123

u got any recommendation of lens for D60?
esp those can auto focus on D60.

D60 very troublesome, so many lenses cannot use autofocus

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 AN16II version would give you a taste of affordable and flexible fast lens! There are Sigmas out in the market too with HSM.

True, there are tonnes of lenses out there which cannot AF with the D60. But how many do you think you would actually use?

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 AN16II version would give you a taste of affordable and flexible fast lens! There are Sigmas out in the market too with HSM.

True, there are tonnes of lenses out there which cannot AF with the D60. But how many do you think you would actually use?

i wonder where is a good place or shop to get 3rd party lenses?
I need cheap, good, and can AF with D60... (haiz so sad!)

For third party lenses, always go to the recommended shops. At least they have a reputation to upkeep!

By the way, have you maximised what your 18-55mm VR can do? Are you feeling "sad" because you're focusing on what it can't do?

For third party lenses, always go to the recommended shops. At least they have a reputation to upkeep!

By the way, have you maximised what your 18-55mm VR can do? Are you feeling "sad" because you're focusing on what it can't do?

i intend to sell my 18-55 because alrdy have a 18-200.
So now i looking for portrait lenses, but most of them cannot AF with D60

brother sin77 has been spending pretty much on camera stuff..!

lol..

btw to threadstarter.. i guess speedlight might be a more "affordable" solution for your problem.. but be careful too coz it's not as if it solves everything.. with speedlight comes a whole new set of skills that you will need to know to use it properly..

cheers and happy shooting..

U are not shooting sports, so i think fast lens not really necessary... Flash shld be a better investment esp for indoors situation... Outdoors, if the lighting is good, use ur kit lens is very good already.. btw, VR does not reduce motion shakes, only ur handshakes so if ur kids are running abt and u wonder why even with VR, ur pics are still blur, this is normal :bsmilie:...

brother sin77 has been spending pretty much on camera stuff..!

lol..

btw to threadstarter.. i guess speedlight might be a more "affordable" solution for your problem.. but be careful too coz it's not as if it solves everything.. with speedlight comes a whole new set of skills that you will need to know to use it properly..

cheers and happy shooting..

yah man... UV lens $50 and CPL $100 liao.
Then also bought sb600 ($360), lenspen ($10), dry cabinet ($105), softpouch ($40)

Still got more to buy:
Diffuser, fast lens (50mm f1.8 or otherwise)

Later on still got:
Strap, ND, closeup filter, etc.

Lucky i alrdy got tripod and GND filters

have you tried continous focus?

yah man... UV lens $50 and CPL $100 liao.
Then also bought sb600 ($360), lenspen ($10), dry cabinet ($105), softpouch ($40)
Still got more to buy:
Diffuser, fast lens (50mm f1.8 or otherwise)
Later on still got:
Strap, ND, closeup filter, etc.

Wah, you're deeply in poison lah! Slow down and space out bro, photo equipment is not rice lah, no need to hoard!

Well, aren't we all! :cheers:

u got any recommendation of lens for D60?
esp those can auto focus on D60.

I mostly use the kit lens on D60. The reason I bought the D60 is because I wanted something light which I can throw around. Seriously, don't let the inability to AF cripple you. Nikon made up for it by giving you a very good rangefinder display, even better than the implementation in D2X and D3..

i intend to sell my 18-55 because alrdy have a 18-200.
So now i looking for portrait lenses, but most of them cannot AF with D60

You can try Sigma 50/1.4 HSM. Don't come cheap though..

You can try Sigma 50/1.4 HSM. Don't come cheap though..

wat is the range ($)?
can use with reverse ring for macro?

wat is the range ($)?
can use with reverse ring for macro?

I think the price I see floating around in here is about $850. Don't see a reason why it cannot be reversed for macro except it probably doesn't have an aperture ring, so you need to control the aperture using a finger to actuate the lever. I think the front diameter is larger than 52mm also, so you'll need a step down ring if you want to reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.