So what is a reasonable amt to pay ....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
smurfman said:
example only lar........:bsmilie:

but if everyone go per hour, it will be the best for all, as who would wanna charge below $50/-???

Cos if ppl charge this amt, the couple will also consider.

I do came across a couple budget only S$450-S$500 for a whole day wedding shoot. How to do?:dunno:

Canonised said:
So much have been commented on "paying peanuts get monkey's standard" on wedding/events photography ......
So what is a reasonable amount to pay "semi-pro or self-proclaimed pro" for such events .... of course we are not referring to the real Professional or ppl in the trade but those part-timers/weekend photographers, etc..? Of course we are also not talking about the standard or quality of the photographers ...
$50 an hour? $80? $100? $200? reasonable? (let's be realistic..) :think:

so how many weddings do you want to do a year? how much money is worth your time?
Where do you think your images stand? What is your prespection of photography in general?

Are you tan chek? or passionate? or just love the event so much money is never a factor to shoot?

there are just so many factors involved.

i wish i could charge $1500 an hour, shoot 20-30 weddings a year. Maybe i need to move to a market that will pay this prices. Many talented professionals will move on to places where their worth is: Clang,Wesley etc.

Not saying i have reached that level but i aspire to. There will be a fallout with the best talents in singapore unable to sustain their growth with their prices. Either they move on to commerial jobs (the Pond) or overseas to further their business.

drumma said:
yes yes yes. i just got a call. for 400, with 60 pages of coffee table, unlimited hours(hers splited into 2 days), no transport fee!! omg! am i paying to shoot?!

seriously, sg sites involving wedding photography should just set up a price education thread and sticky it!
Put your price upfront, no one will ask you to this kind of offer any more.

Hi Canonise,

It is true what Catchlights says.....
Everyone can charge whatever that want !!!!
no body can really put you into the standard prices.....

Couples with low budget will not really have care much of on the photography..... !!!
they are more than happy to see most of their important event has been caught by the CAM.
Like what I did... I only charge them approx S$ 700-800 for Whole day events.....
plus 300 4R prints enclose in the Album (Excluding transport fees) .

However, In USA.... minimum charge of AD events can up to $US 4000-5000 for whole day weddings event. However, clients have very high expectations on the Photography itself.
and they reserve the right not to pay if their expectation are not met.
And only really skillful Photographers can meet up to this standard.
So based on the conclusion above, prices ranges from every of Clients Expectations.....

Belle&Sebastain said:
so how many weddings do you want to do a year? how much money is worth your time?
Where do you think your images stand? What is your prespection of photography in general?

Are you tan chek? or passionate? or just love the event so much money is never a factor to shoot?

there are just so many factors involved.

i wish i could charge $1500 an hour, shoot 20-30 weddings a year. Maybe i need to move to a market that will pay this prices. Many talented professionals will move on to places where their worth is: Clang,Wesley etc.

Not saying i have reached that level but i aspire to. There will be a fallout with the best talents in singapore unable to sustain their growth with their prices. Either they move on to commerial jobs (the Pond) or overseas to further their business.

If you got what it takes, overseas will be better. Photographers are more well respected in a sense.:)

Canonised said:
So much have been commented on "paying peanuts get monkey's standard" on wedding/events photography ......
So what is a reasonable amount to pay "semi-pro or self-proclaimed pro" for such events .... of course we are not referring to the real Professional or ppl in the trade but those part-timers/weekend photographers, etc..? Of course we are also not talking about the standard or quality of the photographers ...
$50 an hour? $80? $100? $200? reasonable? (let's be realistic..) :think:

My company standard offering for Event Coverage, like Seminars, Conferences, products luanch, and even D&D and those PR events and shots, is at $200 per hour, with deliverable in Hi-res edited images in Photo-CD.

There are profesional companies charging at $500 per hour, but most are charging between $100 - $200 per hour.

As for freelancers, you could almost always get the job if your quote $80 and below ...

Btw, for Weddings events, i think the 'rates' are much influenced by how much the couple wanted and willing to pay -- it that simple.

Nick Goh | www.nickgoh.com

Belle&Sebastain said:
Well, if you think this way, would resturants/venues think like you too? Before you cut your rates, ask your couples, what resturants and how many guests they have. Its a great indicator what their spending power is and trust me, its not that they do not have enough money, its because they never expect photography to cost that much. As a photographer, you have to create that precieved value for your clients.

if i drop my rates to 50%, my client base will still be roughly the same. Quite a number of 'heartland' couples have a low prespection of actual day photography. Its our job to educate our clients our actual worth and increase our precieved value.
agreed with you.

So people, don't listen to them when they tell you no budget, don't ever accept a $500 wedding, you sure will bang your head to the wall when you see the groom come with a Rolls to fatch the bride, if you really really want to give discount to them, decide it after seeing thier newly wed room.

catchlights said:
if you really really want to give discount to them, decide it after seeing their newly wed room.

Power sia! Cow-tow to si-fu.:sweat:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
think u missed the 1st point of points...

If no money to engage a proper photographer, then dun engage 1...

so u mean the rest should capitalise on cheapskate photography?

Del_CtrlnoAlt,

I have to agree to your observation and rationale --- If one have no money for a 'proper' photographer, then dn't engage one.

For those who think by offering a hand and volunteer for someone who can't afford a working photographer, then you got to rethink again. Why ?, becos more often than not, when you put your best and do a good job ( in your own words ), couples are usually not appreciatives ( for volunteers ), and when things go wrong, or not up to their expectation, you'll be sad to know that many friendships go sore becos of wrong expectation and misunderstandings ...

A 'Poor' wedding couple who go thru a wedding, actually do NOT need a working photographer to cover the event. They can go thru it without any recording or documentation ( and that's too bad ). A simple PnS cameras from their friends and relatives can do. It is their own priority for whichever comes first ... and at the end of the event, they will be the Ones who will live to tell the tales and story, to their friends and families.

Nowadays, a good heart volunteers ( without agenda ) are rare, but if anyone are One, you'll soon learn the reality ...

BTW, different strokes different folks.

drumma said:
yes yes yes. i just got a call. for 400, with 60 pages of coffee table, unlimited hours(hers splited into 2 days), no transport fee!! omg! am i paying to shoot?!

seriously, sg sites involving wedding photography should just set up a price education thread and sticky it!

wow!!! amazing, by the way, u got ask shd u give them ang bao in return?

smurfman said:
wow!!! amazing, by the way, u got ask shd u give them ang bao in return?

LOL!:bsmilie: Pei le fu ren you zhe bing!:sweat: Sui sia!;p

Enchanted said:
Del_CtrlnoAlt,

I have to agree to your observation and rationale --- If one have no money for a 'proper' photographer, then dn't engage one.

For those who think by offering a hand and volunteer for someone who can't afford a working photographer, then you got to rethink again. Why ?, becos more often than not, when you put your best and do a good job ( in your own words ), couples are usually not appreciatives ( for volunteers ), and when things go wrong, or not up to their expectation, you'll be sad to know that many friendships go sore becos of wrong expectation and misunderstandings ...

A 'Poor' wedding couple who go thru a wedding, actually do NOT need a working photographer to cover the event. They can go thru it without any recording or documentation ( and that's too bad ). A simple PnS cameras from their friends and relatives can do. It is their own priority for whichever comes first ... and at the end of the event, they will be the Ones who will live to tell the tales and story, to their friends and families.

Nowadays, a good heart volunteers ( without agenda ) are rare, but if anyone are One, you'll soon learn the reality ...

BTW, different strokes different folks.

yup u elaborated well enuff...

and i learnt it the hard way... so no more wedding photography for me... :devil:

Agreed with Nick, a "poor" wedding couple will normally willing to forgo a photographer to record thier wedding day event, if anyone is offering them out of good will, by sponser a photographer or shoot for them, the couple will accept it with thanks.

Like I say before, if couple have high expectation on photography, than the have to pay for it. on the other hand, don't any how offer your service, if you are not up to par, even though you want to do it for low rate or free.

In the end, it may like what the Chinese saying: The piggy god looking at mirror, inside and outside are not human.

catchlights said:
Agreed with Nick, a "poor" wedding couple will normally willing to forgo a photographer to record thier wedding day event, if anyone is offering them out of good will, by sponser a photographer or shoot for them, the couple will accept it with thanks.

Like I say before, if couple have high expectation on photography, than the have to pay for it. on the other hand, don't any how offer your service, if you are not up to par, even though you want to do it for low rate or free.

In the end, it may like what the Chinese saying: The piggy god looking at mirror, inside and outside are not human.

piggy god? :think:

catchlights said:

Dear All,

Catchlights is one of the 'Lighthouse' of our times ... for those who are lost in the sea of darkness, you may navigate your vessel again, by wathcing out for this Lighthouse -- his words are :thumbsup:

Anyway, everyone got to learn thru mistakes and experiences ... without it NO One can grows and matured from it. ... Good Luck.

catchlights said:
monkey god is big brother leh, piggy god is the number 2, "Sa" monk is number 3, and the dragon horse is number 4.

tat horsey like zho bo tai ji 1 hor... for most of the time, its just that horsey that ran away... :think:

anyway, OT liao... :bsmilie:

Enchanted said:
Dear All,

Catchlights is one of the 'Lighthouse' of our times ... for those who are lost in the sea of darkness, you may navigate your vessel again, by wathcing out for this Lighthouse -- his words are :thumbsup:

Anyway, everyone got to learn thru mistakes and experiences ... without it NO One can grows and matured from it. ... Good Luck.

Suddently, I feel very stress....:sweat:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
tat horsey like zho bo tai ji 1 hor... for most of the time, its just that horsey that ran away... :think:

anyway, OT liao... :bsmilie:
hallo, you read story book or not?
without him, the si fu still hen da kaki in China now.

Ok as an amateur, i have shot events for clients and not charged them BUT I must put a disclaimer here. My clients only wanted me to record their events for them, they pay me top dollar for other work and the event is a just a by-product. As such, they only use if for internal reference and I when I quote them, I've factored in my time spent shooting into the pricing so it's not free per se.

BUT I agree that for photography for weddings, c'mon man, there's no need for ridiculously low amounts. You're just pricing yourself outta the whole thing by doing so.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am no wedding photographer but I have seen how some couples will squeeze photographers and take advantage of slow business to try and squeeze a good deal outta everyone. I hope for a day when photographers, like hotels, will band together and put a stop to all this undercutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.