So, how do Fuji cameras stack up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hi All,

About 2 weeks ago, a Canon rep came in and I asked, "What cam you tell me about the D10 that will make some one want to buy an ugly camera at a high cost ?"

He said to me, "The proof is in the photo".

OK I said... I then grabbed a Canon D10, a Panasonic FT1, An Olympus 6010 and a Fuji Z33WP

I set them all to auto and we went outside to the parking lot.

I handed each one to him and he took one shot with each.

We then came back in and I printed them all on the Fuji Fronteer machine.

He did himself NO favours !!!!

I use these photo's to sell cameras (underwater proof types).

Every customer picks the 6010 as the worst ! (bye bye Olympus)

Every customer picks the Fuji Z33 and the Canon D10 as the best.

Most are unsure on the Panasonic FT1

What do I sell the most of ??? Fuji Z33WP $300 less than the Canon D10

This, my friends, is a real statement !!! .... no trickery was done here .... simple facts.

Do I like other Fuji cameras ??? Ask me, I own a F70, an S1500, an S200 and I like them all.

I used to own an F810 but gave it to my sister, I loved it!

Cheers :)

PS. Am I trying to sell you a Fuji ? no, I don't know you.
I also own Canon, Olympus and Nikon DSLR's and love them.

Is he new to this line? By right should know how his product fare against competitors, use the strengths to sell. It's different as selling directly to consumers. Most consumers will place Canon as their top priority when buying a camera. Their perception is as long as it's Canon, it's good.

I seldom will hear people say want to buy Fujiflim camera, a complete zero among my friends. All of them saw my camera and give me the puzzled and 'yucks' look. When ask me to recommend and I say Fujiflim, they will go 'HAR? Fujiflim??? eeee....'

Then so proud of their Canon/Sony cameras, sing praises about their functions, capabilities at low light. But when photos are uploaded, it's a total story altogether. Most obvious are indoor shoots where high ISO are required. Then they will start asking why their pics are dark/blur/noisy while mine is good. I'm only using a F200 btw.

Adding on, most will say Canon interface best, easiest to use. But to me it's a matter of getting used. I used Fuji all the while and I struggle with a Canon when using one. It's like Nokia known to be user friendly but in fact, I struggle with it after using SE for years.

Last edited:
ya, alot of folks have some misgivings about Fujifilm cam. I now own 2 Fuji pns. First was Z33WP. Bought it for fun and usage at the pool. Not really good in low light, non-flash shots but ok for daylight. Just got a F200EXR a couple of days back. Finally a pns with usable low light, hi-iso pics. :)

Fujifilm has not been aggressive in their marketing at least in Spore, that's y.
Canon ads r everywhere in the newspapers and TV, their compact cameras models are upgraded so fast like hotcakes coming out of the pan, they do huge product launches and are endorsed by profesional events such as F1. There is also a feel good effect when someone desires a new gadget.

Its not a bad thing that they choose not to spend money on advertising. It keeps the price of the camera down for those in the know. ;) I converted 2 friends from Canon to Fuji and their initial reaction was that Fuji is not a good company but now they are glad they took my advice. (My girlfriend converted from Fuji to Canon though, but that's another story...)

I got my first Fuji 1-2 weeks back and I can't wait to get some test shots tmr. Hope the weather is fine.

Picture quality wise. Both Canon and Fuji have their own strengths.

Cosmetic wise, Canon looks 10 times better than the Fujis. Fuji cams are plain ugly. It may not matter to some and certainly matter to many others including myself. Mind you, I have owned at least 6 diff Fuji cams in the past and over 10 canons.

Its not a bad thing that they choose not to spend money on advertising. It keeps the price of the camera down for those in the know. ;) I converted 2 friends from Canon to Fuji and their initial reaction was that Fuji is not a good company but now they are glad they took my advice. (My girlfriend converted from Fuji to Canon though, but that's another story...)

I got my first Fuji 1-2 weeks back and I can't wait to get some test shots tmr. Hope the weather is fine.

Picture quality wise. Both Canon and Fuji have their own strengths.

Cosmetic wise, Canon looks 10 times better than the Fujis. Fuji cams are plain ugly. It may not matter to some and certainly matter to many others including myself. Mind you, I have owned at least 6 diff Fuji cams in the past and over 10 canons.

Agreed about the part on looks. As long as you upgrade from a previous generation, no matter what the brand is, there is going to be a noticeable increase in quality. That would explain why the girlfriend is happy moving from Fuji to Canon and the friends are happy moving from Canon to Fuji. However, I think Fujifilm is really one of the most innovative companies around and they have some unique offerings that no other companies have.

Canon and Fuji does has it's strength and weakness. Have some things I don't like about Fuji but the image quality compensates them. For causal shoots when I go out with friends, those taken by Canon ixus or Sony p&s really can't match up to Fuji. Mostly indoor shoots and at night so Fuji edges out, day shoots the good dynamic range helps, it's so obvious that everyone can notice at first sight.

Might not be a good comparison since that's where Fuji shines but the situations occur frequently, about to get the benefits often. BTW, all of us shoot using auto mode.

Last edited:
Actually for low light photography, Fuji losing some steam recently. Lumix LX-3 and Canon S90 have better low light capability than the current Fuji lineup I think.

Lets see how Fuji gonna win back this market segment for low light photography.

Canon and Fuji does has it's strength and weakness. Have some things I don't like about Fuji but the image quality compensates them. For causal shoots when I go out with friends, those taken by Canon ixus or Sony p&s really can't match up to Fuji. Mostly indoor shoots and at night so Fuji edges out, day shoots the good dynamic range helps, it's so obvious that everyone can notice at first sight.

Might not be a good comparison since that's where Fuji shines but the situations occur frequently, about to get the benefits often. BTW, all of us shoot using auto mode.

LX3 and S90 are the only 2 camera that can be a competitor but price difference is >$200. If not for price, I would have bought the lx3. They don't seem to be a p&s to me due to their price and features, can shoot in RAW.

You mean the price difference between Lx3 and S90? They are actually similarly priced.

LX3 and S90 are the only 2 camera that can be a competitor but price difference is >$200. If not for price, I would have bought the lx3. They don't seem to be a p&s to me due to their price and features, can shoot in RAW.

You mean the price difference between Lx3 and S90? They are actually similarly priced.

Oh, I mean the 2 compare with F200.

Status
Not open for further replies.