Singapore flag painted wrongly on new A380?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it will become another piece of useless knowledge.

Useless to you but it will be lots of $$$ and staying ahead of the competition to SIA.

Its so ironic. SQ said this plane will make their prices more competitive but tickets are 10-20% more than regular ones.......... anyway, I'm long done with SQ.
More competitive in relation to other airlines operating A380.

U can't expect an A380 to lower their prices until its like a 777 or 747 right? :dunno:

1578978260_c0213b73d1.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the flag.

Seems correct to me.. That's the right side of the plane, not left. The flag would be flying towards the tail side.

Ahahaha ... oops ... learn something new everyday. Anyway, doesn't make sense to a layman (like me ;p) when you look at a plane, its very distinct which side its pointing to and thus which side is port/starboard.
heh.. i guess it's like ambulance spelt the other way round :p

heh.. i guess it's like ambulance spelt the other way round :p

No lah.. it's more like you stick a real flag pole onto the plane and when it's moving, you should see the flag flying towards the tail. So in the case of the SG flag the stars and crescent moon is always towards the head.

wow... learned something new today... heh...

Repainting the flag the right way around would have caused another 2 year delay in delivery, sacking of the entire EADS (Airbus) board, accusations of insider trading by EADS executives and me having to fly to Sydney in a dilapidated B744... no thank you.

1st to fight and 1st to :devil:

heard many probs with the electrical system on board right? SIA guinea pig for air bus later 1st A380 crash how?:nono: like windows ma. let others troubleshoot stable then buy oso not late wat.

Seems correct to me.. That's the right side of the plane, not left. The flag would be flying towards the tail side.

Prob would be good to add on to the story all why the flag is printed this way...

Flag represents a country. And all countries want to move forward. So everything will be read from left to right (dunno who sets this anyway but the whole world does this... except chinese... top to bottom...)

So the flags have be seen as moving forward on both sides of the aircraft...

heard many probs with the electrical system on board right? SIA guinea pig for air bus later 1st A380 crash how?:nono: like windows ma. let others troubleshoot stable then buy oso not late wat.

Hmm.. how about in flight software upgrade? :p

"This is the captain speaking. Airbus has issued us with a critical software update and we are to immediately install it. We have downloaded the update patch and will proceed to install it. During the installation, you may experience temporary power failure and loss of air pressure. Please do not panic..."

Hmm.. how about in flight software upgrade? :p

"This is the captain speaking. Airbus has issued us with a critical software update and we are to immediately install it. We have downloaded the update patch and will proceed to install it. During the installation, you may experience temporary power failure and loss of air pressure. Please do not panic..."

ha ha:bsmilie: like that oso can?

ha ha:bsmilie: like that oso can?

A better one would be..

"This is the captain speaking.. The plane's computer has initiated an automatic software update. While it is in progress, I'll have totally no control over the plane. As the software is quite big and the satellite bandwidth is quite limited, it is expected to take approximately 2 hours..."

No lah.. it's more like you stick a real flag pole onto the plane and when it's moving, you should see the flag flying towards the tail. So in the case of the SG flag the stars and crescent moon is always towards the head.

This is the closest answer here la, saw it on the programme "Mail Call" on History Channel where questions on Military related topics were raise. If you look at a U.S solider flag on their shoulder you will notice this also. Right side seems wrong and the left side looks correct. The flag pole explanation is spot on. This was started by the U.S during WWII. If the flag were to be display on a wall without a pole,the correct way were to have it display on "the wrong side" as the Star field will always lead the way. ;)

They do many many test liao la, Test flight also thousands over hour liao. Airbus will not let their reputation goes down the drain in this multi Billion industry, so no worries.

On the SIA flight an Airbus pilot will be onboard flying together with the SQ pilot, just in case....

Most problems will occur on the in-flight entertainment system, as at any one time there are so many people logging into the system to do different things :sweat:

Its so ironic. SQ said this plane will make their prices more competitive but tickets are 10-20% more than regular ones.......... anyway, I'm long done with SQ.

:dunno::think: go to school, take a business class :bsmilie:

in the longer term it will be more competitive (not just to SIA but also to others too) but meanwhile more expensive - must pay for the novelty mah

SIA says that the position and depiction of the flag on the new Airbus A380 and other SIA aircraft are correct.

This came after STOMPer Lim's 10-year-old daughter came across a poster of the Airbus at Changi Airport Terminal 2 displaying an inverted Singapore flag.

SIA says that in keeping with international standards of etiquette and conventions on the flying of flags, the flags of all major airlines, including all SIA aircraft, are designed to display the same image in the same position on both sides.

Here is the full reply from Stephen Forshaw, Vice President Public Affairs, Singapore Airlines:

"The position and depiction of the flag is correct; the depiction of flags by airlines on the exterior of the aircraft has it origins in shipping, where the ensign of the country is flown off the stern of the ship.

"In shipping, as in aviation, precedence cannot be established as it would on land by flying a flag from the tallest point, so the stern (or in the case of an aircraft, to the rear of the insignia) conveys precedence (ie shows the country of origin).

"According to flag etiquette, which again traces its origins back to shipping – and was reaffirmed in the earliest days of commercial aviation – a national flag should never be seen to be travelling backwards.

"If the flag were replicated on the starboard side of the aircraft as it is on the port side, when the aircraft is travelling forwards, the flag would, then, be flying backwards.

"From the port side of the aircraft, the flag is viewed as you would expect to see it flying on a flagpost, and when the aircraft is flying, it will fly as it would on a flagpost in the breeze – with the five stars and moon leading, and the red and white sections following.

"On the starboard side, it is, therefore, a mirror image of the view from the port side. Flags are designed to display the same image in the same position on both sides.

"And the particular view of the aircraft used in this poster is from the starboard side.

"This style of replication is the same across all major airlines, which fly the flags of their countries, except, of course, those flags which appear identical when flown in different directions (for example, France).

"It is in keeping with international standards of etiquette and conventions on the flying of flags.

"Further, it is the way the Singapore flag has been displayed on all Singapore Airlines aircraft throughout our history.

"Indeed, all flag-carriers of the Republic display their flags in the same way.

"Well done to Miss Lim for spotting: only a few people have done so.

"But I'd like to assure Miss Lim, her father, and all your forum correspondents that it is not an error."

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost6279.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.