SIM university

Status
Not open for further replies.
rmit isn't cheap leh. its more expensive than UOL. anyway wad u mean by 2nd tier in your earlier entry?

Am currently working now as well.

To me, honestly, the degree paper is just a ticket to higher wages, it doesnt make you a smarter person. I've got "colleagues" with a good degree from renowned Unis but still retards :bsmilie:

Having a good degree does not mean you are the right person for the job:think:

Am currently working now as well.

To me, honestly, the degree paper is just a ticket to higher wages, it doesnt make you a smarter person. I've got "colleagues" with a good degree from renowned Unis but still retards :bsmilie:

Having a good degree does not mean you are the right person for the job:think:

i so agree. i know of a guy who is damn smart and going to cambridge. but he is a real ******* and retard. can't even talk properly, much less give a presentation. =/

ic. but at the end of the day what u want is to increase your chances of employability. i believe RMIT is good enough to do that. i know of cases where 1st class honors grads of UOL were unable to find a job too. getting a job has a lot more factors than just the cert. but the cert will get ppl to offer u an interview. that's wad we want.

my colleague who join my company is 2nd lower class in UOL business, i would guess that her pay would be around 2.2~2.5k with no OT rate.
since she is a fresh graduate, ya that's the starting pay for most them right now.

given the hard times now, sometimes you would need a helping hand to get you a job, so networking is very important in working life right now.

yes. im thinking...where to go to do networking?

rmit isn't cheap leh. its more expensive than UOL. anyway wad u mean by 2nd tier in your earlier entry?

is cheaper when you do in PT since you're in the army anyway.
if you stay out daily, then taking up a PT course is a good way to have a head start among your peers.

don't waste your 2 years inside rotting.

the 2nd tier is the ranking level which the unis are judged in sg.
rmit is in 3rd tier but i got ict friends who are successful in finding jobs before the recession, one of them is working in RBS right now with a degree in business management from rmit.

Last edited:
i so agree. i know of a guy who is damn smart and going to cambridge. but he is a real ******* and retard. can't even talk properly, much less give a presentation. =/

Hahahaha!

I've got a retard sitting in the next room from mine. Heng I got my own room but its all glass, I still can see him on a daily basis :bsmilie:

Yep, having a good deg from a good sch doesnt mean one is fully qualified for the job or sharp enough to get things done, its just an edge for your starting wages honestly.

I do notice there is a flooding of Business grads & Business MBA holders on the market really...

Am not sure how hard a business deg is but I did aeronautical engineering back than, had cardiac arrest a few times throughout the course :sweat:

yes. im thinking...where to go to do networking?

hehe...forum also can network one, so long as someone lends you a helping hand, you should hold on to it tightly. one of the hsbc hiring manager told me that during one of the interviews i had with him regarding a insurance agent job.

i got to know one guy recently from here with some financial knowledge which i can learn from, and in the process i got my other friend to troubleshoot his d90 wb issues, so i guess is a win-win situation for the both of us.
intend to call him out more often for future photography outings since we clicked along quite well from the start and perhaps can chat about anything under the sun.
he's practically a mixture between me and my friend as he enjoys birding like my friend while i enjoy diving activities.

Last edited:
i'm starting my rmit course next year, so what's the big deal about ranking ?
at the end of the day, is still only just a piece of paper anyway.

what matters most is your job performance in the future, cause that's the one which decides whether you climb or you stay stagnant in your company.

work experience matter than degrees.. your personality, appearance and communication skills are even more important ! no one is going to pay you just becos u had a so called top degree from a govt uni ? that was in 1970's.. 1980's.. 1990's (it worked in those old days)... BUT for now companies and bosses want performance and results ! people who can bring in sales and profits ! people who can worked things out in shortest time with minimum cost

Last edited:
that's very sad. i was told by frens that outside in the working world there are too many ppl with a business degree. take a stone u throw, u will hit an RMIT or UOL business grad. lol...

ouch... :angry:

have been a RMIT alumni for 9 years liao :bsmilie:

work experience matter than degrees.. your personality, appearance and communication skills are even more important ! no one is going to pay you just becos u had a so called top degree from a govt uni ? that was in 1970's (it worked in those old days)...for now companies and bosses want performance and results ! people who can bring in sales and profits !

that's good to know. i'm about to ord in 6 months actually, and application starts nxt mth and ends in mar. so i wanna be very sure about the degrees that are being offered. for me, local uni is as good as gone case. after all i did a multimedia dip in SP and the choices i have in local U is very limited. it's unfortunate to know that the business deg and MBAs are in abundance in the working world today, and SIM's UOL only offers business related degrees. what u guys think abt a management degree? is it useful or otherwise?

ouch... :angry:

have been a RMIT alumni for 9 years liao :bsmilie:

no offence intended dude! i'm just saying wad i was told. wad i really want is juz a recognised degree that can enable me to have a decent head start in terms of employability and wages.

do not think your so called degree can bring you a well-paid job these days, the job market is now based a global perspective, there so much better foreign talents with lesser expectations of salaries and benefits, so better get more value added stuff in addition to that paper.

Last edited:
wad do u suggest then? wad kind of value added stuff?

wad do u suggest then? wad kind of value added stuff?

Languages, communication skills, social contacts with right people, your appearance, mindset, personality, etc etc... why i said these so ? because i really seen some local highly educated folks armed with degrees but they just cannot carry themselves well.. they lacked EQ ! their security seems to be built on what they did in schools.. but hey ! it is now a globalised world.. u need many extras stuff to succeed in career or business now.

ic. that's heartening to know because i believe grades aside, i'm much better at those other things. EQ is very important i agree. that's why there are ppl from local unis who can't find jobs for months. if that is the case like what you have said, will a general degree like management be useful in today's world?

no offense but what is the starting salary you pen on your resume ?
sometimes lowering your expectations might just enable you to grab a job, rather than just rotting at home.

p.s i was jobless for a quarter until i start to ask my friends from msn for some help.
those are the moments where you finally realised who your "real" friends really are.

My problem is I'm not a citizen and unlike previous years where you are given almost automatic PR after graduating from a local uni, this year the SG govt has been very very cautious about this hot-button issue. Somehow feel even my SG relatives are happy that I didn't get a job in SG as I will be another FTrash competing with their kids. :sweat:

Additionally my previous job was "cold-gate"; was an old skool C++ programmer writing weird code for the semicon industry.

My problem is I'm not a citizen and unlike previous years where you are given almost automatic PR after graduating from a local uni, this year the SG govt has been very very cautious about this hot-button issue. Somehow feel even my SG relatives are happy that I didn't get a job in SG as I will be another FTrash competing with their kids. :sweat:

Additionally my previous job was "cold-gate"; was an old skool C++ programmer writing weird code for the semicon industry.

actually as a FT, if you lower your demands, it should be easier for you to get a job but the govt sort of encourage companies to give local ppl a chance.
so far, in my new industry, apparently there is more FTs than local ppl.

else there is only one last desperate choice available which is recruit express.

i was also from the semicon industry, thankfully i got out of there just in time before the industry sinks.

Last edited:
actually as a FT, if you lower your demands, it should be easier for you to get a job but the govt sort of encourage companies to give local ppl a chance.
so far, in my new industry, apparently there is more FTs than local ppl.

else there is only one last desperate choice available which is recruit express.

i was also from the semicon industry, thankfully i got out of there just in time before the industry sinks.

Lucky you. My ex-colleagues are just glad to still have a job. Semicon industry is going the way of airlines: high cost, low profit.

hey people, i just wanna find out if uniSIM is recognised locally and internationally? anyone from there who can share their experience and views? And is the 2 years in NS counted as work experience for application into the uni?

thanks!

You want my frank answer? I think so. :) Here goes:

UniSIM is not a recognized university though it seems so. What do I mean?

If you want to further your education, that Bachelor's degree you get from UniSIM is not going to be worth anything. But this might depend on the course you're taking. But generally, it's pretty much worthless. There are many modules which full-time undergrads study but are not taught at UniSIM.

Moreover, I don't know what sort of credentials UniSIM tutors and lecturers have. From the last I heard, they are nothing impressive. They get all the part-timers who come after their work to teach. In a full-time university, you get REAL academics with experience in research, teaching and publishing papers.

But if you just want a paper, sure. Go to UniSIM.

Honestly, I'm surprised the MOE recognizes UniSIM degrees. The only explanation I have is that they want the easy way out for their non-graduate teachers to upgrade their status so that they can earn higher salaries also. Imagine if non-grad teachers got to quit teaching and go to NUS to study maths full-time. Firstly, they will not get an income for several years. Secondly, I doubt they can cope with the rigorous pace of REAL undergraduate life. They left school for so long. University maths is a lot tougher than what they are used to.

Put it this way: If you are already an A level holder teaching primary school math, getting a Bachelor's degree is not going to necessarily make you smarter or more effective in teaching primary level math. That paper is just to justify MOE to give them higher pay and recognition. Academically, the teachers are not up to the standards of a regular maths syllabus from a good university.

It was not long ago when there was some hoo-hah where UniSIM was not recognized as Singapore's 3rd university. Instead, SMU was named the 3rd uni. I can't remember what crap reason was given. But it was something like UniSIM is sort of private "uni" or something. The REAL reason is that, it's not academically rigorous enough. It wasn't politically correct to state this openly of course.

Honestly, unless you have special issues, like having to work early to support your family or such, the only reason why you'd choose UniSIM is that your A level grades are not good enough to get into the local unis, or you can't afford to spend $ to study overseas.

But all is not lost. Like I said, if you just want a degree, UniSIM is the place to go. Whether your future is good or not depends a lot on other factors, like whether your employers accept your degree, your competency in non-academic areas in life, etc.

If you want to get higher degrees, don't waste your time and money on UniSIM. The academic standards are just below what you'd get from a good university.

Not sure about the 2 years NS though. But I have a strong feeling they do accept it. Think I read it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.