sigma 17-70mm. need some opinions on this lenses.

I know its f-4 but but im guessing IQ will at least as good or better then the sigma stop down to f4....?
maybe not:dunno:

p.s still waiting for the new sigma 17-50 2.8 hsm to come out:dent:

There was an old thread where Feng Wei did a comparison but dunno where liao

found one from Photomalaysia:
http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95687

Last edited:
Thks for your inputs! Do you take pics of your pets too? I have 4 ragdolls and 2 shelties... Hehehe... :) I tried to take pics of them using my kit lens, but they are soo hyperactive... So, many of the pics turned out blurr... But maybe it is not caused by the lens, but by the photographer himself... LOL.... ;) I just read about the latest sigma 85mm F1.4.. Dunno when will this lens reach Singapore...

i take pictures of my puppy using my kit lens too. i turn on all the lights at home & bump up the iso to 1600. most of the shots turn out blurish but u occasionally can get some keepers :)

but i must say a faster lens f2.8 or faster will be much better... although i think 85mm may be too long for indoors (unless you have a huge house of course!)

Nobody seems to help answer to TS questons.... :bsmilie:

So to TS, what is the problem you are facing ? U need longer reach and dun want to change lens ? Or u need a fast lens to replace ur 18-55mm...

i would suggest u keep what u have, both of them are quite useful... and get a 43mm or 50mm to compliment them, changing lens are part of using dslr...

else let got the 18-55 and get a wide 12-24 or 10-20 plus a 43 or 50 and you are more or less cover... got wide, got fast lens and got reach... :bsmilie:

to do without changing lens is a compromise, then get those 18-200 or 250 lens....

Nobody seems to help answer to TS questons.... :bsmilie:

So to TS, what is the problem you are facing ? U need longer reach and dun want to change lens ? Or u need a fast lens to replace ur 18-55mm...

i would suggest u keep what u have, both of them are quite useful... and get a 43mm or 50mm to compliment them, changing lens are part of using dslr...

else let got the 18-55 and get a wide 12-24 or 10-20 plus a 43 or 50 and you are more or less cover... got wide, got fast lens and got reach... :bsmilie:

to do without changing lens is a compromise, then get those 18-200 or 250 lens....

Aiyah bro, it's the same story repeated over and over... new users tending to gravitate towards zoom lenses and are willing to fork out plenty of money for that f/2.8 maximum aperture, thinking that's the be all solution.
Of course got some people here eager to poison, erm I mean endorse such lenses too. :angel:
I honestly don't know why they always think a wide aperture zoom lens is the answer when we all know the secret is... fast AF prime lenses + killer technique.

Aiyah bro, it's the same story repeated over and over... new users tending to gravitate towards zoom lenses and are willing to fork out plenty of money for that f/2.8 maximum aperture, thinking that's the be all solution.
Of course got some people here eager to poison, erm I mean endorse such lenses too. :angel:
I honestly don't know why they always think a wide aperture zoom lens is the answer when we all know the secret is... fast AF prime lenses + killer technique.
is it really?
i was planning on getting the tamron 17-50mm next week to replacemy kit lens. because i see a great difference between the kit lens and my 50mm i was thinking ~also because of the reviews i read about this tamron~ the tamron is a leap for my walkabout kit lens..
but now i seriously want to know if its worth it or not.. thanks

is it really?
i was planning on getting the tamron 17-50mm next week to replace my kit lens. because i see a great difference between the kit lens and my 50mm i was thinking ~also because of the reviews i read about this tamron~ the tamron is a leap for my walkabout kit lens..

Pentax kit lenses are great lenses even better than other brands. unless you shoot in low light conditions all the time then it is worth to get one with F2.8 constant aperture, otherwise just use the kit lens.

Compared to the kit lens, most f/2.8 zoom lenses will better it.
However few zoom lenses can better a prime lens in terms of sharpness, contrast, aberration, flare control, compact size and weight. AF lock is usually quicker too, as is the subjective issue of bokeh. Of course a zoom offers the flexibility and convenience of many focal lengths, but beyond that, most prime lenses do have the edge in terms of optical performance. Zooms aren't bad per se and different people may opt for zooms for their own reasons but for me, after playing with many zooms and prime lenses, I know pretty much what works for me. I also take what is written in so-called lens reviews with a large pinch of salt. ;)

Anyway if I'm not sure of anything I ask the real expert... fengwei... :)

Last edited:
is it really?
i was planning on getting the tamron 17-50mm next week to replacemy kit lens. because i see a great difference between the kit lens and my 50mm i was thinking ~also because of the reviews i read about this tamron~ the tamron is a leap for my walkabout kit lens..

u have kit lens and 50mm f1.4 ? its good enough, no point gettig the tamron unless its more for convenience...

Compared to the kit lens, most f/2.8 zoom lenses will better it.
However few zoom lenses can better a prime lens in terms of sharpness, contrast, aberration, flare control, compact size and weight. AF lock is usually quicker too, as is the subjective issue of bokeh. Of course a zoom offers the flexibility and convenience of many focal lengths, but beyond that, most prime lenses do have the edge in terms of optical performance. Zooms aren't bad per se and different people may opt for zooms for their own reasons but for me, after playing with many zooms and prime lenses, I know pretty much what works for me. I also take what is written in so-called lens reviews with a large pinch of salt.

Anyway if I'm not sure of anything I ask the real expert... fengwei... :)

I'm a real expert? No lah, just like to play play :D

Anyway, I agree w/ what Denis said here. Optically a f2.8 zoom lens is definitely better than the kit lens, but it doesn't guarantee better photos. It's still the one behind cameras make the photos. Don't trust too much on lens reviews (except my reviews ;):devil::lovegrin:).

A cheapy 50/2 lens can do better than any f2.8 lens at the same focal length. But zoom lenses have their pros. Don't buy too many zoom lenses which cover similar focal range. Pentax is known to have the best prime (fixed focal length) lenses, it'd be a great pity if you don't try some.

I'm a real expert? No lah, just like to play play :D

Anyway, I agree w/ what Denis said here. Optically a f2.8 zoom lens is definitely better than the kit lens, but it doesn't guarantee better photos. It's still the one behind cameras make the photos. Don't trust too much on lens reviews (except my reviews ;):devil::lovegrin:).

A cheapy 50/2 lens can do better than any f2.8 lens at the same focal length. But zoom lenses have their pros. Don't buy too many zoom lenses which cover similar focal range. Pentax is known to have the best prime (fixed focal length) lenses, it'd be a great pity if you don't try some.

Whatever happened to the review you did on the Pentax 17-70 vs the Sigma 17-70? Cannot seem to find it liao.

u have kit lens and 50mm f1.4 ? its good enough, no point gettig the tamron unless its more for convenience...
i have only the 50 f2 M which came with my ME super. i was comparing the images i have with the 50mm and the kit lens thats when i noticed the difference in sharpness and color.. o well, i must be expecting too much for a kit lens haha

Whatever happened to the review you did on the Pentax 17-70 vs the Sigma 17-70? Cannot seem to find it liao.

The server is down, plus the Pentax 1770 I tested had some focusing problem, the results aren't really valid I think :)

Just curious, does the Pentax version have HSM for the new version?

The F2.8-4.5 is a good lens but I have not tried the F2.8-4.0 version as yet. No time to KPO at shops . . .

Just bought the sigma 17-70 hsm version not long ago. I'm really happy with its performance. AF is quiet and fast. A really versatile lens with macro function of a minimum focusing distance of 8.7 inches and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.7.
IQ wise, its sharp wide open from 17mm-50mm and if you stop down 1/2 - 1/3 f stops (eg f4-5.6) for 50-70mm. :)

Just bought the sigma 17-70 hsm version not long ago. I'm really happy with its performance. AF is quiet and fast. A really versatile lens with macro function of a minimum focusing distance of 8.7 inches and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.7.
IQ wise, its sharp wide open from 17mm-50mm and if you stop down 1/2 - 1/3 f stops (eg f4-5.6) for 50-70mm. :)

Congrat bro,nice lens care to share how much you bought it..$$$.;)

Congrat bro,nice lens care to share how much you bought it..$$$.;)

Hey bro, thanks! I bought it at $715 from SLR Rev. For sigma lens, better buy it locally cos the Sigma Service Centre in Singapore do not regconise international warranty. My copy has a bit of front focus at the tele end and I bought it to the service centre for calibration, the service was really good. Now my copy works really great!

flowerpot.....u hit the nail spot on!!!

the 2 options which u mentioned is something which i am comtemplating upon....n i want to sort this out b4 my OC comes back from her trip.....else, richard marx's endless summer nights will be my lullaby....

honestly, i am not into zooming....so i reckon i wont get a 18-200 or 18-500 (if there is). haha~~~ i oso suck at buildings, structures....so wide angle dun interest me at this point in time. ;)

so it's a choice of keeping the kit n get into prime lenses to learn more abt fast lenses or change the 17-55mm for the 17-70mm and stay put.

:)

Just got the 17-70mm from airconvent.
Glad I got it. Initial choice was actually 50mm f1.4 but after much consideration, I got the 17-70mm to replace my kit lens.
Pictures turned out better than what I thought. :thumbsup:

But sadly, I have to send my cam to service centre for cleaning. Just realised the dusts got into the viewfinder. :(