sigma 17-70mm. need some opinions on this lenses.

Just got the 17-70mm from airconvent.
Glad I got it. Initial choice was actually 50mm f1.4 but after much consideration, I got the 17-70mm to replace my kit lens.
Pictures turned out better than what I thought. :thumbsup:

But sadly, I have to send my cam to service centre for cleaning. Just realised the dusts got into the viewfinder. :(

Haha..Hi coquillages. Glad you immediately put it to better use. Since i got the Pentax 1770, it has been sitting lonely in the drybox.
Remember my advice to you as I saw you changing the lens, always try to point the camera downwards when replacing lenses.
Anyway, after TLC from Kelvin, you will be back again snapping everything under the sun ;)

As I said, the 1770 range is an ideal alternative for people who wants something better than the kit lens and extended zoom range. Its not too heavy and in the case of the sigma, with f/2.8, it performs reasonably well under indoor conditions too. :)

lucky u~~~coquillages

will hunt around if there is another copy......;)

Hiya all,

Just saw a copy of the sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 HSM ... (going at 700+ if i dun remember wrongly)

lucky u~~~coquillages

will hunt around if there is another copy......;)

I'm using the F4.

Sharp at 17mm f2.8 (I can see defined eye lashes and pores at full body shot). my only complain is the sharpness falls off significantly after 33mm and relatively soft at 70mm. F8 at 70mm helps a fair bit.

Is the older one better? But the new one has stabiliser...

On body stabiliser why need lens with stabiliser?

oh sry im using a 550D dun hv in body stabiliser so lens OS matters to me. anw so IQ for new vs old which one better? saw someone say image soft after 50mm. if the IQ is the same, i would prefer the new OS. anyone knows the price for both models?

oh sry im using a 550D dun hv in body stabiliser so lens OS matters to me. anw so IQ for new vs old which one better? saw someone say image soft after 50mm. if the IQ is the same, i would prefer the new OS. anyone knows the price for both models?

Bro, this is Pentax forum not Canon, that is why we comment about the body having in-built IS so no need for lens with IS.

You might want to post this in the Sigma/Tamron subforum. There is a much wider user base and audience there to help you out.

You might want to post this in the Sigma/Tamron subforum. There is a much wider user base and audience there to help you out.

ohhhhh ok thx ;) i thot i saw a guy using canon posting here o.o

ohhhhh ok thx ;) i thot i saw a guy using canon posting here o.o

Don't be mistaken. Not shooing you off.
Just that this sub forum is not the best place to ask this question. As I've mentioned, the user base is much wider over at the Sigma/Tamron sub-forum, so chances are higher if someone has checked out both versions and the latest price.

hi i juz bought this lens, would juz like to comment that this lens without OS cannot compare to 18-55 with IS under same shooting conditions (the larger aperture cannot compensate for a lack of image stabilisation..) hoping to get the OS ver in the near future :) cheers

hi i juz bought this lens, would juz like to comment that this lens without OS cannot compare to 18-55 with IS under same shooting conditions (the larger aperture cannot compensate for a lack of image stabilisation..) hoping to get the OS ver in the near future :) cheers

What you've written honestly is of no relevance to Pentax users... because Pentax camera bodies have Shake Reduction built-in, so it really makes no difference whether a Pentax user is using the older or newer version of the lens. Any lens mounted will get image stabilization. The price hike for the new version makes it hard to justify value wise as it isn't all that much more improved over the older version.

What you've written honestly is of no relevance to Pentax users... because Pentax camera bodies have Shake Reduction built-in, so it really makes no difference whether a Pentax user is using the older or newer version of the lens. Any lens mounted will get image stabilization. The price hike for the new version makes it hard to justify value wise as it isn't all that much more improved over the older version.

dam canon...

I have been using the older version of the lens for abt a mth plus..so far no complain

here is one of the pic i took during the last pentax outing

4735532036_13b6f0a9ef.jpg

PS: my skill not up to par yet so i guess it might not be a very gd sample :)

I think I saw one guy selling a OS version for Pentax..Does it make any sense??

I think I saw one guy selling a OS version for Pentax..Does it make any sense??

You happy happy can choose either mah... quite fun... in low light with the lens IS can go as low as 1/10s shutter speed wifout blur.

I have been using the older version of the lens for abt a mth plus..so far no complain

here is one of the pic i took during the last pentax outing

4735532036_13b6f0a9ef.jpg

PS: my skill not up to par yet so i guess it might not be a very gd sample :)

Ha, ha, now that's a really SHARP picture. :bsmilie: