Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Both. Anyway, 1st yr covered by shop, 2nd yr onward this extended warranty kicks in. So effectively, u are covered for 8 yrs!

r0ger said:
Both. Anyway, 1st yr covered by shop, 2nd yr onward this extended warranty kicks in. So effectively, u are covered for 8 yrs!

Sounds good but i never heard anyone benefited from this warranty before

maldito said:
Sounds good but i never heard anyone benefited from this warranty before

Is that suppose to be good or bad?

...though it's not the norm to take landscape at f2.8; but i did just for this one at f2.8 and 17mm wide
and there is vignetting
6220065648_c63250d4ee_z.jpg

Last edited:
...no vignetting for this picture taken at 17mm wide; f8
6220018448_fc3aa35a24_z.jpg

After trying my friend tamron 17-50 VC and the sigma 17-50, i finally bite the dust and went for the Sigma instead, even if it cost 300+ more than the Tamron.

why make you so confidence on Sigma EX lens?
After trying my friend tamron 17-50 VC and the sigma 17-50, i finally bite the dust and went for the Sigma instead, even if it cost 300+ more than the Tamron.

michaelwks said:

Thats becos sigma is sharper at f2.8 on all focal length compared to the tamron.

Ouverture said:
Thats becos sigma is sharper at f2.8 on all focal length compared to the tamron.

Sigma is even sharper than canon at center

I've bit the same bullet and went for the Sigma one

On my case, it's the build issues Tamron have (read too much about this) that turns me to Sigma.

No offence but isn't Sigma lenses problematic with their front/back focusing issues?

No offence but isn't Sigma lenses problematic with their front/back focusing issues?

Yes, I read that alot...but when I tested it myself, I didn't notice any...If there is any focusing "problem", it will be that the Auto Focus is not as sharp as Manual Focus (I think this goes to most lens)

I prefer the build quality more on the sigma than the tamron. And when i was trying out both, the sigma focus faster and quieter. Before this, i asked ard and was told the sigma is a sharper lens than the tamron and the EX body can help to reduce flare (<- this one i'm not so sure, anyone can confirm?? ), hence i went for the sigma instead.

On an unfair flare comparision, when shooting at the LED spot light, my 10-22 does not flare while the Sigma will flare a little. I've did not try it with the Tamron version.

*It's really hard to get my 10-22 to flare under normal usage even when shooting with the sun in the frame.*

Tried the lens at DD electronics this afternoon, Tried on Focusing chart, AF focus is extremely fast and spot on. However, slight color fringing( green + purple) at 50mm 2.8, didn't bother to stop down. However the AF ring is quite a bother, the length of the barrel is about 9cm, so even with my small hands, I still accidentally touch the AF focus ring in a couple of shoots. So abit disappointed.

Picture quality, sharp, right out of the box.

Btw, 2 thumbs up for DD electronics for their great service and competitive pricing!

Tried the lens at DD electronics this afternoon, Tried on Focusing chart, AF focus is extremely fast and spot on. However, slight color fringing( green + purple) at 50mm 2.8, didn't bother to stop down. However the AF ring is quite a bother, the length of the barrel is about 9cm, so even with my small hands, I still accidentally touch the AF focus ring in a couple of shoots. So abit disappointed.

Btw, 2 thumbs up for DD electronics for their great service and competitive pricing!

I agree that the focus ring is a bother...but I can live with it comparing the $500 diff for the OEM 17-55. I've also did a random test against my ef-s18-55, I do find that Sigma have the purple fringing while the kit lens don't (this is when i go into 100% to be able to see the fringing clearly..).

So you also gotten this lens in the end???

hi there! I'm considering also this lens, may I know how much is it? you can pm me, thanks...

So you also gotten this lens in the end???

Nope. But would be placing an order for the more expensive Nikon 17-55mm. I guess, u pay for quality.

However wait for the Nikon Announcement this few weeks first to see "whats" the next DX lens then decide.

Nope. But would be placing an order for the more expensive Nikon 17-55mm. I guess, u pay for quality.

However wait for the Nikon Announcement this few weeks first to see "whats" the next DX lens then decide.

The nikkor is good! Too bad i have budget so the best i make out of is this sigma. :)