Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

I agree that the focus ring is a bother...but I can live with it comparing the $500 diff for the OEM 17-55. I've also did a random test against my ef-s18-55, I do find that Sigma have the purple fringing while the kit lens don't (this is when i go into 100% to be able to see the fringing clearly..).

I really liked the feel of the barrel and build of the sigma. The zoom ring also has a unlock to prevent the lens from creeping. Other than the green/purple fringing and AF ring, its really really good. But it could be a deal breaker for some, such as myself. For cash, it goes for under 800+ for a grey set which cost half the price of the Nikon 17-55mm, but hey. You pay for quality in the end and the Nikon with it's ED element = superior pics at 2.8 for all lengths, all the time. Who knows, maybe by the end of the month, we would have a revision of this lens or some useful DX lens.

i brought the lens at dd electronic but when i reach home i realize when i shake the lens inside got sound like is very loose inside is it normal?

i brought the lens at dd electronic but when i reach home i realize when i shake the lens inside got sound like is very loose inside is it normal?

Sigma's OS is like that... dun shake it too hard. :p

thanks bro :) scare me out sia :p

The next time you will notice it is when you turn off your camera when the OS is on.

You mean got sound when I turn off when os is on ?? Z

And what filter your using ?

You mean got sound when I turn off when os is on ?? Z

And what filter your using ?

Yes, it's like 2-3 sec after you turn off, you will hear/feel a light "tud" sound.

I'm currently using a hoya hmc uv slim profile....

Yes, it's like 2-3 sec after you turn off, you will hear/feel a light "tud" sound.

I'm currently using a hoya hmc uv slim profile....

I will try later .. Got any filter to intro? How much does your filter cost :)

I will try later .. Got any filter to intro? How much does your filter cost :)

The one I got cost abt $50 *i think*

Fairly happy with the performance compared to the more expensive one I was shown. Even thou there were really difference between the 2 when compared individually, when I tested it against bright light source (e.g. bright led lights/sun etc), when there is flare, with/without filter also flare...so I took the cheaper one.

...it's normal to hear a slight sound from the lens itself because the image stabilisation uses a floating lens system; unlike the camera body sensor stabilisation system.
my nikor lenses with vr do give out a slight sound too.

I got a 2nd hand Hoya UMC PRO1 UV slim 77mm for S$45 in the garage. Just search ard. :)

...it's normal to hear a slight sound from the lens itself because the image stabilisation uses a floating lens system; unlike the camera body sensor stabilisation system.
my nikor lenses with vr do give out a slight sound too.

thanks alots :))

I got a 2nd hand Hoya UMC PRO1 UV slim 77mm for S$45 in the garage. Just search ard. :)

First hand how much? i search around in garage but cant seen to find

Is Hoya HD High Definition Digital CLEAR 85 dollar worth it?

Last edited:
xiaosen said:
thanks alots :))

First hand how much? i search around in garage but cant seen to find

Is Hoya HD High Definition Digital CLEAR 85 dollar worth it?

For that price i recommend getting B+W

For those who are still wondering about the sharpness...see the below for abit of comparison. Both shots are pp (curves, clarity, noise reduction, exposure)
Both are shot wide open at f2.8

Shot #01 was cropped from a picture very similar to #02..And so, the cropped portion is in the middle...

This is a very sharp lens!

Nice pic...

This is a very sharp lens!

At least when center sharpness is concerned...thou I don't feel the softness at the sides in a real-world-shooting usage, as I assume those are just effects of f2.8 (bokehlicious) :bsmilie:

Last edited:
This following 2 post is for the "100% croppers" -.-"' (I do this for the sake of doing it, I rarely peep at 100%)

"Full" Picture (Resized to 1280 Long edge)

17mm, ISO 100, f/8, 1/200s, On Camera Flash Fired
*Yes, it flared, the sun is at the edge of my frame*

The images are saved for web in photoshop, so there will be slight loss in quality.. (Photoshop jpeg quality: 60/100)

Last edited:
*continued*

Top Left

Top Right

Bottom Left

Bottom Right

Middle

*end*

Guys, did you buy lens hood for this lens? If yes, from where?