Sightings of the new NEX 7

I was thinking to get A lens 16-50mm f2.8 or zeiss 16-80 with the adapter. I just wonder if the OSS really make any different. Not much article on internet mention about this though.

Keep in mind that OSS didn't exist in the past and great photos were still taken. Some articles I have read that OSS doesn't really help much if your shutter speed is greater than 1/(focal length). (e.g. 1/125 shutter speed when using a 80 mm lens)... In addition, OSS doesn't help with subject motion blur.

In addition, if you look at professional grade FF lens from Canon and Nikon, many still do not have stabilization and some folks claim it affect image sharpness too. IMHO, its nice to have but not really necessary if you know what you are doing.

sdchew said:
Keep in mind that OSS didn't exist in the past and great photos were still taken. Some articles I have read that OSS doesn't really help much if your shutter speed is greater than 1/(focal length). (e.g. 1/125 shutter speed when using a 80 mm lens)... In addition, OSS doesn't help with subject motion blur.

In addition, if you look at professional grade FF lens from Canon and Nikon, many still do not have stabilization and some folks claim it affect image sharpness too. IMHO, its nice to have but not really necessary if you know what you are doing.

Yes.

I was really amazed, why no such OSS issues at Canonikon and Panny camp.

When Alpha has inbuilt SSS, nobody cares about them. Now that Nex doesnt have it, everybody seems to see it as the only barrier to buying it.

For me, the only barrier is oneself to buy it and use it. Thinking too much just waste your own time in capturing nice memories.

Yes.

I was really amazed, why no such OSS issues at Canonikon and Panny camp.

When Alpha has inbuilt SSS, nobody cares about them. Now that Nex doesnt have it, everybody seems to see it as the only barrier to buying it.

For me, the only barrier is oneself to buy it and use it. Thinking too much just waste your own time in capturing nice memories.

Actually, many of the good Nikon lenses (for example, 24-70mm) don't have it either. In addition, Leicas never had OSS or even Autofocus!

To be honest, its just arm chair photographers talking about lens charts, specs and pixel peeping these days. Buy what you like, go out, enjoy yourself and most importantly, take great photos which you like.

Last edited:
If you want stablisation with the NEX 7 you can get Sigma A mount lenses. I'm thinking of getting the 150mm stabilised macro

Me too, actually called SLR last week but have to order

Where to get it @ $1600+???

I am prepared to get instant noodles for the whole of next month to get my hands on it!

Hi, which SLT lens do you use?
I read that if you use nex 7 with SLT lens, there will be no OSS. Is it affecting your results a lot to shoot without OSS?

The lens looks like SAM 35mm1.8.
Alpha lenses has no stablisation, hence you need to apply shooting basics more consciously .

Yes. Its the 35mmF1.8 SAM lens.

stablisation is important if you shoot with heavy long zoom lens, at the long-end of the zoom range.
For example, if you are shooting at the long-end of the 70-300G and your shutter speed is 1/50second, then you better make sure your arms are fully supported.
it will be difficult to achieve tack-sharp at such zoom with a heavy lens.

With the 35mm lens, and even the SAL50F18, i do not have any problem with shooting at 1/30 to 1/40 second shutter speed. I can capture sharp eye-lashes of my son.

Also, with regards to stablisation, with Nex, i have no stablisation, no problem.
I can even get sharp pictures with the SAL55200SAM with the LA-EA1.
With my previous A33, i usually turn off the in-body stablisation, when when i need it, then i turn it on.

why some people say that stablisation affect sharpness is the same concept that if you are using tripod, you need to turn off the stablisation.
coz the camera will try to compensate for "camera shake", but there is no "camera shake".

As many bros over here will say, apply shooting basics. if your posture is wrong, even stablisation will not help you achieve sharp images.

Hi, I'm interested to get NEX-7. Where is the best place to get it and what is the best price? I was quoted S$1600+, Thanks!!!

Who quote you that price? =D!!

already tired of waiting NEX 7, enough is enough :( ... i m thinking of buying Nikon V1, any suggestion?

Yeah, go ask in the Nikon section. Hope you like small-sensor cameras and all the shortcomings thereof.

stablisation is important if you shoot with heavy long zoom lens, at the long-end of the zoom range.
For example, if you are shooting at the long-end of the 70-300G and your shutter speed is 1/50second, then you better make sure your arms are fully supported.

With the 35mm lens, and even the SAL50F18, i do not have any problem with shooting at 1/30 to 1/40 second shutter speed. I can capture sharp eye-lashes of my son.

Also, with regards to stablisation, with Nex, i have no stablisation, no problem.
With my previous A33, i usually turn off the in-body stablisation, when when i need it, then i turn it on.

why some people say that stablisation affect sharpness is the same concept that if you are using tripod, you need to turn off the stablisation.
coz the camera will try to compensate for "camera shake", but there is no "camera shake".

As many bros over here will say, apply shooting basics. if your posture is wrong, even stablisation will not help you achieve sharp images.

In addition, keep in mind that the best E-mount lens (Zeiss 24mm) doesn't have OSS either!

gongong said:

Thanks for the enlightment. My hands is not stable and firm, thats why i concern about OSS. But like you said, most large appeture lenses has no OSS.

Just checked in funan. LA2 + 1650f2.8 cost around 1400, about the same as zeiss 24mm f1.8. Any opinion which one is better option for general purpose use?

Thanks for the enlightment. My hands is not stable and firm, thats why i concern about OSS. But like you said, most large appeture lenses has no OSS.

Just checked in funan. LA2 + 1650f2.8 cost around 1400, about the same as zeiss 24mm f1.8. Any opinion which one is better option for general purpose use?

general purpose wise, variable focal length is better. but non native mount plus the LA2. it is going to be heavy & bulky.
IQ wise, 24mm is better. because it is a prime lens. Prime is always better than variable focal length.

already tired of waiting NEX 7, enough is enough :( ... i m thinking of buying Nikon V1, any suggestion?

If your're getting the V1 because you are tired of waiting..(and you wanted a Nex7..) Frankly this is 1 of the most weird and strange reasoning i've come across so far. They are both very different cameras..i hope you dont regret later.. dont get me wrong.. V1 is not lousy and i dont work for Sony.

I was thinking to get A lens 16-50mm f2.8 or zeiss 16-80 with the adapter. I just wonder if the OSS really make any different. Not much article on internet mention about this though.

If you are using it right and have steady hand or is shooting from a tripod.. There shouldnt be much problem. OSS is a good to have and not a must have.

Get the La-ea2..for instant quick AF.. (apart from OSS you are worrying..do consider about the handling and size of setup after you mount the A lens onto the Nex)

Last edited:
go look for slr rev at level 4

SLRR can be very inconsistent in the way they treat their customers. I know of someone who had placed his booking for the NEX-7 with them early and when stock came in, they refused to sell it to him at those $1600+ prices people here quoted that they got from them citing limited stock and high demand as the reason and wanted RRP instead. He of course decided to buy from someone else and SLRR lost a rich customer for good. Yet they seems to be willing to sell to other walk-ins without reservation at such ridiculously low prices. I guess old habits die hard when you are the scion of such ill-repute shops like Bally Photo.:think:

Last edited:

Depends if you are used to using prime lens. With the 24mm, the overall package feels better equipped for street photography.