should i upgrade from D60 to D90...?

adrianok2

Oct 30, 2009
Singapore
any comment from u guys tat should i upgrade D60 to D90 or jus stick with D60 n upgrade some lenses...?

any comment from u guys tat should i upgrade D60 to D90 or jus stick with D60 n upgrade some lenses...?

if your D60 body is limiting u in someways, than by all means change the body.
if its the lens(not sure what lens u have), change them to according to your needs.

if u don't have much stuff from Nikon, u can consider changing to other brands as well.
if u intend to stay with Nikon, and not going FF in the near future, get better lens to go with your D60. if still not satisfied, at least u can still change body and use back the new lens u bought.
:D

i on the other hand want a white body(Pentax) and white lens(Canon) but i'm stuck with Nikon:bsmilie:

if u are intending to buy 2nd hand d90, i think its quite a good time... alot of people is selling at bns section... d90 has come out for about 2years already, so a newer model up come soon

change the body first, lens can change later part and slowly

advantages to upgrade from D90 are quite a few if you need it, i believe main reason is the AF-screw and higher ISO capability.

I upgraded from D60 to D700. Occasionally, I still bring the D60 on my travels and general walkabout. It is lighter and smaller with plenty of "cheaper" DX lenses. There's still plenty of tricks up the D60 sleeve. Have you tried prime lens. They are sharper and give you many opportunities to be more creative. :cool:

i on the other hand want a white body(Pentax) and white lens(Canon) but i'm stuck with Nikon:bsmilie:

Gaffer? ;p

Gaffer? ;p

Already tried camo gaffer on lens and now on dry carbon fibre. going for white carbon fibre soon.;) for the body I dont have the skill to do it.
nothing beats the original white body and lens.;p

sorry for the OT.

I don't see a problem between doing either.. For that matter, you have a 3rd choice - do nothing at all. It's all about what you want to do.

I upgraded from D60 to D700. Occasionally, I still bring the D60 on my travels and general walkabout. It is lighter and smaller with plenty of "cheaper" DX lenses. There's still plenty of tricks up the D60 sleeve. Have you tried prime lens. They are sharper and give you many opportunities to be more creative. :cool:

same as hotwork77, I too, upgrade from D60 to D700.

think about what you want for yourself, in terms of what your shoot and such.

both cams still serve me well and i am using both.

thanks for everybody advise...i think i will jus change the lense 1st...hotwork77,i need some advise from u on ur 50mm f1.4 lense...im planning to get either 50mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4...?much different between both lense...?actually now im havin 2 lenses which is 18-55mm n 55-200mm...

it is your choice.

the d60 only works with motor lenses, right?

As long as your eyes don't fail you yet, it works with old manual lenses as well. Of cos we would prefer motor lenses for its focusing speed. D60 "must" use motor lenses so that the autofocus part can work.

thanks for everybody advise...i think i will jus change the lense 1st...hotwork77,i need some advise from u on ur 50mm f1.4 lense...im planning to get either 50mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4...?much different between both lense...?actually now im havin 2 lenses which is 18-55mm n 55-200mm...

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G is actually 75mm (35mm full frame equivalent). Everything being equal, the f1.4 is a faster lens which will allow more light so that you need not use flash in some night photography. You may also want to consider the 35mm f1.8 which is a good walkabout lens. I'm using the standard kit (18-55mm + 55-200mm) plus 50 f1.4 and 35 f1.8.

When I go travelling, it's the D60 with 35mm f1.8 and 55-200.

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G is actually 75mm (35mm full frame equivalent). Everything being equal, the f1.4 is a faster lens which will allow more light so that you need not use flash in some night photography. You may also want to consider the 35mm f1.8 which is a good walkabout lens. I'm using the standard kit (18-55mm + 55-200mm) plus 50 f1.4 and 35 f1.8.

When I go travelling, it's the D60 with 35mm f1.8 and 55-200.

Agree that 35mm f1.8 is a better ranged normal lens compared to 50mm for APSC..TS, can you consider getting a D90+35mm? :D

Last edited:

the most obvious difference would be the price of a 50mm 1.4 is about 3 times more than a 1.8. and also that u cant autofocus on the 50mm 1.8

I have actually bought a D90 (still holding on to my D60 thou) because i can get so much more lenses to play with. discovered the money i saved from getting a AF-D lens than a Af-S lens more than justify the cost. of course there are alot more advantages to a D90, you can easily google it.

A D90 body cost about 1.2k now anyway.

if u plan to stay in DX, it is worth to upgrade to D90 when the price is low at the moment. I myself upgrade frm d60 to d90 recently. there are a few advantages:
1. bigger body,more stable
2. larger lcd screen
3. shutter sounds much better... i heard d300s sounds even better
4. perform better at higher ISO
5. more buttons u can access directly without going into menu in D60 ie:flash compensation, ISO,white balance etc etc..
6. 2 dials..in M mode, one dial can control shutter speed, another can control aperture
7. got small lcd tat shows the settings
8. have AF motor built in...can use any nikon compatible lens
9. battery is longer lasting can take more pic per charge
10. can do CLS
11. can do bracketing
12. burst at higher speed(more fps)

etc etc....

If its not broken, don't replace it. If you have the resilience to not upgrade from D60 to D70 to D80 then just wait for the higher version of D90.

But its your decision, D90 is an awesome camera btw. :)