Should I get a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than colours being more accurate for photo editing, is there any other reason to switch to Mac if looking from the point of graphics usage.

the Mac OS is very stable and very capable at memory management. so if you are doing intensive, layered graphics stuff, expect an average Mac to perform better than a similar-spec Windows PC. the user interface is also very intuitive and useful, eg like Paul Yeo said, Expose is a very convenient tool for working with many open apps and documents.

By graphics, do you mean you need a dedicated graphics card? As in for gaming?

Not for gaming but for graphics like design and photos stuff. Reason is because I do a lot of design and graphical work. I am so used with PC and hence, need to know before investing in one Macpro or Macbook

graphic pros use macs, they have been using macs for decades
it is the industry standard
millions of graphic pros cannot be wrong

Time machine is similar to Acronis 9.0 in PC.

Another qn. I am currently using a Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB ram with dedicated 128 graphics card. Would a Intel CORE 2 DUO Macbook be of similar or better performance if the RAM is also 2GB. Pardon me if I sound so stupid.

1. i dont empty my trash. restore as in restore from the trash to the original folder. something i forget where it came from.
2. i did install the msn on jabber on ichat thing but its still more troublesome
3. thanks

1. waiting to trade in mine for a black macbook with leopard. lol
2. i have mercury msn. but i cant get it to video confernce. only 'send webcam'
3. thanks!!

where to trade-in? I want to trade in my old powerPC notebook ...

Another qn. I am currently using a Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB ram with dedicated 128 graphics card. Would a Intel CORE 2 DUO Macbook be of similar or better performance if the RAM is also 2GB. Pardon me if I sound so stupid.

you will be happier just looking at the screen and will not know how long time has passed
so it will seem faster

btw you are pardoned

Have been thinking of getting a Mac? Any strong reasons to move to Mac? Mac users out there, any opinions other than form factor?

The argument between PC and Mac has been going on for ages. It's like asking which is better... rice or bread? Each has its own pros and cons. Just choose the one that tastes better to you.

I have gone to the Mac shop to try their Macs before... a few times, actually. The same thing always happens... First question I ask is... "Where is the right mouse button?" Then I will start a few applications... but I won't get very far because the right mouse button is missing. Then I will think that the whole interface is very fancy, but serves no practical purpose. Then the damn thing will hang. Then I will call the extremely friendly salesperson who will tell me that the damn thing hang because I don't know how to use it. At which point, I will think to myself... why my PC running on XP never ever hangs?

The argument between PC and Mac has been going on for ages. It's like asking which is better... rice or bread? Each has its own pros and cons. Just choose the one that tastes better to you.

I have gone to the Mac shop to try their Macs before... a few times, actually. The same thing always happens... First question I ask is... "Where is the right mouse button?" Then I will start a few applications... but I won't get very far because the right mouse button is missing. Then I will think that the whole interface is very fancy, but serves no practical purpose. Then the damn thing will hang. Then I will call the extremely friendly salesperson who will tell me that the damn thing hang because I don't know how to use it. At which point, I will think to myself... why my PC running on XP never ever hangs?

You sure about that? How did you get it to hang?
I'm:
1) running Capture One connected to my digital back while it's processing Raw images into tiff files,

2) burning CD of thoes images which are processed

3) working on some of the Tiff files on CS2

All at the same time and it did't hang? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

1. i dont empty my trash. restore as in restore from the trash to the original folder. something i forget where it came from.
2. i did install the msn on jabber on ichat thing but its still more troublesome
3. thanks

1. waiting to trade in mine for a black macbook with leopard. lol
2. i have mercury msn. but i cant get it to video confernce. only 'send webcam'
3. thanks!!

once u use Expose, and the hot corners feature... u dun even need to touch F9-F12..
for my MBP, top left corner shows desktop, top right is dashboard, bottom right all windows, bottom left application windows...

hmm i work ard the msn no video support by using skype..force ur frens to download skype :p

the right mouse button

that is my personal dislike with the apple mouse

anyway, with the apple mouse control click will get you the same function as a right mouse button

or get a mouse with right mouse buttons (i did)

btw my mac has not hang for years already, sometimes the software can hang but the computer will not

I haven't had any virus scan software installed on my macs since I switched about 5 years ago... nuff said.

PC never hangs? Ahem............I think every computer OS, be it MAC or XP or VISTA will hang every now and then. So far I have never use a computer that never hangs.

Do you really need to use an Apple mouse on an Apple computer? I am using a Razer Copperhead on my MacBook & MacPro which has the left and right button.

Going to a Mac shop is only the initial step. Learn to adapt and how the system works on both OSX is the best thing that ever happen to me. I am happy with my Desktop PC which uses XP Pro and also happy with my MacBook and MacPro that is using Tiger OSX. And yes the sales person is correct............:bsmilie:

Learning to adapt both systems is the best way. No arguments or frustration. There is always forever pros and cons to all computers and OS. No argue on that.

Mac does have a fanciful interface but as long as it works and handles any your tasks is the most important factor. Same goes with PC too. I think the new VISTA also has a quite cool interface too. which does nothing but look nice and beautiful too.

PC never hangs? Ahem............I think every computer OS, be it MAC or XP or VISTA will hang every now and then. So far I have never use a computer that never hangs.

My PC at work has hung before because those office people loaded it with all sorts of security stuff... and there's not enough resources for those.

My PC at home has not hung. The HDD has crashed before... then it sort of dies... but I won't consider that hanging.

Sometimes, if the program has some problems, it will close with an error message. But that's not really hanging since I can start the program again. That's what I like about XP.

So you have tried a few times and every single time the same thing happens? Seriously, if that was the case, then I must say you must be quite unfortunate to have experience such a situation repeatedly. I am sure the machines are to blame. But I must say you are fortunate to have ran XP all these while and never experienced the blue screen of death so far. :) It would probably make more sense for you to stick to XP then. In fact, it ould make more sense for you not to step into another Apple shop aymore, lest you get disappointed again. Can you imagine the grief?

Now, as much as you feel that the interface serves no purpose for you doesn't mean everyone else have no need for it. Expose is lovely for working with multiple windows and as fanciful as it is, it does serve a purpose. So isn't it great? Looking good and working well. Alot less can be said about some other interface that looks good but doesn't work well or vice-versa.

As for system resources, I am running with 2Gb of Ram on my MacBook and all at one time, I am rendering a DVD using idvd, reviewing my presentation via Keynote, playing music via itunes while my photo editing software is doing some batch editing in the background. Strangely enough it didn't hang. I must be lucky i guess. :)

The long and the short of it, we may have certain prejudices that are formed when we go through life but that is not indicative of the general view so perhaps it may be more wise to be less brash. But of course, the caveat here is that I am voicing this not as a moderator, lest an wrong impression is formed.

Now before we disgress too far, lets keep this on topic yes? :)

Thank you. :)

Learning to adapt both systems is the best way. No arguments or frustration. There is always forever pros and cons to all computers and OS. No argue on that.

No need lah... Just choose the system that works for you. No need to learn 2 systems that does almost the same thing. There are very few people that need the pros of both systems. There are even fewer who can afford to maintain multiple platforms.

If I am forced to use the Mac, I'm sure I can... but what's the point in that? I get no kick out of it. I can't play many games on it. I have to pay for a whole new suite of software. I can see past the glossy interface... yes, even for Vista. OK... it looks good... but I won't pick vanity over sanity.

A PC works out very well for me for many reasons. But I won't go around telling people that they should choose PC over a Mac. Actually, there is no need to....

I usually just tell people to try both, and buy the one they like the most.

I also find Mac advertisements to be quite funny.... If you cannot sell a product based on your own merits, but rely on bashing your competition... it says a lot about you.

No need lah... Just choose the system that works for you. No need to learn 2 systems that does almost the same thing. There are very few people that need the pros of both systems. There are even fewer who can afford to maintain multiple platforms.

If I am forced to use the Mac, I'm sure I can... but what's the point in that? I get no kick out of it. I can't play many games on it. I have to pay for a whole new suite of software. I can see past the glossy interface... yes, even for Vista. OK... it looks good... but I won't pick vanity over sanity.

A PC works out very well for me for many reasons. But I won't go around telling people that they should choose PC over a Mac. Actually, there is no need to....

I usually just tell people to try both, and buy the one they like the most.

I also find Mac advertisements to be quite funny.... If you cannot sell a product based on your own merits, but rely on bashing your competition... it says a lot about you.

Lovely. I am glad we agree. Choose one you like and stick with it.

Shall we please stay on topic?

Thank you. :)

to TS, if u r keen to get a mac, my recommendation is to wait till dec. the hardware will be updated really soon (within the next mth) & the new OS will be out in Oct. so i reckon x'mas sale is worth waiting for, some freebies as well, which ever case u look at it.

not sure how OS X works? borrow a book from the lib, there r plenty & full of illustrations too. FOC somemore.

happy shopping. :)

(ps. i work on both OS & i still prefer XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.