Shooting mode for weddings actual day

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw, shoot RAW ... post processing in raw is actually simpler than with jpeg

I agree and especially since you have Lightroom. Makes batch processing of RAW files a breeze doesn't it!

I agree and especially since you have Lightroom. Makes batch processing of RAW files a breeze doesn't it!

yes.absolutely right.i love LR so much that my cam is permanently on RAW mode.

i like things rawwwwwwwwwwww:bsmilie:

well, personal preference i guess.but if you guys ask me shoot raw before i got LR, i would have say jepg all the way too.

I agree, I tried raw before LR came out, and trying to do everything in DPP from canon was a serious drag. But LR is much faster when batch processing everything, just select all and export to jpeg.

for banquet, i understand using M.i tried it after reading my 'how to shoot banquet' thread, and the exposures are really consistent.

what about the march in?
it can be real tricky if the ballroom is one with sudden spotlight.

i use P most of the time,
ambient light if possible
n it works.

Exactly. When you meter the ambient lighting, normally you would get the cursor spot on in the center of the meter. What I am trying to say is that you purposely meter it a little under (-1ev) so that you get the surroundings a little less exposed compared to your subjects.

Arrgh! not very good at explaning these things. Hope I am not confusing you further. Sorry :embrass:

In this case you are referring to direct flash and not bounced flash (bounced off ceiling) right? And -1ev will be flash, or camera compensation?

yes.i'm that lousy.as well as my d200 metering.
you cant compare a super amateur to a old wise ortegandalf whose hands grows into dslr like yourself my highness.

D200 metering is bad? :think:

ask ortegandalf.
to me ok.good enough.

to him, nothing is ever the best.:bsmilie:

:nono: don't put words in my avarta
i mearly asked you if your D200's metering is that bad until you need to shoot in raw
i shoot jpegs without any problems with my ex D70 and now D80

:nono: don't put words in my avarta
i mearly asked you if your D200's metering is that bad until you need to shoot in raw
i shoot jpegs without any problems with my ex D70 and now D80

i didnt put words lah.i merely shaft them in.:bsmilie:

the way you sound, and the way i interpret from your sentence, is that if one shoots raw, means the camera's metering is that bad?

For events, I try to use image straight out of camera. Even with LR, processing RAW takes time... especially if you are talking about 100s of photos... simply hate it. I've got better things to do with the time saved. On the contrary, LR has enable RAW-like editing to be done on JPEG, which comes in handy.

I will use RAW only when I want to produce a handful of "magical" images for the portfolio.

BC

i didnt put words lah.i merely shaft them in.:bsmilie:

the way you sound, and the way i interpret from your sentence, is that if one shoots raw, means the camera's metering is that bad?

means that you do not know/trust your skills/camera to get the exposure right

yes.absolutely right.i love LR so much that my cam is permanently on RAW mode.

i like things rawwwwwwwwwwww:bsmilie:

well, personal preference i guess.but if you guys ask me shoot raw before i got LR, i would have say jepg all the way too.

NX Capture by Nikon is not as good as LR? Whats the cost for LR (brand new)... :cry:

NX Capture by Nikon is not as good as LR? Whats the cost for LR (brand new)... :cry:

i have NX as well.but ever since i used LR, i dont look at any other softwares for Raw processing.

cost ah?i cant remember but do a search, should be easy to find it.

means that you do not know/trust your skills/camera to get the exposure right

means if anyone shoots raw, means you do not know/trust your skills/camera to get the exposure right???

:bsmilie: :sticktong

RAW - Jpeg: its not just about exposure, in my opinion. Shooting in raw allows you to ajdust saturation, contrast, WB and sharpening better and the way you want.
of course, there is more you can salvage when shooting RAW but that should not be the only reason to shoot raw

Personally:

If you don't know what mode to use, don't shoot wedding.
If you know how to shoot, you wouldn't need to know what mode, it's automatically M mode.

If you're going to shoot wedding FOR FUN, then try out the different modes. As a hobbyist, anything goes, be it A, S or P.

Once you get to the point where you know WHAT to shoot, use M because you would have already known what you want in which situation. If you can't, you're probably not much better than those $500 a pop wedding photographers. There's a VERY high chance there'll be very little to seperate your photos from theirs.

Edit: Of course if you're very conversant with what you want already, you'll feel right at ease dropping to A mode or S mode because you will know what the modes will return you in terms of setting, thus switching between them wouldn't cause you any problems because you already know exactly what you'll be getting from them.

If you're shooting to make yourself feel how good a photographer you are though you may not be, shoot in RAW. Generally, I find most people who "start" in raw don't really improve in photography.

If you're shooting to learn to improve, shoot in JPG. If you can't get your exposures right in jpg, then it just means you don't know how to shoot yet. Learn from your mistakes. Raw tends to make photographers too forgiving on their mistakes.

------

On a side note, it's pretty sad the state of this forum. When a guy ask the same topic, will get wacked left right center, not given an answer, scolded for being lazy, people will come in with a "use the search function". I believe there were even comical answers like using the "W" mode. :p
I'm so surprised I saw none of that at all in this thread, which is the duplicate of an earlier one.

:bsmilie: Either the forum has finally became more friendly, or this is just another case of lechery over manners.

RAW - Jpeg: its not just about exposure, in my opinion. Shooting in raw allows you to ajdust saturation, contrast, WB and sharpening better and the way you want.
of course, there is more you can salvage when shooting RAW but that should not be the only reason to shoot raw

being able to salvage should be the last reason to shoot raw.
In fact it shouldn't even be a reason.

IMHO, one should start shooting raw only after they're able to control their exposures. :D

Personally:

If you don't know what mode to use, don't shoot wedding.
means you are trying to tell newbies or amateurs basically if they need to ask a question about shooting weddings in CS, they can forget about shooting weddings?

If you know how to shoot, you wouldn't need to know what mode, it's automatically M mode.

If you're going to shoot wedding FOR FUN, then try out the different modes. As a hobbyist, anything goes, be it A, S or P.

Once you get to the point where you know WHAT to shoot, use M because you would have already known what you want in which situation. If you can't, you're probably not much better than those $500 a pop wedding photographers. There's a VERY high chance there'll be very little to seperate your photos from theirs.

seriously, are you trying to say those 500 a pop photog are crap?

Edit: Of course if you're very conversant with what you want already, you'll feel right at ease dropping to A mode or S mode because you will know what the modes will return you in terms of setting, thus switching between them wouldn't cause you any problems because you already know exactly what you'll be getting from them.

If you're shooting to make yourself feel how good a photographer you are though you may not be, shoot in RAW. Generally, I find most people who "start" in raw don't really improve in photography.

so people who's starting into photography shouldnt use raw, and they should start with a quicksnap shoot-n-throw camera.that's the only way they will improve.right?

If you're shooting to learn to improve, shoot in JPG. If you can't get your exposures right in jpg, then it just means you don't know how to shoot yet. Learn from your mistakes. Raw tends to make photographers too forgiving on their mistakes.

------

On a side note, it's pretty sad the state of this forum. When a guy ask the same topic, will get wacked left right center, not given an answer, scolded for being lazy, people will come in with a "use the search function". I believe there were even comical answers like using the "W" mode. :p
I'm so surprised I saw none of that at all in this thread, which is the duplicate of an earlier one.

if you find it sad, why even bother to hang around and give your 2 cents?
there are many other forums out there for you to whack newbies left right up down north south east west mah.
just because people here act as gentlemen, and you aint happy with it?
please lah...it's friday.if you didnt get a date, try harder.dont have to come in with a large spoon to stir s h i t ok?

:bsmilie: Either the forum has finally became more friendly, or this is just another case of lechery over manners.[/QUOTE]

:bsmilie: Either the forum has finally became more friendly, or this is just another case of lechery over manners.

nah.. auntie jeanie special case.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: after having seen many interesting questions she asked.. clubsnap members have some how became more "patient" after having whacked her left right centre in the earlier days...

jean -> ever tried shooting tethered? if ever i cover an event like this i might get a friend along with a wireless router, i'll shoot tethered onto hdd, that would probably be a comfortable 30-40gb, at the same time a friend on a lappy nearby can immediately download.. and even display it via wireless :X

thats w/o using the d200 wireless transmitter though, and your files go directly to hdd.. down side is that.. lugging a lappy in a backpack quite.. uncomfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.