Shooting mode for weddings actual day

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUT

i was told if i use A mode, and i print out the pictures and lay them on the table, there wont be exposure 'consistency'.
which means, given a typical scene and different shots fired, some will have background brighter, some, dimmer.

for banquet, i understand using M.i tried it after reading my 'how to shoot banquet' thread, and the exposures are really consistent.

- who told u this? ur metering mode depends not on the mode but the type of metering and how u use also

- seriously, i suggest u use P mode in indoor situation. Actually, u should know how to shoot well first before taking a wedding ( and not actually asking pple WHAT mode to shoot in now)...but since u are at this unfortunate situation, go P mode and let the camera take care of it.

- who told u this? ur metering mode depends not on the mode but the type of metering and how u use also

- seriously, i suggest u use P mode in indoor situation. Actually, u should know how to shoot well first before taking a wedding ( and not actually asking pple WHAT mode to shoot in now)...but since u are at this unfortunate situation, go P mode and let the camera take care of it.

i know how to shoot.and in any case, i'm not the official photographer.i just want to shoot for fun.
so i thought i learn along the way by asking questions.
of course i wont screw up my friend's wedding if i do not know how to shoot and yet would want to cover her wedding.

actually, i tried it before.for night banquet, if you use A priority and let's say you have different scenes, eg, some bright and some dark, the pics will come out 'unevenly exposed'.so some table shots(for example), are brighter than the others.

actually, i tried it before.for night banquet, if you use A priority and let's say you have different scenes, eg, some bright and some dark, the pics will come out 'unevenly exposed'.so some table shots(for example), are brighter than the others.

no, the cam is fool by the surrounding, not becos of A mode.

hey, if shoot for fun then try M mode and try shooting with available light.

both in and out.

when you say meter the ev to -1, i dont really understand that.-1 wrt wat?the flash?so how do i know when it's -1 wrt to the flash since my flash is to ttl?
appreciate the explanation.

I think -1EV for the ambient.

BC

I think -1EV for the ambient.

BC

Exactly. When you meter the ambient lighting, normally you would get the cursor spot on in the center of the meter. What I am trying to say is that you purposely meter it a little under (-1ev) so that you get the surroundings a little less exposed compared to your subjects.

Arrgh! not very good at explaning these things. Hope I am not confusing you further. Sorry :embrass:

Any mode also can use as long as you are comfortable

M-manual
usually good for indoor where the ambient light does not change much. Use flash to bounce off ceiling or wall.

A-aperture priority
good for controlling DOF esp. shallow DOF for 3D effect. Flash for fill-in.

S-shutter speed priority
good for motion effect like panning , 2nd curtain sync , etc . Flash for fill-in.

P-program
if above mode give unsatisfied results, use this mode.

This is the best answer I feel. Gives the best understanding of how to handle your cam in all situations. :thumbsup: but hope that megaweb can elaborate more on the actual settings he will use for each situation.

i know how to shoot.and in any case, i'm not the official photographer.i just want to shoot for fun.
Since you are not official photographer and want to shoot for fun, my recommendation is use your cam + 70-200VR w/o flash. Shoot high ISO for moment candid and closeup shots. Let the official photographer capture the standard shots.

This is the best answer I feel. Gives the best understanding of how to handle your cam in all situations. :thumbsup: but hope that megaweb can elaborate more on the actual settings he will use for each situation.
wah to elaborate them , there will be ton of articles ... hahahhaa

guys, when you do weddings, how much memory do you carry?

i intend to shoot raw.and i have 15GB.is that sufficient for a FULL day wedding shoot?

i know it depends on individual but the last thing i want is to run out of memory.

i intend to shoot raw.and i have 15GB.is that sufficient for a FULL day wedding shoot?

i know it depends on individual but the last thing i want is to run out of memory.

No way I will shoot in RAW! Sorting the RAW photos will kill me. 4GB will get me about 500 10MP JPEG, more than sufficient.

BC

No way I will shoot in RAW! Sorting the RAW photos will kill me. 4GB will get me about 500 10MP JPEG, more than sufficient.

BC

why do you say sorting raw will kill?
all you need is lightroom to view the pics.once you like it, then you export to jpeg format.

raw definitely gives you room to correct in case u screw up...which most likely will happen for my case.:bsmilie:
so i'm playing it safe even though i'm not the official photographer.i just wanna have fun!

why do you say sorting raw will kill?
all you need is lightroom to view the pics.once you like it, then you export to jpeg format.

raw definitely gives you room to correct in case u screw up...which most likely will happen for my case.:bsmilie:
so i'm playing it safe even though i'm not the official photographer.i just wanna have fun!
Maybe my Mac not as fast as yours...:cry: ... I don't want to waste time converting RAW into JPEGs. If you have 300 photos to convert...:sweat:

Just want to have fun? I don't find converting RAW files fun...:what:

JPEGs can be corrected also mah... if you don't print big big, can't tell the diff lah. But if screw-up until you need RAW to correct... jialat liao.

BC

Hi,

I just wonder do you guys do a flash metering on the subject when shooting during the wedding. For what I know, re-composing the picture after focusing can result in a wrong exposure due to a wrong flash metering position. My question is:

1. Which camera metering mode is most ideal in what circumstances when using a flash?
2. Is flash metering lock or (*FEL in Canon) required during wedding photography, if not, how can we obtain good consistent exposures?

hope someone can help me on this.. Thanks in advance!

just don't screw up

is the D200 metering and your undestanding of your camera that bad?

yes.i'm that lousy.as well as my d200 metering.
you cant compare a super amateur to a old wise ortegandalf whose hands grows into dslr like yourself my highness.

you cant compare a super amateur to a old wise ortegandalf whose hands grows into dslr like yourself my highness.

i think better use P mode or your F5 with negs
should be easier and more accurate, my little one

Dun worry... 8 gig is enough. Unless you're a machine gunner and shoots everything...

only can you conjure up this one ... damn funny :bsmilie:

you have way more then enough memory ... for the D200, 15GB, you are looking at 1300-1400 shots ... if not enough, you must jave graduated to be a machine gunner :bigeyes:

btw, shoot RAW ... post processing in raw is actually simpler than with jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.