seeking advice: Tamron 10-24 vs Nikon 10-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
Hi guys.

I'm considering getting an UWA for landscapes, and my interest has been renewed with news of the Tamron 10-24 and also the Nikon 10-24 lenses. I know they're not constant aperture f/2.8, but that suits my usage (and budget) better. My intention is to stop down anyway.
There's a thread with a poll on favourite wide-angle lens, but the posts seem to have gotten hostile, so I'll leave that alone.

Just wanted some opinions from those who own either lens. Not really looking for sample pics. Just any feedback on how it was to use; were the pictures mind-blowing, etc...

thanks! appreciated.

You can look @ flickr or pbase on the photos taken with 10-24, you will have more examples taken by overseas photographers to see what you can do with this lens.

thanks! :)
i sort of already know what kind of shots I want to take with this lens.
Just looking for some feedback (it was my mistake with the thread title) from users of either lens, to convince me either way.
If in the end I feel like the Tamron is good value for money, i'd likely go for that. There are some negative reviews for this lens though. Hence my hesitation.

oh. I can't access Flickr from office. Restrictions.

How about the Tokina 12-24 and Sigma 10-20? They should be around the same price if not cheaper than the Nikon. Might wanna give it a look? From what I heard the the Tokina is great.

if you can afford OEM lenses, it always better to get one.

They have better resale value! (this is honestly not important for me but I see it all the time!)

one member told me once that third party lenses are ok BUT their coating tend to fade after a couple of years hence the sharpness of the pictures will be reduced.

just had the chance to use both,
and from my limited time with both of them, i'd say i prefer the nikon
it feels more sturdy and less bulky

and if i remember correctly it focuses faster too

For the Nikon you're asking for a lens so new it probably still feel warm on your hands. Good luck finding many people who can give you comments.

I second the buy original if you can afford it suggestion. I have a Sigma 10-20 which has served me well, and probably due to my light usage the lens is still brand new after 2.5 years. And it's performance taught me not to baulk at third party lens, although it is still only 1 of 2 third party lenses that I own, in my collection.

But buy original, sleep easy.

How about the Tokina 12-24 and Sigma 10-20? They should be around the same price if not cheaper than the Nikon. Might wanna give it a look? From what I heard the the Tokina is great.

Thanks for the heads-up. Yet more lenses to consider in my shortlist.

if you can afford OEM lenses, it always better to get one.

They have better resale value! (this is honestly not important for me but I see it all the time!)

one member told me once that third party lenses are ok BUT their coating tend to fade after a couple of years hence the sharpness of the pictures will be reduced.

The last point is an interesting one. Never really thought of that. However, this problem of fading over time would also not escape the Nikkor lens, especially if it's due to UV exposure, etc.

just had the chance to use both,
and from my limited time with both of them, i'd say i prefer the nikon
it feels more sturdy and less bulky

and if i remember correctly it focuses faster too

hmmm :think: ok thanks for that. You got comparative test time, with is invaluable.
I guess I should save up for the Nikkor then.

For the Nikon you're asking for a lens so new it probably still feel warm on your hands. Good luck finding many people who can give you comments.

I second the buy original if you can afford it suggestion. I have a Sigma 10-20 which has served me well, and probably due to my light usage the lens is still brand new after 2.5 years. And it's performance taught me not to baulk at third party lens, although it is still only 1 of 2 third party lenses that I own, in my collection.

But buy original, sleep easy.

hehehe i have an old Tamron on my Pentax film SLR, and it worked well for many years. I still sleep easy ;)
Yes I know the 2 lenses I mentioned are still very new to market. Was just looking for some feedback like Ortega offered, because I knew there was a 'molestation' session recently.

I've the Sigma 10-20mm and had a go of the Nikkor 10-24mm at the recent Nikon D5000 outing.

3503942848_80cd1e8579.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtemujin/sets/72157617516748530/

Personally, I feel that there is less distortion at 10mm compared to the Sigma and more sharp.

HTH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.