See what SQ did to my tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if this is how the airport staff abuse luggage that is checked in, then why do people still pay top dollar for LV luggage?
either it gets destroyed or stolen.

that is because they can afford to. destroyed/stolen, all the better since it makes way for new ones. :)

I think you travelled during the period where the French airport staffs went on strike is it? :(

Your tripod actually looked like it dropped out of the luggage container and got crushed by another baggage truck :think:

The most embarrassed luggage mishap I saw was some years back in Shanghai. An Ang Mo lady's luggage broke opened along the conveyor belt spilling her bras, underwear, and other belongings along the conveyor belts. And I dunno whether I should help picked up her undies :dunno::bsmilie:

After that I always put a lock band across my luggage to avoid such incidents happening to myself :(

im amazed that they even have the guts to return it to you.....

That lock band has another useful purpose of making your luggage more recognisable... there are some clowns in the airports that will just happily take the 1st luggage that comes along which looks somewhat like their own.

And there are some that will even mistakenly take a case of a completely different colour and brand!

I think you travelled during the period where the French airport staffs went on strike is it? :(

I went after the strikes...

...and no, Reno. No word from SQ yet. Been too busy at work to chase them, but shouldn't they at least give some word after 2-3 weeks?

Thanks for the reminder anyway. Will call them tonight.

I went after the strikes...

...and no, Reno. No word from SQ yet. Been too busy at work to chase them, but shouldn't they at least give some word after 2-3 weeks?

Thanks for the reminder anyway. Will call them tonight.

try calling their customer service support. All the best. Hope you can claim one tripod back.

try calling their customer service support. All the best. Hope you can claim one tripod back.

in this case, the phrase 'customer service support' is an oxymoron...there's no service, and there's no support...

if this is how the airport staff abuse luggage that is checked in, then why do people still pay top dollar for LV luggage?
either it gets destroyed or stolen.

Nope. If your luggage bag is broken, they will pay.

There is a whole list of rules regarding that. For eg, if you fly SQ to malaysia, then hop thai airways to bangkok, den hop a british air flight to USA, the last plane you sat on will be responsible for fixing your bag. No prob de.

However, the contents of the bag is not so clear de..

Actually last time they broke my luggage and they promptly offer to "repair" it. They told me that as long as it is repair-able they will repair it. If not, they will replace it with the new one. So my suggestion is to try to follow up with SQ and see what they say ...

well, they finally replied...after more than 3 weeks. To cut a long story short, they sent a letter expressing their sincere apologies and the usual PR/Comms and self-flagellation statements about not being able to provide the service standards they try to maintain...yada yada. The main gist was, the item was considered fragile in nature, and under the General Conditions of Carriage, the airline (SQ) is excluded from liabilities of fragile items. Notwithstanding the above, on goodwill gesture, they are prepared to offer SGD 75 in full and final settlement. They also realise that the amount might not meet my expectations (damn right it doesn't), but they seek my understanding that they are sincere in their proposal, and hope that i will accept this offer with the spirit it is given (which is what? to get me to shut up and stop bugging them?).

well, they finally replied...after more than 3 weeks. To cut a long story short, they sent a letter expressing their sincere apologies and the usual PR/Comms and self-flagellation statements about not being able to provide the service standards they try to maintain...yada yada. The main gist was, the item was considered fragile in nature, and under the General Conditions of Carriage, the airline (SQ) is excluded from liabilities of fragile items. Notwithstanding the above, on goodwill gesture, they are prepared to offer SGD 75 in full and final settlement. They also realise that the amount might not meet my expectations (damn right it doesn't), but they seek my understanding that they are sincere in their proposal, and hope that i will accept this offer with the spirit it is given (which is what? to get me to shut up and stop bugging them?).
Wow, if a tripod is considered fragile, then what is considered rugged? A dumbell?:think:

Omg... This is shocking a tripod is being damaged to this state ... $75 cannot even buy a benro to replace your tripod.... This is really shocking since it's a world class airline and only pay $75 to compensate for what they did... :(

woah... it really surprises me. First they don't allow you to carry in the tripod onto the plane and asked you to check in, and they got the tripod damaged till beyond repair stage. In the end they took more than 3 weeks to reply and compensate you with the amount that is less than 1/2 the price of your tripod. This is a very disappointing reply from SIA.

How much did the tripod cost?
when did u buy it?

OMG! SQ somemore. :think: Good thing u didnt bring ur Manfrotto tripod. :sweat: I will also keep a reminder for myself, not to check-in my Manfrotto tripod on board the plane.

I believe airlines have limited liability if items gets damaged. It should be stated on their websites.

Sorry to hear about your tripod.

IMO, the best bet is to purchase travel insurance prior to any trip. Compensation for such damages would be paid out with minimal hassle. For example, most 'general travel' insurance would pay ~$200 for every 8hr delay per baggage. Depending on the policy, a 2 day delay of 2 luggages would get you ~ $1K compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.