SEA Games - Phones taken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with a Phys Ed teacher at the weekend who told me that this approach of complete team isolation was popular in the 80s but deemed to have a negative effect and is not used at all now by major competitive teams. When you see teams arriving for major football matches now, I've noticed that a lot of players are plugged into their iPods and quite distant from the rest of the team. I am sure they have their phones with them too!

I am sure a lot of research has gone into this area but doubt whether the Singapore Hockey Federation has studied any of it.

Anyone know whether they won yesterday or not? Despite six pages of coverage in Today, they do not have any result, even in a big list of results. I think the media is only interested in the sports that Singapore do well at.

umm..http://www.seagames2007.th/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=384&Itemid=107

I dun see Sg leh:dunno:

a little ot..

those who are interested in the rest of the results.. they are found here in team Sg site. click on the colored squares for the results.

I spoke with a Phys Ed teacher at the weekend who told me that this approach of complete team isolation was popular in the 80s but deemed to have a negative effect and is not used at all now by major competitive teams. When you see teams arriving for major football matches now, I've noticed that a lot of players are plugged into their iPods and quite distant from the rest of the team. I am sure they have their phones with them too!

I am sure a lot of research has gone into this area but doubt whether the Singapore Hockey Federation has studied any of it.

Anyone know whether they won yesterday or not? Despite six pages of coverage in Today, they do not have any result, even in a big list of results. I think the media is only interested in the sports that Singapore do well at.

Day 5 : 9 Dec 07 (Sunday)
Our Female team lost to Malaysia 5-0 :(

That was always going to be result. To think a punitive measure was going to propel the team into beating Malaysia was just ludicrous. So not only will the team be down, they won't even have the comfort of receiving support from friends and family back home. Some of the team are pretty young and I am sure they are finding it much tougher than my wife, they are probably quite homesick.

As people might be able to tell, I am really really p*****d off about this whole situation.

That was always going to be result. To think a punitive measure was going to propel the team into beating Malaysia was just ludicrous. So not only will the team be down, they won't even have the comfort of receiving support from friends and family back home. Some of the team are pretty young and I am sure they are finding it much tougher than my wife, they are probably quite homesick.

As people might be able to tell, I am really really p*****d off about this whole situation.

there's a forum in teamsg site.. you might want to "feedback" there. ;) Ro better still write to ST.

Honestly we dont really know what the coaches rational is for doing so but I think we should refrain from calling them names and giving our "valued" input as can be seen from so many posts here. Its not too different from onlookers shouting their own strategies at soccer matches as if they are the coaches. The question should be one posted by the wife in private to her coaches and not by outsiders blowing it out of porportion here.

Finally I dont believe that the girls lose because their handphones were taken from them.... they lose because simply they are not good enough. And that should be a learning experience. I think that should anyone of them actually say that they lost because they had no handphones. Then I would say mentally they are really weak.....

Honestly we dont really know what the coaches rational is for doing.....

Its called fly by the seat of their pants :bsmilie:

This is the SEA Games u r talking abt not some regional open meets. One of the many reasons why phones are banned is becoz first of their spouse or boyfriend.

Since your wife is in a team game, how can the manager take the risk of having boyfriends called every now and then. having husbands called to whine and worse end up quarrelling. Eliminate distractions and just focus for the 12 days whats so difficult about that. If you do not want the restrictions by the manager in a team event...tell her to switch to individual events like running or swimming or bowling. I never have any problems or restrictions before as an athlete taking part in individual events. If i lose its all on me...but in a team event its different.

I suggest u suck thumb, respect what the manager or coach is doing for the team and give her and the team the moral support.

Honestly we dont really know what the coaches rational is for doing so but I think we should refrain from calling them names and giving our "valued" input as can be seen from so many posts here. Its not too different from onlookers shouting their own strategies at soccer matches as if they are the coaches. The question should be one posted by the wife in private to her coaches and not by outsiders blowing it out of porportion here.

Finally I dont believe that the girls lose because their handphones were taken from them.... they lose because simply they are not good enough. And that should be a learning experience. I think that should anyone of them actually say that they lost because they had no handphones. Then I would say mentally they are really weak.....

No-one has called anyone names and I have no wish to go to the press or to write to TeamSg (at this time). I am venting my frustrations in a forum and that is all.

No-one said that the women lost their game because they weren't allowed to have their handphones. However, I believe that given their chances of success at the games, the confiscation of handphones at the airport without any prior warning was a futile and punitive measure which I cannot understand.

The truth is I miss my wife and I hate not being to wish her luck for the games and to text in the evening to say goodnight. If you aren't married or haven't been in a serious relationship, I guess you won't understand that.

Since your wife is in a team game, how can the manager take the risk of having boyfriends called every now and then. having husbands called to whine and worse end up quarrelling. Eliminate distractions and just focus for the 12 days whats so difficult about that. If you do not want the restrictions by the manager in a team event...tell her to switch to individual events like running or swimming or bowling. I never have any problems or restrictions before as an athlete taking part in individual events. If i lose its all on me...but in a team event its different.

I suggest u suck thumb, respect what the manager or coach is doing for the team and give her and the team the moral support.

Do you think I am stupid enough to be calling her all the time when she is at the SEA games? I fully support her and the team and would not do anything to disrupt. I am not a whining husband but a supportive partner in what she does. However, I would like to think that she could be respected by her coach to contact me at appropriate times as I am sure it would put her mind at rest and allow her to concentrate fully on the games.

No-one has called anyone names and I have no wish to go to the press or to write to TeamSg (at this time). I am venting my frustrations in a forum and that is all.

No-one said that the women lost their game because they weren't allowed to have their handphones. However, I believe that given their chances of success at the games, the confiscation of handphones at the airport without any prior warning was a futile and punitive measure which I cannot understand.

The truth is I miss my wife and I hate not being to wish her luck for the games and to text in the evening to say goodnight. If you aren't married or haven't been in a serious relationship, I guess you won't understand that.

Im not talking about you calling names.... Im talking about the many comments that have been posted here about the coaches and why are they doing this and that.... as if the posters are the coaches themselves.

And correction I think by your post and Mr Deadpoet's post, it is clearly implied that the girls lost because they missed home because they couldnt call home. As Lumiere said, its sports and it demands sacrifices... by whining all the time about small matters like this.... it's no wonder why we cant win cos we are mentally weak. Team Vietnam had to get all their clubs to pool money together to get the Vietnamese team to take part, for them just getting the players there was a challenge. I seriously dont think they would even have the resources to make regular calls home.

And once again correction, Im not a young boy who have not been in serious relationships or am not married so kindly do not assume that everyone has your level of dependency in the relationship. I and my peers are mature enough that we leave our other halves alone when they are overseas doing their work and they do the same for us.

The confiscation of the phones is something you wife has to ask her coach the reason for why. Best not for us to make any assumptions.

Im not talking about you calling names.... Im talking about the many comments that have been posted here about the coaches and why are they doing this and that.... as if the posters are the coaches themselves.

And correction I think by your post and Mr Deadpoet's post, it is clearly implied that the girls lost because they missed home because they couldnt call home. As Lumiere said, its sports and it demands sacrifices... by whining all the time about small matters like this.... it's no wonder why we cant win cos we are mentally weak. Team Vietnam had to get all their clubs to pool money together to get the Vietnamese team to take part, for them just getting the players there was a challenge. I seriously dont think they would even have the resources to make regular calls home.

And once again correction, Im not a young boy who have not been in serious relationships or am not married so kindly do not assume that everyone has your level of dependency in the relationship. I and my peers are mature enough that we leave our other halves alone when they are overseas doing their work and they do the same for us.

The confiscation of the phones is something you wife has to ask her coach the reason for why. Best not for us to make any assumptions.

DESPITE what you think don't you think it a little fore warning on the no communication decision would have avoided all this unhappiness and speculation?

Read, comprehend, then you can make assumptions.

Since I love to make assumptions, so I got to let you make assumptions, misguided they might be, but it's a free world.

The confiscation of hand phones really did nothing to help the team form the 5-0 lost. With or without hand phone, they were outclassed. However, such barbaric measures, confiscation of something that such a part of our daily lives is uncalled for.

What Vietnam does is Vientnam's problem. Hand phone is part of Singapore culture. What is the rational to deprive the team of a mean to contact their family?

I asked a question, what is the policy for the rest of the Singaporean team?

Sacrifice? I then as, all the sacrificed the team members made, their time, their youth, and be away from their family, and yet we the coaches denied them the comfort from being able to be in touch with their family.

IT'S BARBARIC.

What I really do not understand is, certain members on this forum, are completely devoid of compassion. Demanding sacrifices beyond reasons. Oh well.

Do you think I am stupid enough to be calling her all the time when she is at the SEA games? I fully support her and the team and would not do anything to disrupt. I am not a whining husband but a supportive partner in what she does. However, I would like to think that she could be respected by her coach to contact me at appropriate times as I am sure it would put her mind at rest and allow her to concentrate fully on the games.

its not abt u or ur wife..its the whole team...if ur wife can control...wat if other team mates can't...its abt the team's discipline. team work as a whole...one suffer all suffer together and if the team wins...they win as a team. As far as i know there is hardly enough time for play during the entire campaign

its a big competition...u r staying at the athletes village which is not even a 3 star hotel. u need to train, get used to climate and food, focus on the game and the also the jitters at such level of competition...

It only seems barbaric to someone who have no sense of discipline. Anyway its only for 12 days...give her a good treat and show her your support when she come back...i'm sure she will feel alot alot better. This is my humble point of view as a former athlete.

Even if we cannot win the competition. But if we are disciplined, well trained, and with good team rapport. Team Singapore can hold their heads up high...why get fussed up over a small hand phone matter. Anyway it is stupid to say that hand phone is singapore's culture. What is the meaning of a culture anyway?

Having seen other athletes from other countries, i can say that they are very very well disciplined and they respect their coach alot. You have to be in their shoes to understand.

I don't see a link between mobile phones and discipline, and those who claim there is, needs a logic check.

its not abt u or ur wife..its the whole team...if ur wife can control...wat if other team mates can't...its abt the team's discipline. team work as a whole...one suffer all suffer together and if the team wins...they win as a team. As far as i know there is hardly enough time for play during the entire campaign

its a big competition...u r staying at the athletes village which is not even a 3 star hotel. u need to train, get used to climate and food, focus on the game and the also the jitters at such level of competition...

It only seems barbaric to someone who have no sense of discipline. Anyway its only for 12 days...give her a good treat and show her your support when she come back...i'm sure she will feel alot alot better. This is my humble point of view as a former athlete.

Even if we cannot win the competition. But if we are disciplined, well trained, and with good team rapport. Team Singapore can hold their heads up high...why get fussed up over a small hand phone matter. Anyway it is stupid to say that hand phone is singapore's culture. What is the meaning of a culture anyway?

Having seen other athletes from other countries, i can say that they are very very well disciplined and they respect their coach alot. You have to be in their shoes to understand.

I agree with you fully on that.... and coming from an ex althlete as yourself. I would say it holds more weight than the constant rantings of certain individuals here who firstly are not even in sports, secondly have never been in sports and want to rant and rant like a bunch of overgrown children and about barbarism....

To others:

Remarks like Team Vietnam's issue is their problem? well so typical of Singaporean's I am so mighty and so superior mentality which is ironically the very thing that makes them so unpopular in the region. Learn from others, learn their discipline and their sacrifice that we dont have. Incidentally "poor" team Vietnam trashed 2 world powers in 2 wars the last I remembered.... And if Im not wrong their medal tally is above ours at the moment with no foreign import... we are still depending on foreign imports like China girl Tao Li for our golds. You call that pride? I call that shame... All we have are a nation of whiners that complain about every single thing. Incidentally handphones are not a neccessity... if others can not have it..... must we have it? Its just another symbol of how spoilt our youngsters are that you see primary school kids carrying handphones....

You write like you're from one of the Government agency.

It's a big brush to say that it's typical Singaporean behaviour.

I don't see a link between mobile phones and discipline, and those who claim there is, needs a logic check.

It's not about the handphones. Its about trusting your coaches and knowing that it was a team decision and not whining about "human rights" infringement. If our team players cannot work together in a team, how to play as a team.... All I hear so far are complains after complains about the team's coaches.... well if there is so much unhappiness, then bring it up formally and officially instead of whining about it here....

Status
Not open for further replies.