School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing session

maybe yet another case of special service from apple representative.. :sweat:

Apple volunteered to write up an educational App for free. And at opps at the moment, only IPADs run it.
If there are kickbacks involved ... opps .. Applegate

its quite normal ppl in govt sector are always wasting resources, thinking that they are using govt funds..

eh... parents are funding this. not govt sector.

maybe yet another case of special service from apple representative.. :sweat:

actually no. NCS is the one developing the apps (as far as my info is concerned)

With regards t this particular top secondary schoo, I have no good comments for its principal ... and if it was his initiative, then i dont think many teachers are behind it. It may be one of those plans that he just decided to shove down to the teachers to implement.

just curious, are u an ex JJC, HCI or RV? :p

This is the digital revolution. Before the death of Steve, he was set on bringing text book into iPad. Publisher like McGraw Hill and Pearson are part of it.

Having a huge book or maybe several books 600 to 1000 pages thick and lugging it to school is no joke. But with an IPad or a tablet the loads our kids need to
carry can be reduce.

Plus having text books and notes in digital is great for quick search and notes compression and consolidation.

Last edited:
Less heavy school bag

attractive yes... but no causal effect shown yet on the impacts of studying.

Education Week: Educators Evaluate Learning Benefits of iPad

and the really really odd thing is that, while there are very positive evaluations as of now on the ipad, i don't need to look further than 2008 to look at other older studies on tablet PCs.

the really ironic thing is how much hype and buzz was also over them. i believe it was the same when the e-learning system was first implemented.
Education Week: Educators Evaluate Learning Benefits of iPad

http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/news/CGS_Double.pdf

i sense that in any research with regards to tech in school, all show short term engagement and perhaps some improvements, yet in the long term, not sustainable.
in short, a fad la.

Last edited:
I believe Nanyang Girls' also implemented iPad for certain level. Not sure if it's compulsory though, got to check.

Hmmm, must find out who's the salesgirl or salesman that deals with their respective opposite sex principals.
Anyway people just lov to be monopolized by apple and still say shiok. Kind of having daily wet dream and a prolonged climax.

Last edited:
Hmmm, must find out who's the salesgirl or salesman that deals with their respective opposite sex principals.
Anyway people just lov to be monopolized by apple and still say shiok. Kind of having daily wet dream and a prolonged climax.

Cannot deny Apple makes good products. :)

I believe Nanyang Girls' also implemented iPad for certain level. Not sure if it's compulsory though, got to check.

i know of nanyang's project. but isn't it surprising at how big the hurrah and hoo-haa differs between NY vs RV?

iPad implementation at Nanyang Girls' School in Singapore ~ ICT For Educators

my guesses for the difference is this:

1: RV doesn't seem to have an open documentation which the public can access to, unlike nanyang which has both the news and youtube to help people understand better.
2: the scale is different, and the funds for the programs come from different sources.
3: one was a test bed study, while the other was a full scale implementation

Cannot deny Apple makes good products. :)

u kidding me right? :what:

thats another can of worms that i will like to avoid opening here. so back to topic, schs and ipad.

i know of nanyang's project. but isn't it surprising at how big the hurrah and hoo-haa differs between NY vs RV?

iPad implementation at Nanyang Girls' School in Singapore ~ ICT For Educators

my guesses for the difference is this:

1: RV doesn't seem to have an open documentation which the public can access to, unlike nanyang which has both the news and youtube to help people understand better.
2: the scale is different, and the funds for the programs come from different sources.
3: one was a test bed study, while the other was a full scale implementation

Article above is dated already. Nanyang Girls' has implemented the iPad for all Sec 1 & 2 this year. Students to purchase their own, assistance given to the needy only.

My colleague told me his son from other Secondary School, 800 students need to buy Mac Book pro this year. His elder son who just graduated from same school, bought $3k Tablet (Intel Chipset) previously.

oh, i am anti-android, not standard UI at all. different maker different interface. no time and not interested to learn how to use them. i was using palm(black and white) since like more than 10 yrs back. then move to windows mobile. then Linux on Motorola.

every devices come out have to learn how to use them, how to sync them...zzz... syncing is very important. they have to come out with a "standard". i dont want to loss all my data. i got my andriod like 1.5 yrs back..wtf!!! so hard to sync and problematic....then thanks to rashkae, recommended me touchdown.........back to the topic

so, who will pay for the ipad? school or students?

Last edited:
My nephews bought the MAC PROs for their school projects since last year.......so its going to be not uncommon for schools to adopt using such IT tools for education purposes. In my opinion, the same rationale goes for IPAD2. Whether who pays for the costs of the IPAD2 will be secondary if RV makes this a mandatory school item for each student. Parents die die must buy for the child.....no way out.......

oh, i am anti-android, not standard UI at all. different maker different interface. no time and not interested to learn how to use them. i was using palm(black and white) since like more than 10 yrs back. then move to windows mobile. then Linux on Motorola.

every devices come out have to learn how to use them, how to sync them...zzz... syncing is very important. they have to come out with a "standard". i dont want to loss all my data. i got my andriod like 1.5 yrs back..wtf!!! so hard to sync and problematic....then thanks to rashkae, recommended me touchdown.........back to the topic

so, who will pay for the ipad? school or students?

students :)

My nephews bought the MAC PROs for their school projects since last year.......so its going to be not uncommon for schools to adopt using such IT tools for education purposes. In my opinion, the same rationale goes for IPAD2. Whether who pays for the costs of the IPAD2 will be secondary if RV makes this a mandatory school item for each student. Parents die die must buy for the child.....no way out.......

but what kind of school? i can understand if it was a arts sch...

your nephew bought a Mac Pro for their school project? Any reason why a MacBook Pro cannot do the job?