School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing session

it was part of the idea. I don't think I actually benefited much, apart from looking like a walking poster for lining thanks to pe and socks. and yes. it is a badminton academy. inside hall covered with prc badminton star banner.
Hmm..., do RVHS offer athletic scholarship? :think:

Hmm..., do RVHS offer athletic scholarship? :think:

apparently now, yes. but whats the point? if people really want a sports career, sports sch is obvious. why the need for a duplication of resources, when there is a lack of people signing up to sports sch already?

i never liked the way li-ning branding is inflicted onto the sch.

The school tried to push tablet laptops to the students back in 03. Those old bulky laptops with a swivel screen. What came out of it? I remember it was big hoohaa in the news. Something like 12 laptops for the school. And those laptops weren't cheap, like over $3k apiece in 03 prices. After that, never heard anything.

Also former students told me the principal had a laptop with a program for calculating school rankings and results. He would project the graphs during assembly, and make the students waste 20 min listening while he analyzed the data. He would also identify threats from up-and-coming neighbourhood schools. Is the present principal still doing this crap?

The school tried to push tablet laptops to the students back in 03. Those old bulky laptops with a swivel screen. What came out of it? I remember it was big hoohaa in the news. Something like 12 laptops for the school. And those laptops weren't cheap, like over $3k apiece in 03 prices. After that, never heard anything.

Also former students told me the principal had a laptop with a program for calculating school rankings and results. He would project the graphs during assembly, and make the students waste 20 min listening while he analyzed the data. He would also identify threats from up-and-coming neighbourhood schools. Is the present principal still doing this crap?
u mean RV?

of all things, an ipad...doesn't the school know that it is but a luxury product ?
there are cheaper tablets around other than apple.

Yes rvhs.

previous principal was in charge of the 2003 tablets. the tablets were never maxed to its full potential, to draw, to create, etc. though i put it to great use, because i came from the computer club. self taught image manipulation and extensive photoshop tricks. out of say... the whole sch, maybe per level only 3-4 knows how to use the tablet to its full potential? at least thats from my observation la. the photoshop skills died with my level. web div, which photoshop and a lot of stuff which used the tablet came under, died lor. i was their last few members.

have to admit that many of the laptops crashed, because students were downloading stuff left right center, and end up virus a lot. the lab techs had a hard time. i looked after and had a "personal" tablet which i sign out everytime. comes with my own set of internet security and protection tats why.

which brings to mind, the sch also bought MACs previously, which was used to teach art actually. soem of the works done was really powerful, with photoshop i think. but now i don't remember the existence anymore leh. they died with the O-lvls i think, when art was still a course which can be pursued in schools. the older macs, if got 14, a good 7-8 actually died, and i have no idea how. i loaned the older macs to do a photography exhibition for the school before, big headache cause i only managed 6.

as for current one? yes. he is still doing that show numbers thing. it was more depressing than encouraging actually. time extended to 1 hour iirc

Last edited:
previous principal was in charge of the 2003 tablets. the tablets were never maxed to its full potential, to draw, to create, etc. though i put it to great use, because i came from the computer club. self taught image manipulation and extensive photoshop tricks. out of say... the whole sch, maybe per level only 3-4 knows how to use the tablet to its full potential? at least thats from my observation la. the photoshop skills died with my level. web div, which photoshop and a lot of stuff which used the tablet came under, died lor. i was their last few members.

have to admit that many of the laptops crashed, because students were downloading stuff left right center, and end up virus a lot. the lab techs had a hard time. i looked after and had a "personal" tablet which i sign out everytime. comes with my own set of internet security and protection tats why.

which brings to mind, the sch also bought MACs previously, which was used to teach art actually. soem of the works done was really powerful, with photoshop i think. but now i don't remember the existence anymore leh. they died with the O-lvls i think, when art was still a course which can be pursued in schools. the older macs, if got 14, a good 7-8 actually died, and i have no idea how. i loaned the older macs to do a photography exhibition for the school before, big headache cause i only managed 6.

as for current one? yes. he is still doing that show numbers thing. it was more depressing than encouraging actually. time extended to 1 hour iirc

I know alot of former students who haven't got nice things to say about that school. They say they feel the teachers and principal treat students merely as tools to achieve school rankings and fulfil their kpis. And i heard their former vice principal assaulted a girl, but instead of being fired, he was transferred to moe hq.

I know alot of former students who haven't got nice things to say about that school. They say they feel the teachers and principal treat students merely as tools to achieve school rankings and fulfil their kpis. And i heard their former vice principal assaulted a girl, but instead of being fired, he was transferred to moe hq.

as for former VP, i sense it was before my era, which was the last 6 years, hence i cannot say. as to whether allegations were true or not, i am unable to verify, but i sense highly unlikely.

as for students being tools, in general not really ATM. i have some great relationships with some teachers, but i admit not ALL are equally committed to teaching, some want to stir the water and touch the fish. i have my fair share too.

as for former VP, i sense it was before my era, which was the last 6 years, hence i cannot say. as to whether allegations were true or not, i am unable to verify, but i sense highly unlikely.

The guy's name is Ng Lee Huat. Former vp of rvhs. Went on to become principal of Nan Chiau High. There he assaulted a girl. Moe said this action cannot be condoned, yet they posted him to moe hq, and he's still there ever since.

The guy's name is Ng Lee Huat. Former vp of rvhs. Went on to become principal of Nan Chiau High. There he assaulted a girl. Moe said this action cannot be condoned, yet they posted him to moe hq, and he's still there ever since.

interesting. sauce? (pardon me i'm too tired to google hahaha)

ridiculous. sorry but this is no longer ancient china, where u hit a kid because he was not obedient etc. it just doesn't work anymore. Its a mentality from the kampung era essentially.

now people have a better understanding of learning processes, things change and improve. even our current prison system no longer works just by whacking, they are looking at other things such as counselling, rehabilitation, job training, community programmes. i don't think even a smack is allowed, at the school's level, unless something serious was committed.

i have seen public cannings before, in my primary school days. AFAIK, parents have to sign and agree to it, and only principal is allowed to whack. choice is given for public or private caning. but that was almost what, 8 years ago?

well, as for RV, it seems like they have no intention of releasing any information. their stand seems to me that the "greater goal of education" is ultimately its students, not managing the public. so long as the students benefits, they don't need to explain anything further.

Last edited:
ridiculous. sorry but this is no longer ancient china, where u hit a kid because he was not obedient etc. it just doesn't work anymore. Its a mentality from the kampung era essentially.

now people have a better understanding of learning processes, things change and improve. even our current prison system no longer works just by whacking, they are looking at other things such as counselling, rehabilitation, job training, community programmes. i don't think even a smack is allowed, at the school's level, unless something serious was committed.

i have seen public cannings before, in my primary school days. AFAIK, parents have to sign and agree to it, and only principal is allowed to whack. choice is given for public or private caning. but that was almost what, 8 years ago?
I beg to differ, coming from an era where teachers bring a rattan cane around with them everywhere. I'm a firm believer of "spare the rod and spoil the child". Anyway kids nowadays are even more thick skin than ever before, must cane even harder, some of their parents should also be caned alongside.

Since you are from a top neighbourhood school, you may have not experienced just how atrocious and disrespectful some pupils can be even going as far as threatening their teachers physically.

Last edited:
I beg to differ, coming from an era where teachers bring a rattan cane around with them everywhere. I'm a firm believer of "spare the rod and spoil the child". Anyway kids nowadays are even more thick skin than ever before, must cane even harder, some of their parents should also be caned alongside.

Since you are from a top neighbourhood school, you may have not experienced just how atrocious and disrespectful some pupils can be even going as far as threatening their teachers physically.

oh u will be surprised:)

Oh you'd be surprised too

:) rv also got. not never happen before. IIRC there was a incident of card fraud also, amounting to a few hundred dollars.

i call them white collared crimes hahahaha!

Singaporean really funny, the mthly tuition fees and field trips that parents folk out for their kid can easily cover the cost (700+) for the base model so why the fuss?

I can understand if some not well to do family finding it hard but i am sure the school can make installment or loaner set available just for these special case.

My kid barely 6 mths old already have her 1st ipad2 with so many kids apps available, beside parent also can use it to watch pptv :)

well, as for RV, it seems like they have no intention of releasing any information. their stand seems to me that the "greater goal of education" is ultimately its students, not managing the public. so long as the students benefits, they don't need to explain anything further.

Oops I just googled for the link when you asked for source
Have only experienced tertiary education here in Sg, so can't quite comment
Remember the times of old when the discipline master would brisk walk in from the back and give the student a slap and a shake for monkeying around
And the principal throwing a plastic chair at a group of students for brawling, broke it up instantly!
Ahh martial law, it's the only law I know :S :)

Singaporean really funny, the mthly tuition fees and field trips that parents folk out for their kid can easily cover the cost (700+) for the base model so why the fuss?

I can understand if some not well to do family finding it hard but i am sure the school can make installment or loaner set available just for these special case.

My kid barely 6 mths old already have her 1st ipad2 with so many kids apps available, beside parent also can use it to watch pptv :)

i have none of these btw, been on 0 fieldtrips, 0 tuition, dun even travel with sch programmes, unless its free/sponsored by my edusave. so yes, i'm one, and its not a small number. and am i handicapped without ipad? no.

i think even if they did have, i probably will do as well as most of them, probably not much difference.