S2 IS street price 800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the downside of not having a MF function ? are there any special effects that cannot be achieve without Manual Focus ?

Rocklance said:
The dcresource review said in the conclusion: "Those flaws included poor low light focusing (due to the lack of an AF-assist lamp)".

I thought the S2 actually has an AF-assist lamp that projects a checker-box pattern. Can someone confirm please? Thanks.

hmm? direct quote of the S2 in low-light from dcresource.com

"Autofocus speeds are good, though not as fast as the Panasonic FZ5 or Sony DSC-H1. Typically the camera takes 0.3 - 0.5 seconds to focus and longer at the telephoto end or if the camera needs to "hunt" a bit. One of the weak points on the original PowerShot S1 was its low light focusing abilities and I'm pleased to report that the S2 does much better in that regard. You can thank the AF-assist lamp for that!"

as a user of S1, i can tell u the S1 in low-light is sometimes a pain in the posterior... :( darn... shld have waited for the S2.. :bsmilie:

Some situations where MF can be useful (mind you, I am no expert):

- When your subject (which you want to focus on) is mixed with other things in the foreground or background. Spot focusing could work but often you have to use MF. Examples: bird on a tree amongst leaves, animals in a cage (where you want to blur the wire cage and focus on the animal beyond).

- Manual focus lets you set focus to infinity. (Some scene modes do that too but they have other bundled settings.) This is useful when you don't actually want to focus on any item but rather want to take in the whole scene. Examples: landscape, firework.

Having said that, not sure how useful MF is on the S2 though. Typically the center part of the view is enlarged to help you see better, but usually the resolution is too low to be really useful. (Infinity focusing should be easy to set though.)

Oops, sorry, I didn't read the dcresource conclusion part carefully. Actually when it talks about "Those flaws included poor low light focusing (due to the lack of an AF-assist lamp)", that's referring to the S1. The S2 does have AF-assist lamp.

BTW, the 7-in-1 bag has the Canon badge on it. Inside, you'll find a cleaning kit and mini Tripod, also with the Canon badge on it.

The free 256MB SD card is a Kingston, the ultra type with blue label. Both must claim from Canon Habourfront, NOT funan.

I went down to Funan only to be told all free gifts now must collect from Habourfront.

My previous digicam, Canon A80, I went to Funan to clam the free gifts.

BlueBull said:
BTW, the 7-in-1 bag has the Canon badge on it. Inside, you'll find a cleaning kit and mini Tripod, also with the Canon badge on it.

The free 256MB SD card is a Kingston, the ultra type with blue label. Both must claim from Canon Habourfront, NOT funan.

I went down to Funan only to be told all free gifts now must collect from Habourfront.

My previous digicam, Canon A80, I went to Funan to clam the free gifts.

Didn't you get a little map of the new service centre of canon from MS Color? They gave me one and told me to go HarbourFront.

Went last Saturday and collected the freebies. Now looking for NiMH batteries. Most likely going back to MS Color sometime this week (on account I left my umbrella there as well).

felixcat8888 said:
Didn't you get a little map of the new service centre of canon from MS Color? They gave me one and told me to go HarbourFront.

Went last Saturday and collected the freebies. Now looking for NiMH batteries. Most likely going back to MS Color sometime this week (on account I left my umbrella there as well).

Yah got it, but the MS color guy told me Funan also have. Maybe its miscommunication. Maybe he meant Funan also has a Canon outlet.

But I was not told exactly that the free gifts must be claimed from Habourfront.

But anyway, small issue lah, this.

BlueBull said:
Yah got it, but the MS color guy told me Funan also have. Maybe its miscommunication. Maybe he meant Funan also has a Canon outlet.

But I was not told exactly that the free gifts must be claimed from Habourfront.

But anyway, small issue lah, this.

BTW, BlueBull,

What type of rechargeble batteries brand are you using? 2100 or 2300 or 2500mAh?

Cheers....

felixcat8888 said:
BTW, BlueBull,

What type of rechargeble batteries brand are you using? 2100 or 2300 or 2500mAh?

Cheers....

I'm using Sanyo 2500mAh rechargeables. I have 8 of them, and a set of 4 2100mAh Sanyos as well.

nightwolf75 said:
gee... did u factor in taxes, shipping, postage etc... :rolleyes:

i think its normal to assume shipping to singapore from japan is definitely cheaper than to the US and singapore normally have lower taxes too..

BlueBull said:
I'm using Sanyo 2500mAh rechargeables. I have 8 of them, and a set of 4 2100mAh Sanyos as well.

good choice! :thumbsup: unless, u're willing to spend more moolah on the new varta batts... :sweat: i believe in dcresource's review, the author gave a list of performace figures for batt life in S2. the recommendation was to use batts 2300Mah and above.

nightwolf75 said:
good choice! :thumbsup: unless, u're willing to spend more moolah on the new varta batts... :sweat: i believe in dcresource's review, the author gave a list of performace figures for batt life in S2. the recommendation was to use batts 2300Mah and above.

spend more moolah? :bigeyes: :nono:

quite broke after the S2 acquisition........ OC will also put me on stand2 indefinitely.... :sweat:

Been using the Sanyos since the 1800mah times, or was it 1900mah? Can't remember... but so far Sanyo rechargeables have not let me down....

sigh.. the leica thingy again...

I've taken a look at the specs sheet.. S2 IS meant to compete with the FZ-5 actually.. no hot shoe, no fix aperture for lens..

but even when DCR compare the cam against FZ-20, i find that the S2 still hold its ground pretty well, despite being a slight unfair comparison- e.g lens is diff liao fix 2.8 compared to 2.7~3.5 variable aperture

Good thing about S2 IS for using 4xAA is that, it has superior battery life.. 550 shots CIPA as compared to 300 (FZ-5) and 240 (FZ-20)

furthermore, when u really runs out of juice, u can easily obtain AA Batteries.

Swivel LCD is good for taking self potrait or taking shots at an odd angle too!

I'm having loads of fun using the colour filtering feature and the colour replacement feature.

I've fallen in love with the swivel screen LCD since my A80 days. Really useful to get different perspective on shots. When everyone else take photos at regular eye level, some more adventurous ones at waist level, I was taknig shots from ground level and overhead level.

why is the S2 using sd card, I would prefer compact flash as in S1

Rocklance said:
Some situations where MF can be useful (mind you, I am no expert):

- When your subject (which you want to focus on) is mixed with other things in the foreground or background. Spot focusing could work but often you have to use MF. Examples: bird on a tree amongst leaves, animals in a cage (where you want to blur the wire cage and focus on the animal beyond).

- Manual focus lets you set focus to infinity. (Some scene modes do that too but they have other bundled settings.) This is useful when you don't actually want to focus on any item but rather want to take in the whole scene. Examples: landscape, firework.

Having said that, not sure how useful MF is on the S2 though. Typically the center part of the view is enlarged to help you see better, but usually the resolution is too low to be really useful. (Infinity focusing should be easy to set though.)

MF is also useful in situations where you need to trigger the shutter as quickly as you can. To do this, you preset your focus distance. It's actually more useful than people often think - street candids, action. Any situation where it's snap and run. I even do this with my SLR.

Consumer digicams have come a long way in improving shutter/focus lag. Many current p&s's are excellent in this regard, but NOT having to focus does make squeezing off a shot even faster, and you'd find that even the fastest focusing camera might have problems with snap and run.

Hi Bros

I'm a NEWBIE to this website and is a proud owner of a 1 day old S2!!!

Anyway I got mine from Alan Photo for $840.00 includ GST plus the standard freebies from Canon.

Cheers

Alphas said:
why is the S2 using sd card, I would prefer compact flash as in S1

me too...especially S1 accept CF II cards.

there is also a nice short review of the S2 IS on www.mobile01.com also :cool:

Lmodel said:
Anyway I got mine from Alan Photo for $840.00 includ GST plus the standard freebies from Canon.

Hi, just wanna ask what's the latest price for S2 IS currently?

I am torn between the 3 megazoom models at the moment:

- S2 IS
- H1
- FZ5

I think the pic quality between the 3 models made too little difference for a novice shooter like me. They all seem to fit my purpose.

I have my baby coming soon, the normal P&S of 3X zoom won;t allow me to shoot my baby from afar without him/her realising, which i think will be more natural in capturing the moment.

S2 - i have started off with Canon digicam and it's alway my favourite, i like the user-friendly easy to use software, shooting features - the plus points to continue with S2 is that i am familiar with Canon features and the AA rechargable batteries & charger as i have few of them in use for my IXUS400 ;p But the SD card for S2 IS means that i have to invest in SD cards again :think:

H1 - use only 2 AA bateries but the review so far carry good comments on numbers of shooting allowed (around 200 plus pics with batteries fully charged). Pic quality seems to be the best among the 3. Downsize is, the pricey Memory Stick.

Fz5 - lithion battery. But i have to admit that the pricing seems to be an attraction if compare with S2 and H1.

Any other comments to add on espeically for S2? do you think it fits my purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.