Runner's high

kthumin

Dec 25, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-lighting, lighting, lighting and anything else ... hahha :D
No post-processing done on this pic... I tried to edit but still feel original one better.. ya..

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-well, u tell me, im still newbie...

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-Dont exactly know how to describe my emotion that time...
trying to bring out artistic expression of running, waited for some runner to pass by to take this picture...

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
- too bright perhaps? I think i set ISO too high.

DSC_0238_zpsc5694149.jpg

So your focus is on the railing?

This looks nothing more than a random snap shot to me with nothing to be expressed.
If you are "trying to bring out artistic expression of running, waited for some runner to pass by to take this picture..."
the runner should be in focus at least.

Have you checked what Runner's High means? How do you think this is reflected here? You have chosen the title, there must be a reason.
1) Light is bad, the grey sky works as huge diffuser, no shadows, all grey in grey with overexposed bright area in background. Wrong time, wait for sun.
2) That's YOUR job. Did you just press the shutter anyhow, later you try to make sense out of the pic? Do it the other way around: from the idea in your mind you work out how the picture should look like. Then you work out location, light, scene etc.
3) See point 2. Without concept it's just a snap. You could have waited till the runner is at 1/3 into the pic (hint: composition rules).
4) It's not ISO, it's bad light and your metering. (You can use ISO 100 or ISO 12800, without changing the metering mode your picture will always look this way in Auto, P or Av.) If you think it's too bright then either use EV (e.g. -0.5) or use post processing to darken the image.

lol. I must admit i anyhow named the title, agree with u on ur points though, thanks.

Have you checked what Runner's High means? How do you think this is reflected here? You have chosen the title, there must be a reason.
1) Light is bad, the grey sky works as huge diffuser, no shadows, all grey in grey with overexposed bright area in background. Wrong time, wait for sun.
2) That's YOUR job. Did you just press the shutter anyhow, later you try to make sense out of the pic? Do it the other way around: from the idea in your mind you work out how the picture should look like. Then you work out location, light, scene etc.
3) See point 2. Without concept it's just a snap. You could have waited till the runner is at 1/3 into the pic (hint: composition rules).
4) It's not ISO, it's bad light and your metering. (You can use ISO 100 or ISO 12800, without changing the metering mode your picture will always look this way in Auto, P or Av.) If you think it's too bright then either use EV (e.g. -0.5) or use post processing to darken the image.

Hello!

I think the image is a little bit overexposed... with the lighting then and your quest for emotive photography.. maybe you should have underexposed the image instead... in the newbies area there's a guide to how to control all these elements.. pasting some threads here but you'll need to read up more as well. :)

Aperture:
http://juliusngphotography.com/blog/?p=219

Depth of field:
Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More articles:
Articles and Guides

also, when you shoot with a shallow depth of field, usually you'd want to highlight the subject/something interesting in the picture.. and the feeling I get from this picture is that you're dreaming and staring at the railing and it just so happens that someone runs past.

pasting some images from google to illustrate how it looks like when it works:

running.jpg

RP-AMER-RIVER-JOGGER.jpg

Jogger on Memorial Drive by Charles River Basin, Cambridge

or even a photojournalistic style:

cole-irene-jogger.jpg

you can try panning the runner