ROM Photography For a frd

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
No lah... Actually I did all those service for my friend nia. :p

His ROM, I think forget abt it liaoz, since its over last year. He nearly even forgot to give me my ang pow for helping. But his wedding's coming soon I guess, shld be around next year. Wonder how much shld I charge.

Friend is friend, buddy is buddy. But when it comes to $$$, its best to spell it out.

My 'market' is limited to like 3 or 4 ppl only since I dun have a wide social circle like u guyz. Dun think it'll spoil market for u all? :eek:

sigh.... ok... you're forgiven. :sweat:

You may come out of your hiding now. :D

My sentiments are the market has changed so drastically...there are many photogs out there and some are offering real bottom prices. Too many ppl out in the market...a matter of demand and supply...I have tried, do not want to give in to a price war ...and now only doing it for friends..or recommedations....

:D

But honestly, from an ameuter's POV, this is what ppl think:

"Aiyah, pay until $800 or $1K for juz a photographer who do so simple things for wad? Chin chai find one cheap-cheap one, take good photos can liao. It's juz photos, what's so difficult abt snapping one?"

There u go. The availability of cheap P&S digital cameras nowadays makes many ppl look down on true photography (I used to be in this crowd till I discovered what's "true photography" and the skills needed). Ppl juz think, "Its only a photo. What's so tough about shooting it?"

U can show these ppl a bad photo and a good photo, a minor diff, say purple fringing which is not easily spotted. They'll say that there's no difference even after u'd pointed out the purple fringing.

Sad to say that there are ppl who are not as observant and can't be bothered. "Its only a photo" to them. Highly ironic that PM Goh wanted to push our country to be an Arts Hub a few years ago when ppl now are still generally unobservant. :(

Being observant is the first step in all arts form - photography included.

cool it guys... dun say spoil mkt.. say do favour.. hahaha!!!!

the few prospective wedding photogs i have met and seen their shots are SniperD and Ruey Loon...

i will deft look for them for my big day.... if it happen
LOL

jsbn said:
:D

But honestly, from an ameuter's POV, this is what ppl think:

"Aiyah, pay until $800 or $1K for juz a photographer who do so simple things for wad? Chin chai find one cheap-cheap one, take good photos can liao. It's juz photos, what's so difficult abt snapping one?"

There u go. The availability of cheap P&S digital cameras nowadays makes many ppl look down on true photography (I used to be in this crowd till I discovered what's "true photography" and the skills needed). Ppl juz think, "Its only a photo. What's so tough about shooting it?"

U can show these ppl a bad photo and a good photo, a minor diff, say purple fringing which is not easily spotted. They'll say that there's no difference even after u'd pointed out the purple fringing.

Sad to say that there are ppl who are not as observant and can't be bothered. "Its only a photo" to them. Highly ironic that PM Goh wanted to push our country to be an Arts Hub a few years ago when ppl now are still generally unobservant. :(

Being observant is the first step in all arts form - photography included.
dun be surprise. ive clients who hold their wedding in posh hotels like ritz, conrad and very niao towards photography too... tell me budget less than 800. -_-"
and ive some very nice client who hold their dinners at some chinese rest. accepting my 1K above package..
so what does this prove?
:lovegrin:

RuthBaby said:
dun be surprise. ive clients who hold their wedding in posh hotels like ritz, conrad and very niao towards photography too... tell me budget less than 800. -_-"
and ive some very nice client who hold their dinners at some chinese rest. accepting my 1K above package..
so what does this prove?
It shows that the 'nice client' truly knows how to appreciate the Art of Photography and those neow ones are juz wannabes, "Ai Pi, Ai Qi, Ai Dua Liap Nee" type... :eek:

Hahaha... :sweatsm: ok, give them a break. Maybe they overspent on the dinner liaoz?

BTW, got any kan tao for jobs or not? I damn hard up.... :cry:

RuthBaby said:
so what does this prove?

It's all about priority...different ppl have diff priority...problem is how ppl value their ROI (return on investment)....so back to your comments on the very early in the thread...pay peanuts get monkey! Only thing is..there are always customers who wanna pay peanuts and get dragon! :bigeyes:

Basically, as a commercial photographer, you can only deliver one standard. Your best.
If they not willing to pay, dont take the job.

Giving lower standards just because the client pays less will probably do more harm to your reputation.

never going to happen:
"eh, the photos of your wedding not so nice yah?"

"oh, that's because i didnt want to pay the full fee!"

more likely reply:
"ya lor. photographer dont know what he/she is doing?"

sorry guys, borrow the topic ;P

I'm not into doing photography service, however I used to help my friends to DIY/repair computer for them. And because of close friend, I just didn't charge them. After that, my "professionalism" getting spread out. And friend of friends start asking me to build/repair their PC, so I just charge S$50 to compensate my 2-3 hours spend excluding travel time/fee. Then end up, discover that some PCs are really in old & lousy hardware, some have 1500+ files infected by viruses. So, repairing such computer system really headache and long hour job. At once I spend 7 hours in a so-called client house at Tampines till 10.30pm and I'm staying at Jurong West... wah kaoz... taxi fare already took S$20 bucks, left S$30 buck for such 7 hours so-called do a favour! And the client also never top-up a bit since I spend so long hour there...sigh...

You see... such favor who so kind on earth can do?!

Sorry again...just looking through this thread..and the similarity people attitude in asking you a profession favor. ;p

ST_sg said:

I'm not into doing photography service, however I used to help my friends to DIY/repair computer for them. And because of close friend, I just didn't charge them. After that, my "professionalism" getting spread out. And friend of friends start asking me to build/repair their PC, so I just charge S$50 to compensate my 2-3 hours spend excluding travel time/fee. Then end up, discover that some PCs are really in old & lousy hardware, some have 1500+ files infected by viruses. So, repairing such computer system really headache and long hour job. At once I spend 7 hours in a so-called client house at Tampines till 10.30pm and I'm staying at Jurong West... wah kaoz... taxi fare already took S$20 bucks, left S$30 buck for such 7 hours so-called do a favour! And the client also never top-up a bit since I spend so long hour there...sigh...

Sorry again...just looking through this thread..and the similarity people attitude in asking you a profession favor. ;p

So must start having a flexible scheme loh. Depend on how 'hard' to fix/time spend, quote a price before working on it.

adding my 2c cos recently took up some weddings...............

feel that we should charge more, gives us allowance for bargaining clients............though i think usually after saying its too ex, they won't bargain...........or issit juz my experience?

rather charge more then i can throw in some more FREEBIES like some 8Rs, better album, spend more time on artworks for their post processing, arrange their photos properly and pass the final products to the couple presentably.........hey, it does help your reputation..............if i undercharge, then i will have a nagging feeling that since they pay me so little, why shld i do these for them.............in the end, when they get bad work, you get bad reputation and no furthur recommendations from them to their other friends............the freebies do help too.............who doesn't like free stuff.........=p

i have seen some websites charging $120 for ROM which is like after minusing the 3 rolls and album which would at cheapest cost them $70, leave them with $50 for 2 hour work?...........not inclusive of transportation??..........time??..........effort??.........webhosting cost??

well, no matter what, if you have taken the job, just do it well...........reputation is priceless..........=>

btw, seems that small wedding dinner gathering of 30< px at homes quite popular huh?...............my next 2 are such dinners..........now juz wondering how to charge them?..............as corporate events or wedding dinner??.....=p

ST_sg said:

This kind of crap I oso kena.

Dat time helped my friend DIY his PC. Din charge him cos he's a good buddy. Den his wife start to spread. Ok, if got more lobang to earn money never mind, but den his wife start to tell me, "Aiyah, she's my friend lah. Charge cheaper can?" and now her friend calls me up every now and den regarding her PC problems.

See what happens when u start doing favours for ppl, others start to take advantage.

The worst experience I had when I was in school. I was installing MS Office for a classmate, since his PC's rather slow, it took some time and so happens another classmate of us happened to be in his house too. He actually said, "Dunno dun try to act smart."

I'd have forgiven him if his knowledge is far superior than me, but he's one of those who ask me, "Where is the 'any' key?" when the command prompt, "Press any key to continue."

Since then I help ppl with their PCs depending on their attitude. If they screw me up with their attitude, I'll open a vulnerability in their OS, let all the worms go in and mess their system up. If they are nice, I'll play nice too.

My philosophy now. No more Mr Nice Guy.

hmm...since we're all on this topic...wanna ask...normally...for say a ROM or actual day shooting...does the clients ask for prints nice nice in albums...and a CDROM of the pics too??....wat's the common practise huh?...

ordinaryless said:
Darn...this is so funny! hahaha :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Suffering the indignity of being poked by some idiot who doesn't have a toot knowledge on computers and for a free repair job whilst being constantly reminded by another, "Eh, dun forget, I was the one who landed u this part-time job with my manager."

here's my take.

for immediate friends service can be free but i think it is reasonable that they pay the costs for materials. when they introduced their friends, then need to highlight that you need to charge their friends for market rate. quote market rate and discount from there if necessary. that way your friend also knows the value of the service provided to him/her. rate of discount depends on how close your friend is. of course you shouldn't feel obliged to do the job, just as your friend's friend is not obliged to engage your services.

that said, i have only done 1 full wedding and 1 rom shoot :p both times my friends were considerate enough to give me a red packet and a meal, as well as foot development and printing costs without my asking.

Looks like u're pretty lucky so far.

No such luck for me yet. I'm definitely losing money on every single PC repair or minor photography job I take on. :(

Hur... I do DIY PC repair/building for VERY close friends only, friends whom won't take me for granted and doesn't expect the impossible.

I've done my fair bit of charging for outside services too, for sister's friends, with charges of course, my mom however expects me to help her friends or relatives FOC. I just shake my head. I've helped one or two relatives and I got nothing but rebukes & statements like I never build it properly. The system was setup & running and shown to them, but they never appreciate and yet adding insult to injury after, which they insisted I never set it up properly and demand another visit.

Ridiculous.

Now I've drawn a line for my services, friends or relatives, I don't charge people whom I know who aren't caluclative with me. I've friends whom would come all the way to fetch me for movies and then send me home even if it's at 3am, and it's ultra out of the way for them. I live north, they live west/east.

For photography wise, friends or not.. I charge. Too expensive to upkeep the equipment :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.