Robin Wong quits OMDS as brand ambassador

It's good that Robin discover and pointed out the limitations of the OM-1. But Robin says that his objective is to highlight to OM Systems so that this limitations can be addressed in future updates. Actually I am sure other ambassadors and OM-1 users have probably realized that at times, the OM-1 did not managed to focus in lower light situations, but as a photographer who don't use the SLR as a point and shoot and depend on it to work automatically on every situation, it is so easy to get around this issue. Any experienced photographer actually would not point a single focal point to a plain area but would just point at some where near with contrast, hold the shutter and refocus. It is not that the ambassadors are trying to cover up or anything like that but out of habit, I did the same with the Sony A7 IV or my previous Canon 5D mk2 without waiting to see the camera would focus on a plain area. This has been a habit so I actually did not realize this limitation until Robin points it out.

And when I take night landscape with my OM-1 mounted on a tripod, it is even easier to solve. Just use the thumb joystick and put the focal point somewhere with contrasts eg. Rocks, trees etc. Yes, that works during blue hours or even darker situations! Tested it on several trips already. For my lenses with manual clutch, i usually shift to manual focus after the first test shot.

I honestly find it strange that Robin take product shots in dim lights and focus on a plain area of the product instead on the edge. And use single focal point on plain building at night. It is so easy just to flip it to a small focal area setting with 9 focal points. I don't use the OM-1 the way Robin uses it during his SAF or CAF tests. But I went to try out those settings and those limitations are quite true. I hope he is just using it as an illustration to show the limitations.

Otherwise, No wonder Robin say people insult him in his youtube channel, saying he do not know how to use a camera LOL

Again, @ricohflex if you are trying to bash the OM-1 on this minor issue, it shows that you have blinded yourself to the strengths of OM-1, which even Robin Wong has to acknowledge.

Last edited:

I don’t think my hit rate is so good with Em-5iii or EM1x. Om-1 AF tracking on birds is really good. Just point , follow and press shutter. Any mistake is the photographer’s mistake for this case.