Robin Wong quits OMDS as brand ambassador

Ricohflex as usual you have misinterpreted Robin Wong's video to imply m43 is s dead, it's not. If it is dead (m43) , is like saying JIP , new owner of OMDS /Olympus has no business acumen. The problem with photography or camera enthusiasts, they do not see the big picture. Consumers buy cameras when they can afford it but times have changed because of global political upheavals. The issue is oil, Japan as an industrial country needs oil for industry. Despite the hype of electric cars and renewable energy ,these cannot replace oil. There are tensions in the middle east where oil comes from to most Asian countries like Japan, Korea and China not to mention sg. Sort of LL as that is the reality. So in essence that is why cameras are getting expensive because of supply chain bottlenecks beyond their control. Watch the linked video.

Btw @8.30 m43 is still better than 1inch sensor and Robin is happy with his camera system.

Look at the big picture, don't be a sua koo, country bumpkin or unsophisticated human.

If Robin Wong hopes to be ambassador or visionary for another brand, he has to cut this link to the DEAD brand Olympus.
Robin Wong latest video 6 January 2023 is about a compact LX10.

It is a change from him constantly talking about past Olympus (DEAD brand) products.
Which is good for Robin Wong.
It makes sense.

Olympus has stopped making cameras.
So if a YouTuber continues to upload videos about past Olympus cameras 1 year or 3 years or 10 years from today.
It will become a historical channel or he will have a diminishing YouTube audience.

Small, light, cheap are selling points.
Actually Olympus MFT is not cheap. If one thinks about building a system in the long term. Some lenses are expensive.
Unless there is a fire sale once OMDS decides to finally throw in the towel or Panasonic decides to kill the MFT range of products.

What the competition can offer, has killed the Olympus MFT market share.
Sony has A7c (Full Frame) and the range of 6600, 6500, etc... APS-C bodies.
Nikon has Z6 (Full Frame) and Z50, Z30 (APS-C).

Credit: https://digital-photography-school.com

Sensor-Size-Chart-rev2.jpg

Robin Wong can choose to try to get access to OMDS products (I am sure he can if he wants as my friend just gotten a OM-1 in Malaysia)
or he can continue to review other products he felt will appeal to his audience. I am sure he analyze the viewership like most youtubbers.

Olympus is not dead, but is taken over by JIP. There is actually more interest in OMDS products than I thought as I already met a few who went all the way to malaysia to get the OM-1. And 1 is a Sony User and other one is a Nikon user. Both of them likes the M43 2x Focal Multiplier for long teles. No they are not changing over, just that they prefer to use the OM-1 for shooting birds and other wildlife. OM-1 does have a niche market.

If you think that the Sony 7c or 6600 is going to kill M43, I think you are totally not aware of M43 strengths.
Try pairing the Sony 7c with a lenses (with / without TC) to get 600mm focal length at F5.6 or 1200mm @ F8 and tell me the total cost and weight. Then you will know what I mean :)

If Robin Wong hopes to be ambassador or visionary for another brand, he has to cut this link to the DEAD brand Olympus.

It is a change from him constantly talking about past Olympus (DEAD brand) products.
It makes sense.

So if a YouTuber continues to upload videos about past Olympus cameras 1 year or 3 years or 10 years from today.
It will become a historical channel or he will have a diminishing YouTube audience.

Actually Olympus MFT is not cheap. If one thinks about building a system in the long term. Some lenses are expensive.
Unless there is a fire sale once OMDS decides to finally throw in the towel or Panasonic decides to kill the MFT range of products.

Recently Om-1 price has “soften’. I have 2 friends (upgrade from EM5iii) and myself has purchase each a OM1 after waiting 11 months since it‘ s launch. In the M43 community we know OM-1 has the speed and strength to match the highest-end models of the other brands at 1/3 of the price.

Lens price are ok if you know where to buy. I will not elaborate more.

Last edited:
I am so tempted to upgrade my EM5iii to a OM-1 too.
It is a perfect setup for long trekking trips
1) OM-1 - 599g (with built in ND for waterfalls & flowing rivers)
2) Pana Leica 12-60 F2.8-4 (24-120 range) 320g (my super light walk around lens)
3) OM 40-150 F4 (80-300 focal range 382g (for wildlife I meet during my treks)

Just waiting for my trekking group to be active again :cool:
before I upgrade

Recently Om-1 price has “soften’. I have 2 friends (upgrade from EM5iii) and myself has purchase each a OM1 after waiting 11 months since it‘ s launch. In the M43 community we know OM-1 has the speed and strength to match the highest-end models of the other brands at 1/3 of the price.

Lens price are ok if you know where to buy. I will not elaborate more.

The difference between a phone and a camera. A phone is a computer with a camera module but a camera is well...a camera.
If you want better images then you know what to get!

Posted by Robin Wong 13 hours ago on 11 Jan 2023. Good.
In this video he is NOT talking about Olympus MFT as a main topic. That was a DEAD camera brand.
He should let Olympus MFT camera die peacefully without constantly dredging up the DEAD body and making yet another video on it.

For his own good, it is time to let it go and don't cling on.
There are many other "ambassadors" & "visionaries" in USA and Europe employed as paid salesmen to sing the praises of OMDS/past Olympus products.
There is no need for Robin Wong to sing the same song. In fact they REJECT him blatantly and his Exit was ignominious.

It is true that Ricoh GR III has AF issues. But it has a good lens.

Yes, Robin has to or already move on. OM system targetted audience is no longer streets or event shooters.

I am okay with Robin moving on.....

I just find it weird that he is reviewing rather old stuff..........
If I am not wrong the Ricoh GRiii is not in production anymore.
If No one is looking for it, so no one will want to watch that video (I won't)
At least review some new stuff like the DJI RS3 gimbal for Mirrorless cameras
or the Panasonic S5 ii.

Posted by Robin Wong 13 hours ago on 11 Jan 2023. Good.
In this video he is NOT talking about Olympus MFT as a main topic. That was a DEAD camera brand.
He should let Olympus MFT camera die peacefully without constantly dredging up the DEAD body and making yet another video on it.

For his own good, it is time to let it go and don't cling on.
There are many other "ambassadors" & "visionaries" in USA and Europe employed as paid salesmen to sing the praises of OMDS/past Olympus products.
There is no need for Robin Wong to sing the same song. In fact they REJECT him blatantly and his Exit was ignominious.

It is true that Ricoh GR III has AF issues. But it has a good lens.

He only focuses on M'sia street photography and had admitted he's not into flash photography. That already discounted him a big chunk as a brand ambassador or visionary.
I've nothing against Robin personally but much prefer Rob Trek's videos. They feel less contrived and more technical which I much prefer.

It makes sense.

I see m43 as the perfect holiday camera format as you'll want both your subject and the background in focus.

Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion but somethings are best kept to oneself for what good does it do for the one giving the opinion if it is not sought or asked for? As for flash photography, Robin has decided his shoots can make do with available/existing light and he had expressed the impracticality of using strobes for events as it's happening fast and there is no time to set up such flash lighting. But there will be situations where available light is poor or non existent and shooting in the shade will benefit from fill light either from built-in flash on camera or external flash but on em1 series cameras being pro it is not equipped with on board flash and hence Robin shoot as best he can. Of course every photographer should learn to use artificial lighting to augment available light. Just look at the photo galleries here except for studio or macro there is hardly any fill lighting used. With good editing techniques Robin has been able to bring out the pop in his photos.

Being a Malaysian why should he not showcase Malaysian street photography as like in sg it's a concrete city, sure there are greenery here but how many want to share space with the heat, humidity, insects to appreciate nature's beauty? Also he does not do much indoor weddings or dinners and it will be distracting to pop flash at critical moments where it matters and not be a nuisance to the attendees or people who hired him. To each his own.

He only focuses on M'sia street photography and had admitted he's not into flash photography. That already discounted him a big chunk as a brand ambassador or visionary.
I've nothing against Robin personally but much prefer Rob Trek's videos. They feel less contrived and more technical which I much prefer.

Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion but somethings are best kept to oneself for what good does it do for the one giving the opinion if it is not sought or asked for? As for flash photography, Robin has decided his shoots can make do with available/existing light and he had expressed the impracticality of using strobes for events as it's happening fast and there is no time to set up such flash lighting. But there will be situations where available light is poor or non existent and shooting in the shade will benefit from fill light either from built-in flash on camera or external flash but on em1 series cameras being pro it is not equipped with on board flash and hence Robin shoot as best he can. Of course every photographer should learn to use artificial lighting to augment available light. Just look at the photo galleries here except for studio or macro there is hardly any fill lighting used. With good editing techniques Robin has been able to bring out the pop in his photos.

Being a Malaysian why should he not showcase Malaysian street photography as like in sg it's a concrete city, sure there are greenery here but how many want to share space with the heat, humidity, insects to appreciate nature's beauty? Also he does not do much indoor weddings or dinners and it will be distracting to pop flash at critical moments where it matters and not be a nuisance to the attendees or people who hired him. To each his own.
So I cannot comment on him izzit ? Why? Are you related to him? If I want to opine on him what the fug can you do?

So I cannot comment on him izzit ? Why? Are you related to him? If I want to opine on him what the fug can you do?

I already gave my reasons but you cannot comprehend. Enough said. You are pissed and other people are not? Be real , be considerate. Not commensurate with being a senior member.
And hello this is my thread, go start your own?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Blu-By-U
I previously enjoyed Robins review quite a bit although it is obvious that he stressed a lot on all the going pts of Olympus products as the ambassador. For years, he did portray that he is a firm believer of Olympus and M43.

However, when Olympus no longer engage him after the change of ownership, Robin starts making videos of "Why I quite ...." and "Why I would not buy the OM-1", "Why Olympus Failed" etc even though he quality himself at the beginning of each video, it actually does not put him in good light. If he is really a firm believer, I felt he should continue his usual videos by reviewing Olympus products. He can do it less frequently if he is no longer paid by Olympus, but at least he can continue to keep and grow his viewers rather than confusing them.

After he came out those videos which I felt it is no longer relevant to me as an Olympus user looking for opinions on which Olympus product to get or avoid, I started looking at other reviewers videos like Rob Trek, Jimmy, Peter Forsgard etc. It would be quite difficult for Robin to build his viewership on another brand as it takes time. And worse still, I felt his channel now jumps all over the shop without a theme.

And worse still, I felt his channel now jumps all over the shop without a theme.

@Pitachu, surely this allegation is incorrect as any normal Youtuber will tell you. To be always featured or show one's video on YouTube algorithm one has to post twice a week. Plus YouTubers will ask viewers to like, comment whether you like or dislike the video as it indicate to the algorithm there is interest for that video.

I don't think as Olympus ambassador Robin had received payment at all , if it was so he would be circumspect to protect his stream of income. The only benefit is he would receive advanced info of new products and loans to test and review or perhaps some discount on purchases.

As he is no longer an ambassador he is free to give his opinion on Olympus and not be beholden to them. As a smart Youtuber it pays to be consistent and Robin has done that. Since he can only afford to buy or loan old camera models out of his own pocket but neverthess he showcase the road less taken or troddened to give a fresh insight. There are YouTubers who specifically review old tech for that matter. Anyway Robin as always shown his camera or shutter therapy of street photography whether in West or East Malaysia where his hometown is.

A disclaimer..haha, I do not know or have met Robin personally but feel he is unfairly judged by people but that is to be expected, such is human nature.

Last edited:
Some one gave Robin an OM-1.
Is that a good thing?
Depends on how one interprets.

Good that he got it free.
Sad that he is now reduced to this situation.

Also not a good thing if he cannot break the mental chains that imprison him in the MFT mindset jail.

The guy who gaves it to him is looking forward to Robin's sharing on the OM-1, which means he got another one.
It also make me and probably a lot of OM-1 users and potential OM-1 users look out for Robin's videos again!

@ricohflex I have never mentioned anything about you involved in wildlife photography with long telephotos. Go and join a Olympus User group in Facebook where tons of users are posting their wild life photos, especially with the much sought after 150-400mm lenses and see how excited they were. Ask them if they felt being in a jail.

@ricohflex Or go and join other Olympus groups shooting Macro. Do you know how some of them were so excited when then new 90mm Macro is bring released. They are even building custom reflectors for it already. Ask them if they felt they are felt they are in a Jail.

@ricohflex you probably have only been using the Olympus with a std kit lenses with about 24mm to 70mm equivalent and never saw the benefits of M43 that left you bitching on it for years!!!!! Yes, if you restrict yourself to a 24mm to 70mm lenses, Full Frame may probably serve you better. I had the fortune of using my Son's sony A7 IV for 2 months with a 24-105 and was quite happy with it until I want to explore shooting teles of 200mm or more. The lenses are too big for me to carry on long hiking trips and in the end I upgraded my EM5 mk 3 to the OM-1.

Now that the OM-1 is using stacked sensors and noise reduction software have advanced so much with AI, I find that actually there is little difference shooting with M43 or Full Frame. The only difference is with the Sony I can crop more but with M43, I usually have a wider zoom range so I would have cropped with my telephoto lenses during shooting already.

Last edited:
See

Robin finds the lens underwhelming. I agree. 18 elements for a fixed lens? How rotten is that? And only F3.5. Way over-priced. Mediocre image quality.
Why is OMDS selling junk? Oh, they need money.

As expected the "ambassadors" sing praises of it. They have to. Or else maybe they lose their ambassadorship.
A friend asked me today whether he should buy it. Of course I told him not to buy.

@ricohflex Have you shot Macro? Have you shot with a 120mm Macro? If you have, you should know that after a while, a 1x at 120mm is not enough for small creatures. There are very few 180mm Macros even among FF cameras, I remember only Canon and SIgma have it, and both are 1x Macro Lenses.
And these lenses are like 1Kg or more, not easy to use them to go thru bushes and nail those insects!

The new OM 90mm is a 180mm 2x Macro!!!! Plus you can attach a 1.4 or 2x Converter to it.
Not enough light????? What do you do when you have not enough light for other lenses?
Simply use a flash... or a tripod dude.....

Of course, we don't except the same level of sharpness as the Olympus 60mm Macro, but it is definitely much better than Raynox to it.
If you have been Macro, you know what I mean, it is quite challenging to focus.

Plus the OM90mm now has built in IS.

Also, bear in mind that Robin already say he don't have the lenses to test it out, he is just copying some reviewers comments.
You don't have to keep rattering Ambassadors only saying good things about the OM 90mm Macro.

Go and google "OM System 90mm images and judge for yourself the Image Quality to see if they are good or acceptable.

See

Robin finds the lens underwhelming. I agree. 18 elements for a fixed lens? How rotten is that? And only F3.5. Way over-priced. Mediocre image quality.
Why is OMDS selling junk? Oh, they need money.

As expected the "ambassadors" sing praises of it. They have to. Or else maybe they lose their ambassadorship.
A friend asked me today whether he should buy it. Of course I told him not to buy.