Robin Wong quits OMDS as brand ambassador

Attaching the MC-20 make the OM 90mm Macro F3.5 into a 35mm equivalent 360mm Macro @F7 (4x magnificaton)
OK. You go and find another brand of lens of similar focal length, magnification,size and weight and compare.
Results may be worse!!!!!

They say, not I say.

A graph reached at 180 mm, a focal length available after attaching the Olympus MC-20 teleconverter.

Credit: lenstip.com

Now that Robin is not an "ambassador" he say the things mentioned in the following video. No more grovelling over-the-top flattery that some "ambassadors" do.
OMDS OM-1 is an interim output soon after the end of Olympus Camera Division.
It is not a ground breaking product. Even with so many obvious flaws, it was hurriedly pushed out to market.

Not sure if there will be an OMDS OM-1 Mk2.
The OMDS company may be wound up before that could happen, perhaps due to massive financial losses.

Some of the ridiculous statements you come across. Some one said this. (not Robin)
This one is extremely obsequious.
"The Best Macro Lens Ever Made - OM SYSTEM 90mm F3.5 Macro IS Pro"

Carl Zeiss was founded on 17 November 1846. Carl Zeiss is big-time in optical aspect of ASML EUV machines.
Leica was founded in 1869. Both companies are still around and have made macro lenses since a very long time ago.
There are also Schneider-Kreuznach & Rodenstock.

OMDS was founded 9 October 2020.
Now is 8 March 2023. Less than 3 years after the company was founded.
How silly is the meaningless flattery.

Last edited:
I don't hear any of the comments below from Robin, are the comments from you....
but I do agree that there are several areas that can be improved.
Robin probably realized that looking out for bad points are what viewers are looking for, and I personally like to
listen to all the bad points to see if I can live with them.
And I do agree with Robin that the OM-1 also has a number of much desired features.

OMDS closing down...... RIcohflex has been saying that for almost 2 years already.
I only see OMDS getting stronger.

Anyway, you can google, OMDS has just opened some new facilities in Japan.

Now that Robin is not an "ambassador" he say the things mentioned in the following video. No more grovelling over-the-top flattery that some "ambassadors" do.
It is not a ground breaking product. Even with so many obvious flaws, it was hurriedly pushed out to market.

The OMDS company may be wound up before that could happen, perhaps due to massive financial losses.

This has nothing to do with Carl Zeiss or Leica being first. Why did you add that in?

It is coming from the view that there are no other (35mm equipment, 180mm Macro lenses @F3.5) with 2:1 magnification with IS.

Some of the ridiculous statements you come across. Some one said this. (not Robin)
This one is extremely obsequious.
"The Best Macro Lens Ever Made - OM SYSTEM 90mm F3.5 Macro IS Pro"

Carl Zeiss was founded on 17 November 1846. Carl Zeiss is big-time in optical aspect of ASML EUV machines.
Leica was founded in 1869. Both companies are still around and have made macro lenses since a very long time ago.

Ricohflex, Robin Wong as Youtuber understandably use reverse psychology tactics to get interest for clicks and viewership by saying the opposite then the good.

Again ricohflex you have a sense of warped history. No doubt Carl Zeiss and Leica was founded in the 1800s , if you had researched the history of optics in Japan which is closely tied to Japanese military optics at the time around world war 1. According to this pdf Konica was founded in 1837 and a list of well known camera companies.
Olympus was established in 1919. :D

Screenshot_2023-03-09-05-44-54-758-edit_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Last edited:
Robin Wong is not twisting anything. His old EM5iii or the Em1iii (he gave away to his friend) are good enough for his type of work. He doesn’t shoot sport or wildlife so he will not be “wowed” by the new AF system. And if he is using ISO 200-6400 , he will not see any differences because the old 20MP sensor is already good enough.. Other issue like the touch screen , I never thought about it until i saw him mentioning.

Last edited:
I watched Robin Wong Video again on the Slower AF part as I was not convinced that it is slower because I had the EM5 iii and the OM-1 is so much faster for my Landscape, Birding and Street Photos shots I used it for so far.

It is strange that for the video, Robin use the spot focus on a plain white background.
Not sure it is intentional or not, but then even my Sony A7 IV don't focus well on plan backgrounds.

Like JW said, Robin could be just trying to create more viewership for his videos, but all these will slowly make him less credible!!!

@Pitachu, Robin already said he does not shoot wildlife ( only static bird and aninals at the zoo).
He also said he is not a videographer so take his comments with a pinch of salt.
You have real world experience using your cameras. His comment about autofocus test using a plain white background is just nonsense. Even a top of the line dslr or mirrorless will have difficulty achieving focus lock without some contrast area to make a calculation on. So it boggles the mind for an experienced photographer like Robin granted his work normally involves brightly lit scenes or even in dim concert scene where there is powerful spotlight lighting the scene. You know what your cameras can do.

I watched Robin Wong Video again on the Slower AF part as I was not convinced that it is slower because I had the EM5 iii and the OM-1 is so much faster for my Landscape, Birding and Street Photos shots I used it for so far. Fyi spot focus is for precision focus in relatively bright scene. A more appropriate focus setting would be group/ zone focus for better focus acquisition lock.

It is strange that for the video, Robin use the spot focus on a plain white background.
Not sure it is intentional or not, but then even my Sony A7 IV don't focus well on plan backgrounds.

Like JW said, Robin could be just trying to create more viewership for his videos, but all these will slowly make him less credible!!!

Robin did a follow up to answer a flurry of angry responses from die-hard fans of OMDS OM-1. It confirms my opinion.
If I am a client paying money to a professional photographer to cover an event or an important product photo shoot.
And he turns up with an OMDS OM-1, I will tell him to get out.

OMDS rushed this half-baked product to market because it was under pressure to show that OMDS is still alive after the previous Olympus Camera Division was killed. The camera buying public was waiting to see what transpires.

Robin revelations about this product is appreciated. This kind of unbiased evaluation you will never get from "ambassadors".

Robin did not say "OMDS rushed this half-baked product to market because it was under pressure to show that OMDS is still alive after the previous Olympus Camera Division was killed. The camera buying public was waiting to see what transpires."
That was said by @ricohflex

To be fair, Canon has tons of issue with the R8 eg. Overheating etc and Sony has issues with its A7 IV when it was released too (me and quite a few other users had sudden shut downs).

I am just curious why he use the joystick to select autofocus points with the smallest focal point for events and product shots.
For myself, I use a larger focal point so that the camera can find a point it can focus within that area for events
and for product shoots, I use manual focus with focus peaking, so that I can see all those areas in focus highlighted in red.

I joined the local OM Systems events quite often and so far among the 20 users or so, I think there is only 1 user who is not too happy with it, but yet he brought me to the shop to buy my OM-1. The rest of the OM-1 are all singing praises, and they don't have to. Quite a few of them actually have other cameras like Sony or Canon! It's just different tools for different applications. eg. For Portraits, I prefer to use my Sony. I prefer to use my OM-1 for the rest like landscape, wildlife and macro. It's a personal preference but you can google and see why there are others prefer it too.

Robin did a follow up to answer a flurry of angry responses from die-hard fans of OMDS OM-1. It confirms my opinion.
If I am a client paying money to a professional photographer to cover an event or an important product photo shoot.
And he turns up with an OMDS OM-1, I will tell him to get out.

OMDS rushed this half-baked product to market because it was under pressure to show that OMDS is still alive after the previous Olympus Camera Division was killed. The camera buying public was waiting to see what transpires.

Robin revelations about this product is appreciated. This kind of unbiased evaluation you will never get from "ambassadors".

I stand behind Robin on his observation that OM1 single point autofocus is slower than em1 MK3. If you notice where the square is placed on for the wall and figurine, the square is over a plain single colour but the em1 MK3 gets the focus. It is indeed surprising that the design engineers did not notice the difference. My advice for OM1 users is to place single autofocus point on 2 different contrast edges and it will acquire focus or use group/ zone autofocus and in most cases will acquire focus. I guess the older MK3 sensor workings had been worked out since MK1 but this OM1 bsi has caught the engineers unawares. I guess they will have to rewrite the focus acquisition algorithm somehow to match mk3 in order to placate om1 owners, so wait for next firmware update.:D Hope they see Robin's video. Seriously I doubt wildlife photographers use single one shot but rather tracking zone focus to capture their bird or animal. :cool:

IMG_20230310_001425.jpg
IMG_20230310_001451.jpg

I stand behind Robin on his observation that OM1 single point autofocus is slower than em1 MK3. If you notice where the square is placed on for the wall and figurine, the square is over a plain single colour but the em1 MK3 gets the focus. It is indeed surprising that the design engineers did not notice the difference. My advice for OM1 users is to place single autofocus point on 2 different contrast edges and it will acquire focus or use group/ zone autofocus and in most cases will acquire focus. I guess the older MK3 sensor workings had been worked out since MK1 but this OM1 bsi has caught the engineers unawares. I guess they will have to rewrite the focus acquisition algorithm somehow to match mk3 in order to placate om1 owners, so wait for next firmware update.:D Hope they see Robin's video. Seriously I doubt wildlife photographers use single one shot but rather tracking zone focus to capture their bird or animal. :cool:

View attachment 108909View attachment 108908
As the Polish OM-Digital Solution ambassador pointed out, the Single Pont SA-F uses contrast only, while the CA-F uses both Phase and Contrast the hit rates are a lot better using CA-F. I am a single point user and I have seen significant improvement in both speed and accuracy using CA-F on a single point.

Last edited:
Ricohflex would have said that it does not change the fact that OM1 is slower than em1 MK3 using single point one shot autofocus and you have to cull the extra photos during editing because of caf. Granted it"s a workaround to the problem . And like Robin said in his video that he does not care if you try to justify and feel good about buying om1. :p

As the Polish OM-Digital Solution ambassador pointed out, the Single Pont SA-F uses contrast only, while the CA-F uses both Phase and Contrast the hit rates are a lot better using CA-F. I am a single point user and I have seen significant improvement in both speed and accuracy using CA-F on a single point.

View attachment 108909View attachment 108908

After 3 months of using OM-1, haven;t use/test the S-AF until Robin Wong video..LOL. Been using CAF or CAF+ Tracking..Good that he highlighted the issue.

I test it will the panny 35-100 f2.8, and found the SAF was instant probably because i focus on high contrast items inside my room. I trust his testing method / concerns and appreciate his findings though.

But the tone in his video when pointing out the flaws..I guess some Oly users are not very comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Rob Trek has done a good test to verify what Robin has discovered and probably explained why most of us (including Rob Trek himself) why we did not notice the OM-1 is slower in S-AF mode, as most of us probably shoot under sufficient lighting conditions. In fact, with sufficient light, the OM-1 actually focus better than the EM5 :)

A video by Robin proving C-AF in low light in OM-1 is a failure.

If it is so easily proved, then why NONE of the "ambassadors" discovered the problem?
Looks like they are the marketing tools for OMDS, to encourage people on YouTube to buy the OM-1.

OMDS is making the same error as the now-dead Olympus Camera Division.
Never mind if the Olympus or OMDS product is lousy. Just rush it out to the market.
Our "ambassadors" will gloss over the obvious defects in their YouTube reviews and influence people to buy it,

The crux is what the competition Sony, Fuji, Nikon, Canon can offer.
Do not even think of trying to compare OMDS OM-1 AF capability with Sony or Canon.
OMDS is several grades below. Not in the same class at all.

Let's do this!!! I think Robin should not be too quick to jump the gun in this case. Em1 mk 3 implementation of S - AF + single point AF is different from OM 1 as can be seen in the screen shot. Instead of 1 square OM1 users a box of 9 squares in CAF. What this means is focus acquisition will default to center or the surrounding points or the outer ones. That said, single AF is contrast detect whereas CAF is phase detect. In poor contrast scenes even phase detect will not work either. Yes Rob Trek confirmed that OM1 does autofocus poorly in low light but when there is light it will outperform em1 MK3. So a firmware update is needed to fix the issue.

IMG_20230317_022815.jpg

Further more Robin tried using other group focus boxes like bigger box and cross but this is a misapplication as it depends on what shapes are bounded or in the box if there are 2 or more targets than algorithm will pick what is programmed not necessary what you intend.

This video show the workings of the various focus boxes. @ 1:30 min. ( Robin is not a wildlife photographer. ) :p

He is not an OMDS ambassador.

A video by Robin proving C-AF in low light in OM-1 is a failure.

If it is so easily proved, then why NONE of the "ambassadors" discovered the problem?
Looks like they are the marketing tools for OMDS, to encourage people on YouTube to buy the OM-1.

OMDS is making the same error as the now-dead Olympus Camera Division.
Never mind if the Olympus or

OMDS product is lousy. Just rush it out to the market.
Our "ambassadors" will gloss over the obvious defects in their YouTube reviews and influence people to buy it,

The crux is what the competition Sony, Fuji, Nikon, Canon can offer.
Do not even think of trying to compare OMDS OM-1 AF capability with Sony or Canon.
OMDS is several grades below. Not in the same class at all.

Last edited:
OM 1 C - AF low light tests , a follow up from single -AF by Rob Trek.