Review: Panasonic GF2

Hi may I know how much u had bought GF2 with 14-45mm together?hear from u soon,thanks.If u dont want to reveal the price, can email me redgreen22@gmail.com or sms me 92283630.Thanks so much

Last edited:
Hi may I know how much u had bought GF2 with 14-45mm together?hear from u soon,thanks.If u dont want to reveal the price, can email me redgreen22@gmail.com or sms me 92283630.Thanks so much

Its not released yet....... i hear that the GF2 will be on sale starting early 2011

I have no idea what the price is too....as this is a test unit I was asked to play around with and do a write up on.

I saw some sellers on ebay with good ratings (from HK selling) selling the GF2 with 14 2.5 kit at about $1000 sgd converted, shipping included. seems to be a good deal!

Thanks for the real world review. Will there be an EVF for it?

yes there is an Electronic Viewfinder for this..... if u look at the Pg1 first few images of the back of the cam..... there is a little slot below the hotshoe where the viewfinder plugs in electronically while at the same time slotting into the hotshoe

will try to post a pic of the evf later tonight ...... cute little thing

a few more pics to share....

a_smiler.jpg

a_starer.jpg

aa_old_mao.jpg

aa_bracelets.jpg

Last edited:
the images below show how the GF2 handles drabby conditions and grays...

aa_rocks_wall.jpg

aa_roofs.jpg

aa_rotting_doors.jpg

aa_motocycles.jpg

Last edited:
The GF2 next to the LX5 is astonishingly similarly-sized (of course with a kit zoom attached, the LX5 pulls ahead.... but with a 20/1.7 prime on the GF2, its a mighty small unit)

GF2 above .... LX5 below.... thats ALOT of additional firepower for something only slightly larger than the LX5
gf2_vs_lx5.jpg

ok here is what the EVF looks like...
evf.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like Panasonic really stepped up and improved their color rendition. Looks like I might seriously consider them as a replacement for my GF1 next year.

nice review! thanks for the detailed writeup. but for an existing GF1 user, do you think it is a justifiable upgrade? :)

am trying to decide between this and the G2.

ha ha sorry, I have not had any serious play-time with the GF1 so cant comment

other forums will have the GF1 vs GF2 comparison disussions

with the GF2......... just remember to turn the camera OFF when u put it into your camera bag :)

Last edited:
ok here is what the EVF looks like...

I was actually looking for a newly improved EVF2 that is backward compatible with GF1 but sadly, i don't think that will be the case...

I just got my GF2.

In a nutshell, it’s sublime. I thought the GF1 was a good compromise between size and Image quality, but the GF2 is a new beast altogether. It’s about the same size as my girlfriend’s Samsung EX1, but thicker because of the 14mm.

Touchscreen controls.
It does take some getting used too. My first few tries using it was rather confusing because I din know where all the stuff like changing AF points were. But once you get used to it some of the touchscreen implementation is pretty useful actually. For example changing auto focus points is well implemented. If you’ve used an iPhone with the “tap to focus” function, well the GF2 is ALMOST like that. And I can tell you that is mighty useful.

The screen is a pressure screen though, not a capacitive screen like iPhones. You have to put a little pressure for it to detect input.

Also, if it interests you, the popup flash can be ‘bounced’ but elevating it with your finger - a la E-PL1 style.

Image Quality -
I’m still trying to get the RAW files processed now, but my initial impressions are that the 14mm is not quite as sharp as the superb 20mm. It’s still a great lens though, veryvery light and fits the compact form factor of the GF2 perfectly.

Another thing I notice was that the AWB is much improved over the GF1. I don’t have my GF1 already, but previously difficult scenes were handled very well by the GF2 where the GF1 needed manual correction.

I also noted that the color rendition is a tad more saturated than the paler output of the GF1.

Will post some pics once I find a way to process my Raw files.

Last edited:
nice summary, if you could tell us how the colors of the GF2 compares to users used to the canon slr colors for portraits that wld be great :) one thing i din really like out my previous panasonics (LX1, 2, 3, GF1) was that the colors were too much on the cool side for people.

Here are some images taken with the GF2 + 14mm f2.5 lens. Shot in Raw, processed with default ACR settings, no additional editing, WB or color corrections.

P1000038.jpg

P1000046.jpg

P1000048.jpg

Good point Ricleo, i’ll see if I can shoot a comparison between the GF2 and my Canon 7D both with a similar focal length.

Last edited:
Just got mine too.

Fitted it with a 60 years old lens, no problem for this camera.

1024.jpg

1024.jpg

Those are some MEAN tubes man! :cool:

Having some fun hecking the camera ;p, have to live with manual focusing and without stabilizer, certainly not ideal for low light and sporty subjects.:)

Shot with a tripod.

5394180827_64017bd285_b.jpg