Review - Panasonic G2 & G10 Side by side

Testing out bokeh at various selected f-stops (sorry did not take a sample pic at EVERY f-stop..... just too many pics involved)

Shot at widest focal length of 14mm

about 1m distance between the tobacco tin can and the Ronson yellow lighter fluid can in background

f3.5
f3_5.jpg

f4.5
f45.jpg

f5.6
f5_6.jpg

f8
f81.jpg

f9
f91.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ortega and ed9119 for starting this co-review.

30 Aug 2010 Review Diary Start
Just add on to the review scope, I will be making some comparison notes to my experience with my panny GF1 and the oly E-PL1 that I reviewed some time back.

31 Aug 2010 Update
1st impressions (note that the G10 provided is running on firmware v0.3, will need to flash it to v1)
1. the G10 is only slightly larger than the GF1 and E-PL1
2. the G10 feels slightly lighter than the GF1
3. build quality is similar, but GF1 has slightly more trims, shutter feel of the GF1 is also better.
4. X-sync is 1/160, like the GF1
5. the EVF magnification is quite low, a step back from the G1's very nice EVF. also, the lack of the eye sensor to switch between the LCD and EVF makes the EVF even less enticing to use. i'll probably only use the EVF in really bright situations
6. MF assist (auto magnification) with the panny 14-42 does not work (firmware issue?)
7. its not able to AF with the m.zuiko 9-18. (firmware issue?)
8. the intelligent Auto (iA) mode has a dedicated button, i really think this button would serve a better purpose as a direct REC function.
9. i really think the Playback button and LVF/LCD buttons should switch places
10. while there is alot of customisation available, the user must refer to the manual to make sense of the menu item as some terms are not immediately comprehendable. (e.g. what the hell is intelligent resolution?)
11. MY menu page in the menu system should really be renamed Last Used Menu
12. i like the MG guide (virtual distance gauge, would be even better with distance markings)
13. i wanted to program the FN button to REC, but its not possible. Its set to Metering now.

a couple of product photos next to the GF1 and E-PL1

now a comparison of the kit 14-43 lens next to the m.zuiko 9-18, m.zuiko 14-42 and lumix 20

lenses at the longest position

[reserved for G10 review]

Last edited:
19 Sep 2010 Update

Finally get some time to use the G10. Ergonomically, i find that it takes quite some effort to get used to the control layout of the G10, i think my problem with it lies in the Q.Menu and OK (menu) buttons, i still think they would work better if the buttons were switched around.

Panasonic's iA mode works very well and I like the fact that the Scene mode the iA chooses for a particular scene is shown on the LCD so the user, its like a training mode of sorts that allows a new user to see exactly what type of scene mode is used to capture the scene. This may encourage the user to try out the many Scene modes available.

Some first shots with the G10. OOC jpegs

Last edited:
25 Sep Update

Took the G10 on a walk through Little India for some street shooting. I like the jpegs from the G10, the colours are contrasty but not overly saturated. The 14-42 kit lens is a decent performer and great value for money.

All shot in Aperture priority with Dynamic film mode. The metering and AF (single point, centre) are accurate most of the time, though some had backfocusing issues, but its probably due to the AF size i chose to use. No PP other then a little exposure tweaks.

Last edited:

Concluding Thoughts.
The G10 is a capable little camera and the lens bundled with it makes it an excellent alternative to a entry level DSLR.

Some of the quirks in the handling of the camera does get on my nerves, in particular the 'sticky' command dial and the drive mode lever switches. The EVF is best for emergency situations, but the excellent LCD more than makes up for the poor EVF.

I really like the images from the G10, but its quirky handling and form factor means i won't be trading in my GF1 for it anytime soon.

Last edited:
reserve for G2 review

chope chope

Date Sunday 5 Sept 2010

Camera used - Panasonic G2 paired with kit lens 14-42 zoom

Drizziling just about all day today but managed to bring the G2 out for a bit to shoot

breakfast of turkish coffee with scrambled eggs w/chicken and some toast
breakfast1.jpg

First stop was Tian Hock Kheng, which i think is one of the better places to test out long end of zoom lens given its intricate ceiling carvings

thk4.jpg

thk3.jpg

thk1.jpg

Last edited:
Next stop in the afternoon was back to Little India..... a hive of human activity , so excellent for human portaiture

at_door.jpg

hands_behind_back.jpg

portrait8.jpg

spectator.jpg

player.jpg

Last edited:
I put tissue paper factory FTW! :devil: :cool:

Would be good to have a comparison between this and other existing cameras (APS-C, other m43), especially in low light situations, handheld, etc. :)

I too had a chance to handle (only pre-release versions) of the G2 and G10. Didn't find them too different from G1 :dunno: but didn't manage night shots. I didn't find out about the left-hand shot option... I think that would come in useful too :p

Initial Impressions after 2 days with the G2:

1. Love that left-hand shoot ability ..... I dont follow technology too much so dont know if this is old news or what for this type of cameras.
With SO many people shooting nowadays ....... its easy for a layperson to see if someone is reviewing pics or is getting ready to shoot.......... with this left handed touch LCD focus+shutter release and right hand CLEARLY away from the traditionally placed shutter release button ......... AND an articulating LCD screen ........ its almost like shooting fish in a barrel on the streets

2. User Guide is very good and detailed.... all 219 pages

3. eVF on the G2 is bright , contrasty and switches on/of via a proximity sensor next to the eyecup window

4. the 7-14 f4 UWA zoom and the 8mm f3.5 fisheye are both very very nice........ wish they provided a sample for testing hint hint hint ha ha

Dislikes or Not-Used-To or Outright Alien (to me) ha ha

1. Not used to free-floating focus point (feels like I'm gaming and locked in on target)
2. Missing a SIM card and dial pad to make phone calls (ha ha) ... consumers normally love a piece of equiptment loaded with tons of bells and whistles..... the huge feature list overwhelmed me these 2 days.... and I'll need at least a couple more weeks to know the G2 inside out
3. First camera I've reviewed where I actually had to eat humble pie and read and read through the User Guide more than a few times already.... and not done yet
4. Although its alot of fun using the finger to swipe across screen to move to the next image when reviewing and/or executing other functions thru the touch screen you will be well advised to install a screen protector from Day 1

-----------------------

more comments and feedback to come over the next couple of weeks......

Last edited:
Outing this Sat afternoon 3-6pm see below for link to sign up

Last edited:
IF there is an outing this Sat OR Sunday this weekend with Headfonz and myself (and maybe DM too who has the LX5) go for a spin with these cameras.... anyone keen ?

Sunday I am keen, but I sold all my m4/3 gear already leh. Still can come? Post in G&O lah.. kekeke :p
Also you might get more response from the Four Thirds forum side if you post there.

checking with Panasonic if we can get hold of a few more sets to go around....

woah! thanks for review

wish it came up before i bought my G10...

I just bought my G10 2 wks back still in auto mode, no time to flip thr manual and i just upgrade from pos camera so abit overwhelming for me right now...

also just bought the panny prime lens from amazon... will update some shots wif these lens when i get hold of them....

Just want to know..... who have actually already bought the G2 or G10 cams already? Please share your feedback thanks