REVIEW: Olympus PEN E-PL2 - by ed9119

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diorama filter
t_diorama.jpg

Diorama filter again ... this time shot at wide angle .... minature effect seems much more dramatic
t_diorama_wide.jpg

Dramatic Tone filter
t_dramatic_tone.jpg

Last edited:
those art filters look great :)

Hi Ed,

so any word on the AF performance? is it any good considering that the EPL1 was a rather dismal performer in this aspect?

cheers

Hi Ed,

so any word on the AF performance? is it any good considering that the EPL1 was a rather dismal performer in this aspect?

cheers

i shoot mostly candids on the streets ..... so far Power On, AF and shutter lag are quite snappy but of course cannot compare to almost instant turn On, or USM af motors of DSLRs .... these are 2 very different 'fruits'

There is a UNLOCK lens switch on the kit lens which slows me down..... I just set the lens to unlocked position to save time and avoid the pek chek

Am collating my feedback as a user and will list them down this weekend if CNY visitngs and feastings dont get in the way

Last edited:
those art filters look great :)

you dont say Zaren !!!

I let my colleagues in the office play with it all last week ...... nobody shoots seriously , maybe a few Facebook journalists among them ..... EVERYONE loved the ART filters ..... ESPECIALLY the Pop Art, Grainy Film and the Dramatic Tone filters .... and especially the younger colleagues (the girls love the white/tan sample that I have .... some asking if it comes in pastel pink .............BELCH !!)

This old fart(me) cant understand young people these days .....

Last edited:
i shoot mostly candids on the streets ..... so far Power On, AF and shutter lag are quite snappy but of course cannot compare to almost instant turn On, or USM af motors of DSLRs .... these are 2 very different 'fruits'

There is a UNLOCK lens switch on the kit lens which slows me down..... I just set the lens to unlocked position to save time and avoid the pek chek

Am collating my feedback as a user and will list them down this weekend if CNY visitngs and feastings dont get in the way

Eh... You do know the unlock switch is used only when collapsing the lens but when you wanna shoot, just turn the lens

I would DEARLY love to see the Oly EPL2 in your wicked street-wise hands Banana :)

i would too Eddie... :) :heart::heart::heart: Olympus should pass me one to review... lol haha... will push ISO to max and test test in the real world...

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

cheers

I wont consider the EPL1 AF to be dismal....
As for the EPL2, it is definitely faster. But I dunno how fast u want. If u really want that fast, go get the GF1/2.

Okayyy.... the sun was out this afternoon and yes.... those red spots around the sun are there

iso 400 f22, 1/4000sec
spots.jpg

How do I feel about them red spots ?

1. Sure I wish it wasnt there..... but then I also got a totally all-white blown out area (the sun) that goes hand in hand with these spots that I have to deal with (ANY amount of PP is not going to bring back that overblown area)

2. And there is the issue of degradation of image quality when shooting with this sized sensor at f22 which is where I noticed these red spots start appearing

3. I hear that this happens with ANY camera .... so I was half thinking of doing similar comparisons with my own cameras.... a Canon 1Ds and a Samsung EX1 and my wife's Canon S95 , but decided against risking getting my sensors fried/zapped by the intensity of the heat from the sunlight (the heat intensifies significantly passing through the lenses). Nor was the prospect of looking continuously at (and getting blinded by) the naked sun appealing.

I recommend using either a multi-stop ND or Grad ND filter if one wishes to have any semblence of exposure control in such a situation. We can start a different thread on this topic

So yes, its there at the extreme f-stops ..... use the proper add-on accessories to managed the risk of getting totally blown-out highlights

Last edited:
u know what guys?

i've been using the sigma 50-500mm for a long time now..
most of the time shooting at 500mm (1000mm eqiv.) with IS on..
hand-held is not a problem at all; even at low-light places (with the help of breathing control too) ;)

without olympus IS mode.. i'll have a world of shakiness.. hahahas!
so thanks to Olympus that i can afford cheaper lens at great lengths :D

Coming soon....

Which colors do you guys/gals prefer?

Choco brown skin but on white body. Is this gonna be sold from OSC? Been looking for epl2 skin, thanks for headsup!;)

Hey !!! Not fair !! :) how come we get the painted ones to review and not the ones with leatherette skins ?

the brown natural leather on white camera looks chio

wow that's alot of skinned sets! displays or real EPL2s skinned for sale hehehe

Yo pen users! anyone knows when the skins for EPL 2 will come out or if they are out already?

Status
Not open for further replies.