Review of Sony Alpha NEX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
18mm with aperture of 3.5 = 5.14 of cos there wont be much dof, everyone knows that what. This is the limitation of the lens, not the camera.

well said,bro ..all photographer should know this ,right? :)

18mm with aperture of 3.5 = 5.14 of cos there wont be much dof, everyone knows that what. This is the limitation of the lens, not the camera.

from this we can see that..owning a dslr doesn't equate to being knowledgeable

IIRC , there is a firmware background defocus function.

NEX_lady.jpg

http://www.sony-asia.com/pressrelease/asset/395142/section/regionalpressreleases

Last edited:
Can I ask, are there any ports on the NEX 5 for triggering an external flash? I use external flashes and wireless triggers a lot so I'm wondering for those who switch to NEX cameras, will they still be able to use their Pocket Wizards and external flashes.

lol... that means the sony pronouncedly advertised bokeh is non existing.. hahaha

You don't know much about cameras, lenses, etc, do you?

the background defocus is actually a slider changing the F number.. many other compact cameras already have that for quite some time

i'm juz saying that if their initial lenses will be limiting the bokeh production, so they shouldnt shout about it as a special feature to attract noob pns users to upgrade..

lol... that means the sony pronouncedly advertised bokeh is non existing.. hahaha

True , probably a marketing gimick. They shouldn't be doing that

the background defocus is actually a slider changing the F number.. many other compact cameras already have that for quite some time

i'm juz saying that if their initial lenses will be limiting the bokeh production, so they shouldnt shout about it as a special feature to attract noob pns users to upgrade..

I agree. Given some comments made from this thread, I think Sony is rather successful to generate interests from pns noobs, and even dslr noobs.

I am going to buy it too when it is released. But just for the clean high iso performance and portability.

the plus point for this function is that it works in Auto mode.

Can I ask, are there any ports on the NEX 5 for triggering an external flash? I use external flashes and wireless triggers .....

With this camera the only way to use external flash seems to be using the tiny flash to trigger optically ....... you cannot mount an external flash onto this camera

I think the GN is about 7 ? So its like a little table top salt or pepper shaker to add a dash of fill-in and nothing much more

Last edited:
Thanks Ed9119 for the feedback.

Any chance to try the 16mm yet?
I'm wondering if the bokeh is more than GF1 20mm 1.7?
If have half body bokeh for human portrait - I'm very tempted to switch... thanks

just wondering what will be the upgraded specs as compared to nex 7??

it doesn't have manual controls (Aperture, Shutter etc..) buttons rite, the manual are all selectable in the menu only?

please, the aps-c sensor is massive compared to pns users.

therefore, like it or not, you will be getting bokeh. 200mm f/5.6 no bokeh? don't think so.

here is an example:
3117698011_170cdab9d7.jpg

180mm, f/4.5 = oof areas

it is infinitely harder to get oof with a pns camera. the dof on a pns is crazy.

True , probably a marketing gimick. They shouldn't be doing that
if camera companies shouldn't be indulging in marketing gimmicks, then canon and nikon will be the first ones to fly out of the window. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

you mean, shallow dof is not comparable with fast lenses.

but it still can be done. if you understand how to get oof background, it has 3 factors:

1) focal length
2) aperture
3) subject-background distance

for every equivalent focal length, aperture, and subject-background distance, a aps-c sensor will be infinitely better (in terms of rendering an oof background) than that of a pns. period. so i don't know what you people are complaining about.

aaaarrgghhh returning it tomorrow............

Last edited:
so far it looks really tempting, but the lens choices are pretty limited at the moment. and we'll be stuck with whatever prices sony slaps on the lenses.

i like the camera (specs), but not so for the lenses. i'd like an ultra-wide, and a 35 or 50mm prime. good enough for me!

so far it looks really tempting, but the lens choices are pretty limited at the moment.

Is a new system. If prove to be successful, there should be more lenses from Sony or 3rd party lens maker.

and we'll be stuck with whatever prices sony slaps on the lenses.

Err... That is the case for all lens makers.

i like the camera (specs), but not so for the lenses. i'd like an ultra-wide, and a 35 or 50mm prime. good enough for me!

Then wait and see lo.

For me, I am not too crazy of this new system. If this came out last year or half a year earlier, I may go crazy for it, but now, no... I don't think it worth to keep 2 systems, even they both from same company.

But then, if end of the year got big bonus or spare cash, maybe then ba... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.