Review: Nikon's newest line - the Nikon 1 series V1 and J1 cameras

Ortega,

Excellent review and excellent photos. The accessories looks really good. Much better and more complete.

My one comment though is do you think the colours look a little too saturated? It feels a little artificial to me.

TS, are you using the built in filters?

nice pics!

i am not sure if the 10/F2.8 can take blackground blur shots for portraits?
any idea?

andrewtan said:
TS, are you using the built in filters?

nice pics!

i am not sure if the 10/F2.8 can take blackground blur shots for portraits?
any idea?

Nope I did not use the built in filters.

Thanks I'm glad you liked them.

If I wanted to get "background blur" shots I would try to get as little depth of field as possible, so the 10mm would not be my choice of lens. The 30-110 comes to mind for that. To get minimum dof you would need to use a longer focal length, biggest aperture, minimum focusing distance and greatest distance between subject and background.

I believe that Nikon has a prototype of a fast portrait lens, let's just hope that the prototype comes out from the drawing board and into the shops soon.

Nope I did not use the built in filters.

Thanks I'm glad you liked them.

If I wanted to get "background blur" shots I would try to get as little depth of field as possible, so the 10mm would not be my choice of lens. The 30-110 comes to mind for that. To get minimum dof you would need to use a longer focal length, biggest aperture, minimum focusing distance and greatest distance between subject and background.

I believe that Nikon has a prototype of a fast portrait lens, let's just hope that the prototype comes out from the drawing board and into the shops soon.

I do get what you mean. However, I currently use a SLR with a 50 mm/F1.4 lens so I can easily take portrait shots without using a long focal length as the aperture is wide enough. I am just wondering with the sensor size and F2.8, whether it can create nice portraits instead of using 'zoom' like 30 - 110 mm as it may not be suitable for taking human subjects relatively near me.

Read review from Steve that Nikon 1 with 10mm is not for people who wants nice background OOF shots. At 10mm it has effective focal length of 27mm. On your SLR 27mm f2.8 the background blur (I think) is less than 50mm f1.4. Again one of the reason is because of the focal length.

Read review from Steve that Nikon 1 with 10mm is not for people who wants nice background OOF shots. At 10mm it has effective focal length of 27mm. On your SLR 27mm f2.8 the background blur (I think) is less than 50mm f1.4. Again one of the reason is because of the focal length.

Thanks bro, looks like have to wait to see if Nikon will release a lens with a larger aperture.

all things considered, I still prefer my D7000. I think one of the problems they may face is that there are so much mirrorless cameras out there already in the market competing for the hearts of the consumers, and Micro 4/3rds cameras with bigger sensors, improved AF, and competitive prices. Nikon's entry is gonna have their work cut out for them.

i personally think, they could have made the specs better (i.e. larger sensor, F mount), but perhaps theyre afraid their new dog might eat into the shares of its DSLR market base... Just my 2 cents

Thanks, My preference is for more vibrant Colour. There are other settings that you can use.

sorry to bring up an old thread. ..

the photos are great! can i reconfirm that these shots were on V1 and not the J1?

cheers!

DCturbo said:
sorry to bring up an old thread. ..

the photos are great! can i reconfirm that these shots were on V1 and not the J1?

cheers!

Thanks, I used both but most were shot with the j1, if you have a specific image in mind let me know and I will check the exif data

Nice ... Wanted to see more on low-light setting and/or night scenes since a lot was mentioned abt it's small sensor. But a handful of u guys said that it handled well .... So I'd like to see that.

Also, how does it handle moving shots ... Like shots of children, pets, moving spectacle like ppl running or sports?

Many thx!

Can I ask, how is the AF speed? Is it as good as the ads suggest?
I am looking for a light alternative to my D90 which I can take on long hikes without the weight penalty and yet give me most of the speed of the D90. I don't go beyong Program / Auto mode much, so the J1 suits me fine.

Thanks