Recommendation for DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still i have to consider budget and financial constraints. Those who are bout to get married or have family...should know. Damn stressed one. Haaa

Camera can be damn fast, damn sharp, damn power...but i can't afford to buy, then back to square one also. :bsmilie:

Then act quickly, and buy it before get married lah :bsmilie:

actually im rather tempted with the 30D...honestly...haha
im just wondering how much in total would i need to choke out, if i get an external canon flash. (though some would recommend me other brands of compatible flash)

(and i have that 3 spare BP batts....good enuff to last me whole day)

If u using Canon system, Mertz would be a good choice IMO
(I have both Mertz and 580EX).

If using Nikon, SB800:thumbsup:

actually why not just get a point and shoot?

ok that's besides the point anyway ... i think D80 should fit your budget and usage pretty well, if you find the grip small can get the battery grip, i like the light weight and the colours are good.

Erm...i think more of a Gp cam, i dun think suitable to shoot as actual photographer...back up shooter, no problem i guess. hehe. :sweatsm:

Then act quickly, and buy it before get married lah :bsmilie:

precisely! that's why now lor! LOL

If u using Canon system, Mertz would be a good choice IMO
(I have both Mertz and 580EX).

If using Nikon, SB800:thumbsup:

what about the bulky cl-40 or something? i was thinking of getting one second hand...havent got the price quote from seller though. :p

Erm...i think more of a Gp cam, i dun think suitable to shoot as actual photographer...back up shooter, no problem i guess. hehe. :sweatsm:

don't get what you mean, pns is very general purpose what right?

D80 is not in the professional body league also, lightweight enough for casual, can double up as backup, i believe some use it for professional jobs also, very general purpose what

anyway up to your likings.

don't get what you mean, pns is very general purpose what right?

D80 is not in the professional body league also, lightweight enough for casual, can double up as backup, i believe some use it for professional jobs also, very general purpose what

anyway up to your likings.

oops! i forgot to add the word wedding. hahaha sorry my bad.
Yah, if its normal shooting nature, landscape, my night explorations...no problem, but when it comes to events...there's still a need to impress. I found out about that when i did events with a G2, G3, s30....people started whispering. Haaa :sweatsm:

A100 looks better? Why everyone mask out 30D being the cleanest output? :dunno: selective viewing? and the trees look yellowish as well.. :dunno:

I'm just comparing the D200 and the A100. Yes, the 30D has the cleanest image. :)

heavy shooter can go for a-100...the battery stamina...woo! fantastic...if 1 day shoot ard 30 to 50 pics...can last ard 1 week or so...no flash...but depending the processing & shutter speed too lah...:)

heavy shooter can go for a-100...the battery stamina...woo! fantastic...if 1 day shoot ard 30 to 50 pics...can last ard 1 week or so...no flash...but depending the processing & shutter speed too lah...:)
really ah~ wah~ sounds good man

Wat's A-100?
Normally when i do explorations recce, lets say around 3-4 hours, i could shoot up to 300-500 photos. (adding those reviewed and deleted, mixture of flash/no flash depending on light source) If the battery could last at least 6 hours, then i think its pretty good. Should be costly right? What about which brands could use it?

Wat's A-100?
Normally when i do explorations recce, lets say around 3-4 hours, i could shoot up to 300-500 photos. (adding those reviewed and deleted, mixture of flash/no flash depending on light source) If the battery could last at least 6 hours, then i think its pretty good. Should be costly right? What about which brands could use it?

Sony A-100

yeah that's something my photographer colleague told me this morning. :nono:

(although he's using d40 now, and he says it's good, National Geographic also use. lol :bsmilie: )
Nat Geo use what doesn't mean u use liaoz u'll become like Nat Geo photographers.

Are U SURE that ur friend is a photographer or is he juz a tech geek?

Wat's A-100?
My Dynax5D (the previous incarnation of the A-100) lasted 8hrs in -7 degree celcisus, not turned off, standby mode. Over 200 shots taken during the 8hrs.

Comes with the noise man.

alpha.jpg
Ah! The noise thing!

For normal day shots it shldn't be very visible but its an absolute turn-off especially using high-ISO for night shots and u'd forgotten abt the Tripod.... :(

PICT9154.jpg

Lesson #101: Always bring ur tripod around

Allo all proflashionials...i need some recommendations/suggestions/advice
for getting a DSLR.

Friend A recommended getting a Nikon D40x or a D80

Friend B recommends getting Canon cameras instead, saying focusing is better and faster, although Nikon maybe more sturdy and durable. Was eyeing the 30D, but it seems really expensive, heard 20D and 10D not that good.

Nikon seem to have only 3 models of flashes on sale, the camera shop dudes told
me last time those SB-something-something no longer in production.
And im not very familiar with Canon cameras. I need some information/advice

Requirement? My budget for a DSLR + kit lens , around $2k. (hopefully not more than 2.5k)
Used for outdoor urban exploration photography (will use both wide and zoom), travel photos, indoor work events, maybe some friends or relatives weddings if im paid the non-spoil market rate. Kaka
:bsmilie:

Thank you you!

1. Consider what you need the cam for. Family vs making money.

2. If its for family, then would suggest Canon 400D or Nikon D40x (both 10 MP).

3. If for making a living, then maybe your "image" is important. Not that the 400D or D40x cannot produce good pictures. It can. In this case, consider Canon 5D or Nikon D200. The 5D has a slightly better advantage as it is full-frame.

4. Consider the lenses: Generally, Canon has wider range of lenses to choose from. As an example, take the current wide angle lenses: 16-35 and 17-40 vs Nikon's 17-55. Also the telephotos: Canon, 70-200 f/4 IS / non IS, f/2.8 IS / non IS (4 choices) vs Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR (2 choices). One lens that Nikon has but not in Canon's arsenal is the 18-200 VR. This one-lens-to-shoot-them-all is good for travel, and produces relatively good images.

On the other hand, Canon has the 28-300 (for full-frame cameras, its good). Not so good on the 400D though, as you tend to lose out on the wide angle end.

5. Consider the build: Is metal body / solid handling important to you? So important that you are willing to pay more for it? Well, if you are covering news in Iraq, then maybe it is. Nikon's D200 boasts one of the toughest bodies. Canon's 400D is plastic. Handling is crap to a lot of people. Will plastic crack over time? Well, it may. But over how long time?

6. Consider your heart. At the end of the day, people may offer tons of advise with good intentions. When you hit the shops, you may decide that hey, I prefer brand X... The get brand X then. No point getting the most feature-rich camera and hating it.

FYI, I was using the Nikon D100, then D70 then D50 and finally I switched to Canon 400D. Crappy camera? But I love it!! I will buy a Nikon D40x in the near future so as to be able to use my old lenses like the 55mm f/2.8 Micro, etc.

My 2 cents... Hope it helps.

"Plastic" bodies these days are made of polycarbonate.. the same material as bulletprof shields the police use.

im back again...hur hur...

i think more or less i narrowed down my choices....
after further reading reviews and threads...

left only...

Nk's D80
(Probably will get it with the kit, what offers does it come with recently?)

Ok i noticed quite a few short forms for names of shops, i know about CP, what about the rest?

And erm, what's grey or otherwise?

Was advised to ask for local warranty, but is there different forms of "local warranty" ?

Recommended external flashes for the D80? sd cards?

What other pointers to look out for when i make a purchase?
Thanks! :sweatsm:

Check the box they give you is not an empty one. :bsmilie:

Good luck with the new camera!

LOL! i havent got answers yet, hoping to get some more advice before i go down to look around later with friends. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.