Real Monk or Fake Monk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note though, that in countries such as Japan, it is a custom for monastics to stand stationary, to do chanting for blessing the public, and to receive money in their bowls. But such is not the case in countries like Singapore and Malaysia at all. In the past, the bogus monks in Singapore were stationary, which made them easier to apprehend. Nowadays, mobile ‘nuns’ are more popularly used instead – which makes immediate reports to the cops even more crucial. The general direction the bogus monastics are walking to should be informed too. If one wishes to track them, one must be very careful. Tracking bogus monastics might be dangerous, though there is no recorded case of intimidation yet.

Protect the integrity of real monastics by exposing the fake. Previously, a syndicate of 30 fake monks were caught. Some were foreigners forced to be fake monks as their passports were withheld by syndicate leaders, when they were promised work earlier. Free these conned ‘workers’ by handing them over to the law! Mere scaring them away does not do much if they simply go elsewhere. Having ever scared three away, not once did I detect any remorse while they fled. The syndicates might force them to continue their ‘jobs’ despite their fear. Scaring them away might only urge them to increase their vigilance, making them harder to track. They might be abused when they turn in empty bowls too? Arresting them in any case is for their own good – especially if they are perfectly willing ongoing partners in crime. [... continues athttp://moonpointer. com/new/2009/ 09/bust-the- bogus: How to identify fake monastics? Share your experiences too.]

Apparently, some of these were foreigners forced to work like this as their passports were withheld......they were promised jobs here

HS

No real monks or nuns from any Buddhist organisation in Singapore are allowed to be out on the street asking for donation.
This is a true fact.
Therefore any person dressed in a fashion that causes public members to believe that he or she represents a religious organisation, AND asking for donation, is unfortunately an imposter.
No member of the public should donate.
In fact, yes, one should report cases of these to the police for soliciting illegally.

sigh
why like that
so disappointed

amitabha

Was just sharing this fake monk story with my mother as she's quite a devout Buddhist herself. With much less than an indifference, she told me this episode that happened in Buddha's time somewhere in India.

A powerful Indian king saw a monk walk past the palace. The king was immediately filled with good will and asked his trusted minister to offer some alms and follow the monk to see which monastery he is from.

The minister followed the monk. After some distance, the monk walked into a small hut, changed clothes, and had lunch with his wife and kids.

The minister upon seeing this knew very well that this monk together with his family would be executed should he report this to the king. Also, the king's sense of content and positivity would instead be filled with negative rage and anger.

The minister went back to the palace. When the king asked about the monk, he simply answered: "My king, after some distance, the monk disappeared from my sight", to which the king thought "wow, I did indeed offer alms to an enlightened monk!".

Outcome:
1. The king gets to feel good about his good deed.
2. The "monk" and his family is spared. His karma will come eventually.
3. The minister didn't lie either. The monk that is represented by the robes disappeared the moment the fake monk took off the monk's robe when he changed back to normal clothing. So the monk disappeared.

Just thought I'd share this story :)

was at the reclining buddha in bkk a few years ago and a monk about 100-150m away from me and my friend pointed his dslr + l lens at us. after taking a few shots, he even smiled and waved at us. :confused: was trying to explain to my friend that the lens he was using was crazily expensive and that i had doubts whether he was a "real" monk.

Last edited:
For countries like thailand, myanmar, laos, tibet and srilanka there are many trainee monks.
They are called samanera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samanera) and they observe vastly less rules than fully fledged monks. So if you see them behaving less like a monk, well they may be samanera behaving badly.
Some of them do not want to be one, but forced by their family. So well, they rebel by mis-behaving.
I see one of them in a comic shop reading comics when I was in Yangoon. Too bad was rushing to go back to the bus I did not manage to take a shot.

sigh
why like that
so disappointed

amitabha

Hey jekyll69,
Don't be disappointed.
Life is impermanent. Evens monks, who are religious representatives, need to observe the secular laws of the country that they reside in. I personally do not think any self-respecting monk will run afoul of these state laws as long as he observes strictly the Four Noble Truths, and understand this impermanence.

Was just sharing this fake monk story with my mother as she's quite a devout Buddhist herself. With much less than an indifference, she told me this episode that happened in Buddha's time somewhere in India.

A powerful Indian king saw a monk walk past the palace. The king was immediately filled with good will and asked his trusted minister to offer some alms and follow the monk to see which monastery he is from.

The minister followed the monk. After some distance, the monk walked into a small hut, changed clothes, and had lunch with his wife and kids.

The minister upon seeing this knew very well that this monk together with his family would be executed should he report this to the king. Also, the king's sense of content and positivity would instead be filled with negative rage and anger.

The minister went back to the palace. When the king asked about the monk, he simply answered: "My king, after some distance, the monk disappeared from my sight", to which the king thought "wow, I did indeed offer alms to an enlightened monk!".

Outcome:
3. The minister didn't lie either. The monk that is represented by the robes disappeared the moment the fake monk took off the monk's robe when he changed back to normal clothing. So the monk disappeared.

the minister pocketed the money? :think:

Outcome:

Will the minister say this white lie over and over again? :dunno:
He lied because he want to prevent the king to commit bad karma by ordering death to the fake monks.

Fast forward to today - the fake monks will not be punished with death sentence. Worst that come to him will be caning and jail term.
If he is also cheated and forced to work like this then doing this will liberate him as he is taken from his captors by the authority

I think once is no problem, but the problem is the fake monks are appearing repeatedly.
They are taking money of what suppose to be donation, so the person who donated will have less money to donate to other charity that is in real need of the money. Think about it.

Even when the intention is good (would give to charity), but the aim is wrong (giving instead to cheaters) the giver is not doing as good deed as reporting this cheaters to authorities. That is my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
was shooting around beach road area, pretty close to kumpong glam on Sunday.

Saw one "monk" there as well:bsmilie: Noticed him for quite awhile as he tried to target 'ang mos' to "donate" to him.

Not sure if anyone has seen this monk? Very easily recognisable. He is damn tall, like Yao Ming, prob after he collects enough "donations" he will open School Of Kung Fu Basketball:bsmilie:

Hey jekyll69,
Don't be disappointed.
Life is impermanent. Evens monks, who are religious representatives, need to observe the secular laws of the country that they reside in. I personally do not think any self-respecting monk will run afoul of these state laws as long as he observes strictly the Four Noble Truths, and understand this impermanence.

yes
you're right

Status
Not open for further replies.