question: any light dlsr for female/beginner?

Samsung has the 30mm f2 which will allow for more background blur and subject isolation than sony's lenses.
18-55 from sony @ 55mm f/5.6 comes nowhere close to what the 30mm f2 from samsung can do.
Images are a lot sharper with the 30mm f2 as well. Samsung has a 60mm f2.8 macro and 85 f1.4 planned for 2011. These are large aperture portrait lenses.

every camera can achieve background blur and such and such. it doesn't mean not having the lens you won't be able to get the same effect. blurring everything out is not always what people want. the best way, and since TS' friend is someone who's never had an interchangeable lens camera before, is to get the friend to try out what she likes.

you're not offering TS' friend the benefit of choice (yay for change!). don't mislead TS into thinking that only the NX is capable of what the friend wants.

oh and. like you said. samsung has lenses planned for 2011. what's to say, they won't delay it just like you mentioned about the NEX lens lineup. after all, they both came out the same time (except that recently, sad to say, production of japanese electronics has slowed due to natural disaster). but i dare say, if you read websites for your information on sony, i'm sure you'll know that there's gonna be new stuff coming soon.

Last edited:
Samsung has the 30mm f2 which will allow for more background blur and subject isolation than sony's lenses.
18-55 from sony @ 55mm f/5.6 comes nowhere close to what the 30mm f2 from samsung can do.
Images are a lot sharper with the 30mm f2 as well. Samsung has a 60mm f2.8 macro and 85 f1.4 planned and confirmed for 2011. These are large aperture portrait lenses.

50mm f/1.4 and 132 f/2 is slated (planned but not confirmed / rumoured) for 2012. All portrait lenses that portrait shooters are thirsty for.

background blur doesn't affected only by aperture, but by camera-to-subject-to-background ratio.. also, sensor size might affect it also.. and remember, 30mm lens is a 30mm lens, focal length doesn't change, it has quite large depth of field, only the crop factor makes it "60mm" in m43 or 45mm in APS-C..

cheers! :)

FYI: if you think the e-mount is stagnant:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11020915sigmacsclenses.asp

and

Sony-Roadmap-ph10-mts-01.jpg

every camera can achieve background blur and such and such. it doesn't mean not having the lens you won't be able to get the same effect. blurring everything out is not always what people want. the best way, and since TS' friend is someone who's never had an interchangeable lens camera before, is to get the friend to try out what she likes.

you're not offering TS' friend the benefit of choice (yay for change!). don't mislead TS into thinking that only the NX is capable of what the friend wants.

oh and. like you said. samsung has lenses planned for 2011. what's to say, they won't delay it just like you mentioned about the NEX lens lineup. after all, they both came out the same time (except that recently, sad to say, production of japanese electronics has slowed due to natural disaster). but i dare say, if you read websites for your information on sony, i'm sure you'll know that there's gonna be new stuff coming soon.

I don't see how i have not given TS's fren the benefit of choice when i have mainly stated the strengths and weaknesses of the 3 MLC which i have owned.
NX for 4 mths and still using it. E-PL2 for 2 days, NEX 3 for 2 month.

I have also shot from 2x crop to aps-c to full frame to know the differences.

Full roadmap to 2013 from samsung. It is very aggressive.

http://mirrorlessforum.com/samsung-...ra-lens-roadmap-leaked%85-smasung-itself.html

Last edited:
Thanks alot for the feedback... i would like to get her to try out all the camera first.
Like to ask a Qns, where / What is TS? like some of you all mentioned earlier? a place that can test out camera?? sorry noobie here.

Guess my fren are more into Snapshot and Portraits. seems like Samsung nx are not too bad ...
Nex is not so good for Snapshot and Portraits rite?

TS = Threadstarter, i.e., you!

You can test these cameras at all major shops, like Courts, Harvey normal, SonyStyle, MS Color, SLR Revolution, etc.

Snapshot and portraits: Do they like camwh0ring/taking pictures of themselves? If yes, the articulting LCD and fast autofocus of an A33 will be a big help. Paired with the affordable but excellent 50mm f/1.8 you also have a great portrait combo.

ALL cameras are good for snapshots and portraits, even your cameraphone or a point and shoot. Don't let some rabid fanboys deter you or confuse you.

Thanks alot for the feedback... i would like to get her to try out all the camera first.
Like to ask a Qns, where / What is TS? like some of you all mentioned earlier? a place that can test out camera?? sorry noobie here.

Guess my fren are more into Snapshot and Portraits. seems like Samsung nx are not too bad ...
Nex is not so good for Snapshot and Portraits rite?

Try big electronic stores like Harvery Norman and Best, but don't buy from them as they are more expensive (though they do give you lots of useless goodies) :)
Pentax is a bit of an 'indie' brand here, so you can find it in Challenger, DSLR-Revolution, Orient Photo, they carry the other brands as well.

All cameras can take snap shots and portraits. Don't be led to believe only a specific brand can do any specific form of photography.

I am amazed at how i can be labelled as a rabbid fan or misleading TS to think that only a specific brand can do portraits well.
The only reason why i have elaborated on Mirrorless is that they are still in the infancy and do not have a full range of lenses to cater to all types of photography when compared to a DSLR.

If recommending and owning the camera makes me a rabbid fanboy, by the same reason alone, I should have just advised TS to get his fren to look only @ Canon since i obviously have more lenses and equipment for Canon than the Nx and that some of the Canon lenses i owned probably cost more than an entry level dslr.

To TS, just go test out the NX with 30mm f/2 @ f/2 vs 18-55mm @ 55mm f/5.6 on nex and the 20mm f/1.7 @ f/1.7 on the e-pl2 to form your own conclusive result.
Subject to background isolation is very apparent at similar framing. Sharpness and contrast is very apparent too. U will appreciate primes like 20mm f.1.7 from panny and 30mm f/2 from samsung when compared to kit zooms.
Bring a laptop there if you want to as lcd screens on the cameras are misleading and photos will look very good on an oled from samsung compared other cameras and on a monitor.

But please advise your fren not to just test and not buy any of the mirrorless /dslr as the salesman has taken a lot of effort and time to help your fren make a decision. You can go to any of the reputable shops listed in the forum for great savings and service during a weekday.

I don't see how i have not given TS's fren the benefit of choice when i have mainly stated the strengths and weaknesses of the 3 MLC which i have owned.
NX for 4 mths and still using it. E-PL2 for 2 days, NEX 3 for 2 month.

I have also shot from 2x crop to aps-c to full frame to know the differences.

Full roadmap to 2013 from samsung. It is very aggressive.

http://mirrorlessforum.com/samsung-...ra-lens-roadmap-leaked%85-smasung-itself.html

sorry but it seems to me you're just focusing on the NX system and just trashed out the rest. noticed that from M4/3 and MLC you suddenly removed the M4/3 from your posts.. and suddenly all that's left is the NX. by the way, look at your posts and tell me how fair did you portray the other cameras to the NX system. "the lens will not be able to achieve the blur" is what you said. misinformation on the creation of background blur on NX vs NEX? furthermore, it's not about the blur. portraiture is not just about the blur. i believe, TS friend will have a better understanding of herself and what she wants and her needs, rather than telling TS that every camera is not good except one particular one. also, what TS' friend means by portraits could also mean casual snapshots and shots taken of a person anyhow. so don't assume that background blur is needed for everything. sometimes, we want the background in the picture as well.

because if you want to do portraiture seriously, go for a DSLR already. MLC is outta that league.

by the way, samsung can unveil all they want. after-all, like what you mentioned, they can also delay the launche ws just like you claim sony will. oh and.. i believe not only samsung released the lens roadmap. panasonic, olympus and sony all did the same... so your point about samsung being aggressive? of course they have to be. they're jumping onto the interchangeable lens camera bandwagon.

sorry but it seems to me you're just focusing on the NX system and just trashed out the rest. noticed that from M4/3 and MLC you suddenly removed the M4/3 from your posts.. and suddenly all that's left is the NX. by the way, look at your posts and tell me how fair did you portray the other cameras to the NX system. "the lens will not be able to achieve the blur" is what you said. misinformation on the creation of background blur on NX vs NEX? furthermore, it's not about the blur. portraiture is not just about the blur. i believe, TS friend will have a better understanding of herself and what she wants and her needs, rather than telling TS that every camera is not good except one particular one. also, what TS' friend means by portraits could also mean casual snapshots and shots taken of a person anyhow. so don't assume that background blur is needed for everything. sometimes, we want the background in the picture as well.

because if you want to do portraiture seriously, go for a DSLR already. MLC is outta that league.

by the way, samsung can unveil all they want. after-all, like what you mentioned, they can also delay the launche ws just like you claim sony will. oh and.. i believe not only samsung released the lens roadmap. panasonic, olympus and sony all did the same... so your point about samsung being aggressive? of course they have to be. they're jumping onto the interchangeable lens camera bandwagon.

I had to as TS asked how does the sony nex compares to the samsung nx specifically.
And every quote i got from CSers here are directed to the Samsung Nx & Nex.
The nex is definitely a better camera body in terms of iso and dynamic range, but the current lenses are seriously lacking in terms of selection/IQ.
Sure you can use manual lenses but not many beginners will want to do that.
Sony's 2011 roadmap did not detail any of the upcoming lens specifications, let alone the release date. Let us be brutally honest here, we are in the month of may, and with whatever information that was released and from past records,
personally I could never be convinced that the nex lenses will be here by the end of 2011.

It is a scientific fact that the 18-55 will never be able to achieve the same amount of blurring or quality of bokeh to 30mm f/2 with similar framing. Is that a misinformation? i have stated the conditions. 18-55 @ 55mm f/5.6 vs 30mm f/2.
That's the condition needed to give maximum out of focus /blur on both lenses. There is no way the 18-55 f/3.5-f/5.6 can give the same shallow depth of field as the 30mm f/2 even if it is a sweeping comment on lenses when subjects are framed similary.

I did be crazy if i need to start a wall of text on Photography 101 to justify my recommendation and every sentiments made.
Am i wronged or misleading to be in the opinion that Samsung is better for portraits when u have the 30mm f2 which u can use now for half to 3/4 body portraits, the 60mm f/2.8 macro and 85 f/1.4 by the end of the year. 50 f/1.4, 135 f/2 with a possible 2012 release.

50mm f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, 135 f/2 have been helmed by photographers all over the way as the primes for portraits with different uses. It is just so that Samsung decided to focus on portrait lenses first. Samsung does not have any UWA except for the 16mm which is not really very wide.

60mm f/2.8 macro has also been used quite extensively in APS-C systems for beauty shots in replacement of 100mm macro lenses as they squeeze out a lot of facial and hair details.

Just to add on to what ranma-cs was saying..

Regarding the availability of NX UWA lenses, I do believe you can now pick up a Samyang 8mm fisheye or 14mm UWA native for the NX mount at very good prices. :)

Also, not forgetting that the 30mm F/2.0 has been heralded as a superior lens in terms of sharpness and resolution compared to competing similar kit lenses from Sony and Panasonic. The 20mm is also supposed to be very good.

It is good to note what Samsung are doing with NX they seem to be doing very well. I suppose it is the Schneider Kreuznach influence.....

Sorry to interrupt.. please do continue... :)

...prefer to be light and for beginners...

the question is: will the female friend actually care about this? or care more about the whole package being nice to see, light and compact to carry, produce better IQ, easier to use? she's a beginner, and may or may not be so into these kind of technical stuff.. so why confuse the TS and overwhelming the female friend? :)

will she do a detailed comparison between lenses? or will she use it mainly for informal, fun shots?

Last edited:
I am amazed at how i can be labelled as a rabbid fan or misleading TS to think that only a specific brand can do portraits well.

I never mentioned you or said that the comment was about you. If I was talking about you, I would have directed it AT YOU. But since you immediately took it to refer to yourself it must have struck a chord.

It is a scientific fact that the 18-55 will never be able to achieve the same amount of blurring or quality of bokeh to 30mm f/2 with similar framing. Is that a misinformation?

Yes, because quality of bokeh is not dependent on aperture or focal length.

In fact, the 30mm f/2 has rather mediocre bokeh:
http://www.photozone.de/pentax/534-samsung30f2?start=1

Also, not forgetting that the 30mm F/2.0 has been heralded as a superior lens in terms of sharpness and resolution compared to competing similar kit lenses from Sony and Panasonic.

How are you comparing a 30mm prime to an 18-55 kit lens? Apples and oranges...

The lenses wont be appearing anytime soon regardless of what was promised or rumored. There isn't a concrete road map and everything seems just so fantasy.

Ah, so you're basing it all on rumors?

50mm f/1.4 and 132 f/2 is slated (planned but not confirmed / rumoured) for 2012. All portrait lenses that portrait shooters are thirsty for.

Ok, so you're anti0-NEX because of the "rumored" roadmap, but the Samsung lenses you say portrait shooters are thirsty for on the NX are also just rumors. So, where's the Samsung bashing? Come come! It's just rumored!

FYI: Portrait shooters are not "thirsty" for these lenses on the NX. Portrait shooters have all these lenses and more already available on a DSLR. They will not wait for rumored lenses that have a vague "2012" release date, they are shooting right now with the existing, proven, already-released technology. A "thirsty" photographer who is waiting for a slated/rumored lens is one who is not earning any money.

50mm f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, 135 f/2 have been helmed by photographers all over the way as the primes for portraits with different uses.

Yes, that's why we have them already on our DSLR system. No need to wait till 2012 for a rumored release.

To help TS more... and not going into what camera versus what cameras, I think the most important thing for TS to look into is,

1) What type of control you and your friend wanted. Was it traditional DSLR type of control or mirrorless Olympus PEN-like control? Believe me, there is a difference.
2) The lens lineup and expansion for that particular brand of camera (this would also link to the type of photography you want. You can have many many lenses in your arsenal but not going to use most. If that was the case, it will just be a big waste of money).
3) Accessories that could later be added to the camera when you get more experiences.
4) Weigh of the camera.
5) Budget of the camera.
6) potential upgrades (in the future). It would be good if you could think more into the future than just to get a camera system now and thats it. When I say about thinking and looking into the future, you might want to 'upgrade' to semi-pro or even professional camera and can your arsenal of lens and accessories be used then.

And please look at all the brands before making up your mind - Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.

How are you comparing a 30mm prime to an 18-55 kit lens? Apples and oranges...

The 30mm/F2.0 is offered as a kit lens with the NX10. Obviously I was comparing this lens with similar prime lens offerings from Panasonic (14mm/F2.8), Olympus (17mm/F2.5) and Sony (16mm/F2.8).

I have not said that I am comparing the 30mm with 18-55 zoom lenses.

The 30mm/F2.0 is offered as a kit lens with the NX10. Obviously I was comparing this lens with similar prime lens offerings from Panasonic (14mm/F2.8), Olympus (17mm/F2.5) and Sony (16mm/F2.8).

I have not said that I am comparing the 30mm with 18-55 zoom lenses.

I do a few searches in the net... and this is one of the site I got,

Samsung Kit lens is the worst as compare to other mirrorless camera.
The kit lenses are all, well, kit lenses. They're competent but not exceptional. I've shot enough with the Olympus kit lens to know I prefer it over the Panasonic, but the Panasonic is also a very good lens. The Samsung kit lens seems the weakest of the bunch, but it's not bad. The Sony kit lens disappoints because of its size. Basically, it overwhelms the camera so much that you hold the camera differently (and slightly awkwardly).

Sony's prime lens is better.
The primary pancakes for the cameras are a more mixed bunch. The Olympus 17mm (35mm equivalent) is probably the worst of the bunch. I think the kit lens equals or exceeds it at 17mm. The Panasonic 20mm (40mm equivalent) is pretty good. Ditto the Samsung 30mm (45mm equivalent). The Sony 16mm (24mm equivalent), though, is the pancake I've gravitated towards the most, though. While the biggest of the bunch, it's well made and very sharp in the center. Unfortunately, like a lot of these lenses, it is resolution challenged in the extreme corners. Otherwise, it would have made for the perfect pocket landscape camera. Pity.

http://www.bythom.com/compactmirrorless.htm

So where does this herald to be better come in place?

And if you want to look at the lens that are already available to the consumer and not just roadmap, Olympus and Panasonic had the largest number of them and if you look at the roadmap Olympus and Panasonic had 10 of them in the lineup. So in actual fact Olympus and Panasonic had around 26 lens. Samsung had 21 lens...

Sony in this department had the least lens available. But with adapter, it can fit the standard alpha lens to the camera too. So there are still plenty of choices.

I do a few searches in the net... and this is one of the site I got,

Samsung Kit lens is the worst as compare to other mirrorless camera.

Sony's prime lens is better.

http://www.bythom.com/compactmirrorless.htm

So where does this herald to be better come in place?

And if you want to look at the lens that are already available to the consumer and not just roadmap, Olympus and Panasonic had the largest number of them and if you look at the roadmap Olympus and Panasonic had 10 of them in the lineup. So in actual fact Olympus and Panasonic had around 26 lens. Samsung had 21 lens...

Sony in this department had the least lens available. But with adapter, it can fit the standard alpha lens to the camera too. So there are still plenty of choices.

If you are going to read reviews over the internet it is worthwhile seeking out reputable websites.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx10/page18.asp
http://www.lenstip.com/224.11-Lens_review-Samsung_NX_30_mm_f_2.0_Summary.html

Edit: I have read the review again. The reviewer appears to start off by reviewing the 20mm pancake and 20-40mm compact zoom lenses on offer with the NX100 (not NX10), yet somehow later changes to 30mm (45mm) equiv. The reviewer appears to be confused as heck. He has mentioned three different NX mount lenses and does not indicate which one he is talking about in your excerpt. This review is very messed up!

Last edited: