question: any light dlsr for female/beginner?

go try the new Nikon D5100! good value for $ feature and a solid sensor which produce great photo!

Pentax is e way to go. There varities of colors to choose.

Well unless, she is fan of nikon/canon/sony and yr budget is ard 1100.. Then maybe d5100, 1100d, a33.

Jus my 2 cents.

I used the Kx before switching over to canon 550D. Somewhat it feels heavier. Not sure if it is the weight of the AA battery.

Is weight an issue for the lady user? Perhaps other than size, should take a look at how heavy the camera is?

ops..jus saw the word "light"...perhaps A33/A55 is good? hands on and find it v compact, light and competent for it's price!

The A33/A55 are only slightly lighter than regular DSLRs. There is no advantage in purchasing them if you want light weight and bulk.

The Sony A33 + standard 18-55mm zoom kit lens = 492g + 210g = 702g. The A55 is a few grams heavier.

Here is a comparison of ILC camera weights and DSLR weights which I prepared when making my purchase:

Consider the heaviest ILC offerings:
Samsung NX10 + 18-55mm (Equiv: 28-83mm)= 612g
Panasonic G-2 + 14-45mm (Equiv: 28-90mm) = 623g

Compared to light DSLRs:
Canon 550D + 18-55mm = 730g
Nikon D3000 + 18-55mm = 732g
Pentax K-x + 18-55mm (DAL) = 780g

Comparing heaviest ILC with lightest DSLR (based on the G-2 Vs 550D), the weight difference is 16.2%.

Compared to ILCs with zoom lenses (compromising on flash and maybe EVF):
Panasonic GF-2 + 14-45mm (Equiv 28-90mm) = 505g
Olympus EPL-1 + 14-42mm (Equiv 28-84mm) = 482g
Samsung NX100 + 20-50mm (Equiv 30-75mm) = 459g

Again comparing heaviest ILC with lightest DSLR (based on the GF-2 Vs 550D), the weight difference is 30.8%.

How about ILCs with prime lenses:
Samsung NX10 + 30mm (Equiv 45mm) = 499g
Panasonic G-2 + 14mm (Equiv 28mm) = 483g
Panasonic GF-2 + 14mm (Equiv 28mm) = 365g
Samsung NX100 + 20mm (Equiv 30mm) = 429g
Sony NEX-5 + 16mm (Equiv 24mm) = 365g
Olympus EPL-1 + 17mm (Equiv 34mm) = 405g

This time comparing lightest ILC with lightest DSLR and you get a whopping 50% savings in weight (NEX-5 Vs 550D).

If you compare the lightest fully featured ILC with prime lens (flash and EVF included), and lightest DSLR you still get 34% savings (G2 Vs 550D).

If you compare the lightest fully featured ILC with prime lens (flash and EVF included), and lightest SLT camera you will get 31% savings (G2 Vs A33).

I think the numbers speak for themselves. If the lady wants light and small, it is far better to ditch the DSLR idea and simply go with an ILC (mirrorless) camera.

Hi Boxiez,

I am a female DSLR user too. I had a D80 for 4 years before finally putting it aside for a Canon 550D due to the weight. Weight is certainly a big issue for me, cause I usually use it when I am travelling and lugging heavy stuff around gives me neck and shoulder pain. When getting a DSLR, the weight of the body is important but you got to think about the lens too and the other accessories like fliters, flash and extra lens you will probably be carrying around with you too.

My suggestion is for you to borrow a DSLR, carry it around with you and take photos, you can get an idea if a DSLR is what you really want.

go try the new Nikon D5100! good value for $ feature and a solid sensor which produce great photo!

Same $$$ gets a good Sony or Pentax with the same sensor but more features...

I am a newbie in cameras and i am a female too... i personally like the Sony Nex 5 a whole lot and the Oylumpus Pen.. Not sure if they qualify as DSLR but they churn out pretty good images.. i bought the 60D and found it a tad too heavy, one week later after talking to my sis who is also interested in buying a DSLR we bought the 1100D... never look back.. that is like my most favourite camera even though its the most entry level dslr.. the weight and ease of use plus very decent pictures at half the price of the 60D too.. :)

If you ask me, go try out at harvey norman or courts the weight of the various camera... can consider the Sony Nex 5, Oly Pen, Samsung has some interesting models which I saw think its NX 10 or something like that, Panasonic also has a DSLR which looks pretty cool, and of cos try out the Sony A33, Pentax Kr, Nikon D3100 and D5100, Canon 1100D and 600D... Then see which one feels nice in your hand... you hold in your hand and feel you want to own it then more or less there liao, then see the price and the features before deciding..

Like some brothers here would have chose the Pentax KR over my 1100D, some may choose the D3100 over my 1100D.. All are good cameras... hmmm i guess at the end its still buyer's decision and choice :)

any camera, D3 and 1D also can.. what is important is to go to the gym and bulk up..

jokiiiingg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hhmm, usually, even the smallest camera will feel heavier after a day of outing.. my set up (see my signature) weighs less than DSLR but after a few hours, it will feel heavy as well.. but it helps if in the first place if the set up is not that heavy..

why not try the suggestions given at courts/harvey/challenger etc? if not, why only DSLR? some mirrorless cameras are good as well, like panasonic Gs, olympus Pen, Sony NEX, samsung NX10/NX100? they produce similar results..

bayusuputra said:
any camera, D3 and 1D also can.. what is important is to go to the gym and bulk up..

jokiiiingg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hhmm, usually, even the smallest camera will feel heavier after a day of outing.. my set up (see my signature) weighs less than DSLR but after a few hours, it will feel heavy as well.. but it helps if in the first place if the set up is not that heavy..

Haha. Whether the camera is light or not depends on the photographer's strength. I can bench 100+ kg 30 reps with no problem, so to me, an FF with 70-200 is nothing to me. But to people who don't have the strength, just holding the FF body is a killer.

If weight is an issue, then go for the NEX5. But it's more than just the weight. The ergonomics, how the camera fits in your hands, the controls, and functionality are also factors to consider. But those can be less impt after long usage.

Dont forget to take into account what she likes to shoot, the lenses available and handling.

Mirrorless:

For landscape or architecture, u cant go wrong with the light weight olympus e-pl2.
Portraits or snapshots, i did recommend the samsung nx11/nx100 with the 30f2 and the upcoming 16mm pancake or 16-80 for the occasional landscape shots. Lenses are very affordable too and sharp.
As for nex, sony doesnt seem to want to develop its range of lenses. Both olympus and samsung will provide a better selection of lenses.

For the iso comparison,
e-pl2 provides very very usable iso 1600.
nex is probably half a stop ahead - u can use iso3200 if u want to but it is going to be grainy and soft. iso 1600 on the e-pl2 will look much better than iso3200 on the nex.
nx provides very very usable iso 800. iso1600 is akin to 3200 on the nex. which means that it is just one step below a nikon d90 or canon 550d. That said iso3200 is not usable.

DSLR:

Pentax KR
Nikon 3100 / 5100
Canon 550d/600d
Sony A33/A55

She really have to go down and feel the weight.

As for nex, sony doesnt seem to want to develop its range of lenses. Both olympus and samsung will provide a better selection of lenses.

Huh? Please don't spout nonsense like that. Sony has already said they are developing more NEX lenses, shown prototypes and also opened up the mount specifications so companies like Sigma, Tamron, etc can develop lenses for the NEX.

Huh? Please don't spout nonsense like that. Sony has already said they are developing more NEX lenses, shown prototypes and also opened up the mount specifications so companies like Sigma, Tamron, etc can develop lenses for the NEX.

Well, efforts are pretty weak compared to the competition.
The lenses wont be appearing anytime soon regardless of what was promised or rumored. There isn't a concrete road map and everything seems just so fantasy.
Only a 16mm f2.8, 18-55, 18-200 are available at present. I wouldnt call that a good selection in any way compared to m4/3 and even Samsung which have adhered to it's published road map very well thus far.

For an aps-c i am inclined to the A55 for the very neat features and value. But i just cant say the same for nex.

Last edited:
ranma-cs said:
The lenses wont be appearing anytime soon regardless of what was promised or rumored. There isn't a concrete road map and everything seems just so fantasy.
Only a 16mm f2.8, 18-55, 18-200 are available at present. I wouldnt call that a good selection in any way compared to m4/3 and even Samsung which have adhered to it's published road map very well thus far.

For an aps-c i am inclined to the A55 for the very neat features and value. But i just cant say the same for nex.

Do u work for sony? Because u seem to have very good knowledge about whether the lenses will become reality or not. I believe you've seen the roadmap for the E-mount lenses as well. And also, i believe it specified that the lenses would be rolled out later half of the year.. So if there aren't many lenses now...there will be soon.

Also. There are so many adapters for use with various brands of lenses. Don't forget that.

Bro, there will always be NEXt time, right? doesn't have to be now.. when all other competitors have come up with their lenses, then maybe the NEXt one is NEX system.. just be prepared for the NEXt generation of NEX lenses..

since ur looking for dslr, i would say, d5100 is a good choice. with a solid line up of lenses. and price is not exactly high, 1k$ exactly will net u the kit + 8gb card + some other freebie. canon wise probably 600D, nt sure about the pricing. but if not expanding your collection of lenses, i believe D5100 or sony series would be a good choice. if buying more lenses, canon/nikon definetely.

Bro, there will always be NEXt time, right? doesn't have to be now.. when all other competitors have come up with their lenses, then maybe the NEXt one is NEX system.. just be prepared for the NEXt generation of NEX lenses..

haha. what a tongue twister!

Thanks alot for the feedback... i would like to get her to try out all the camera first.
Like to ask a Qns, where / What is TS? like some of you all mentioned earlier? a place that can test out camera?? sorry noobie here.

Dont forget to take into account what she likes to shoot, the lenses available and handling.

Mirrorless:

For landscape or architecture, u cant go wrong with the light weight olympus e-pl2.
Portraits or snapshots, i did recommend the samsung nx11/nx100 with the 30f2 and the upcoming 16mm pancake or 16-80 for the occasional landscape shots. Lenses are very affordable too and sharp.

For the iso comparison,
e-pl2 provides very very usable iso 1600.
nex is probably half a stop ahead - u can use iso3200 if u want to but it is going to be grainy and soft. iso 1600 on the e-pl2 will look much better than iso3200 on the nex.
nx provides very very usable iso 800. iso1600 is akin to 3200 on the nex. which means that it is just one step below a nikon d90 or canon 550d. That said iso3200 is not usable.

DSLR:

Pentax KR
Nikon 3100 / 5100
Canon 550d/600d
Sony A33/A55

She really have to go down and feel the weight.

Guess my fren are more into Snapshot and Portraits. seems like Samsung nx are not too bad ...
Nex is not so good for Snapshot and Portraits rite?

I am a newbie in cameras and i am a female too... i personally like the Sony Nex 5 a whole lot and the Oylumpus Pen.. Not sure if they qualify as DSLR but they churn out pretty good images.. i bought the 60D and found it a tad too heavy, one week later after talking to my sis who is also interested in buying a DSLR we bought the 1100D... never look back.. that is like my most favourite camera even though its the most entry level dslr.. the weight and ease of use plus very decent pictures at half the price of the 60D too.. :)

If you ask me, go try out at harvey norman or courts the weight of the various camera... can consider the Sony Nex 5, Oly Pen, Samsung has some interesting models which I saw think its NX 10 or something like that, Panasonic also has a DSLR which looks pretty cool, and of cos try out the Sony A33, Pentax Kr, Nikon D3100 and D5100, Canon 1100D and 600D... Then see which one feels nice in your hand... you hold in your hand and feel you want to own it then more or less there liao, then see the price and the features before deciding..

Like some brothers here would have chose the Pentax KR over my 1100D, some may choose the D3100 over my 1100D.. All are good cameras... hmmm i guess at the end its still buyer's decision and choice :)

Oh seems 1100d is not a bad choice either. It's quite a new model. thanks for the feedback too.. :p

Thanks alot for the feedback... i would like to get her to try out all the camera first.
Like to ask a Qns, where / What is TS? like some of you all mentioned earlier? a place that can test out camera?? sorry noobie here.

Guess my fren are more into Snapshot and Portraits. seems like Samsung nx are not too bad ...
Nex is not so good for Snapshot and Portraits rite?

Samsung has the 30mm f2 which will allow for more background blur and subject isolation than sony's lenses.
18-55 from sony @ 55mm f/5.6 comes nowhere close to what the 30mm f2 from samsung can do.
Images are a lot sharper with the 30mm f2 as well. Samsung has a 60mm f2.8 macro and 85 f1.4 planned and confirmed for 2011. These are large aperture portrait lenses.

50mm f/1.4 and 132 f/2 is slated (planned but not confirmed / rumoured) for 2012. All portrait lenses that portrait shooters are thirsty for.

Last edited: