Proud to be a Singaporean

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Taiwan now. Met an elderly gentlemen and a conversation started because of the camera I was using. He asked me where I am from and I told him Singapore. Straight away, I saw 2 thumbs up. "Singapore is a very strong country! Law is uphold at all cost!" I told him we too have our own problems and it's not as rosy as he sees it. He said "No no no! Singapore is a very strong country! There's law and order!" I couldn't explain further with my limited mandarin.

I think Singapore has successfully built up a reputation on the international stage but like many countries, domestic issues persist. I think it's just as important to address them. If not, whatever happens up front will just be a...... well.....facade.

The gentlemen passed me a card and he was off. He turned out to be the president of Hasselblad users' club in Taiwan.

Enjoying my 15 deg weather!

Reactions: Foxshade
These are the people who were born during the good times....never experienced the bad times.

yes agree, they grow up thinking everything should be there for them.

Do you guys have compulsory military service for all citizens? I think I read that your country bases it's military on the Israeli model is this so? Everyone serves?

You may call it "compulsory" but we think we are more prepared to sacrifice ourselves and defend our country than any other citizen of any country. :)

You may call it "compulsory" but we think we are more prepared to sacrifice ourselves and defend our country than any other citizen of any country. :)

I went off and volunteered to joined our Navy once when I was young and dumber than I am now. I wish we had compulsory military service in my country because then we probably wouldn't have quite as many knuckleheads as we do...

Definitely another thing about your country that is great!

Why are the people still so disgruntled and unhappy?

We are Singaporeans.... being unhappy and disgruntled no matter how good we have it, is a national pastime... :think:

Do you guys have compulsory military service for all citizens? I think I read that your country bases it's military on the Israeli model is this so? Everyone serves?

not all citizens but all males who are in fit conditions.

Singapore is a country where people said a "Clean and Green City".
Some call it "Uniquely Singapore" and indeed we are unique in some ways.
one of the most popular is a language which we invented called "Singlish" which is mainly English spoken in a sentence mixed with other languages words in it. not forgetting the new word "Underhappy" which means not happy and not sad...lol

We are Singaporeans.... being unhappy and disgruntled no matter how good we have it, is a national pastime... :think:

LOL :D

Singapore is a country where people said a "Clean and Green City".
Some call it "Uniquely Singapore" and indeed we are unique in some ways.
one of the most popular is a language which we invented called "Singlish" which is mainly English spoken in a sentence mixed with other languages words in it. not forgetting the new word "Underhappy" which means not happy and not sad...lol

Ah I see...I was wondering about some of the phraseology I have been reading in your all's posts. Makes sense to me now. This is great because I am always wanting to learn more about the rest of the world. I like to think of myself as a little bit more urbane than your typical American and it is hanging around in places like this forum that helps me to acquire this knowledge.

Last edited:

In Singapore some call it "Unsad" 0r "Half Happy". :bsmilie:

I think Singapore has successfully built up a reputation on the international stage but like many countries, domestic issues persist. I think it's just as important to address them. If not, whatever happens up front will just be a...... well.....facade.

Kind of reminds me of something I heard a young women say to me in Jamaica one time..."in Jamaica we do not have any problems whatsoever...we have 'situations' "

Seriously, we are not North Korea where we shoot anyone trying to leave country.

Those who not happy in SG, can just leave this country. No one will stop them.

Why so much complaints?

In Taiwan now. Met an elderly gentlemen and a conversation started because of the camera I was using. He asked me where I am from and I told him Singapore. Straight away, I saw 2 thumbs up. "Singapore is a very strong country! Law is uphold at all cost!" I told him we too have our own problems and it's not as rosy as he sees it. He said "No no no! Singapore is a very strong country! There's law and order!" I couldn't explain further with my limited mandarin.

The gentlemen passed me a card and he was off. He turned out to be the president of Hasselblad users' club in Taiwan.

yes, it is true, my Taiwanese friends want to find jobs in Singapore. Better pay, clean place and safe at night

could it be u had been around with those "disgruntled and unhappy" group of people?? actually most people outside are happy.

based on observations, many (not all) are not happy because of personal problems.

just imagine a friend of mine who cannot find wife blames it on the high cost of living, but actually he spends his money on lenses.

Last edited:
Seriously, we are not North Korea where we shoot anyone trying to leave country.

Those who not happy in SG, can just leave this country. No one will stop them.

Why so much complaints?
I agree and I am not against your idea of having more people leave the country. It is just getting too crowded......:(

In taiwan, govt is run by mafia. And their parliament is a boxing or WWF ring.

And their degree graduates have no jobs or only get paid S$1500 monthly.

In taiwan, govt is run by mafia.

That's because they have Godfather: :)

images

Status
Not open for further replies.