Proud to be a Singaporean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeap, nobody owes Singapore a living. This is an infallible tenet of our National Education ideals.

if it isnt, it has to be

our country is a young one, i think if we want to compare patriotism with countries that have real cultural roots and real history, i think there is no point. we are not trained for that sort of drama

Just a note: inquisition is more than just asking "why why why" and challenging the system...

ya, it must be large scale and happen at hong lim park lol

so, when is this thread getting locked?

if it isnt, it has to be

our country is a young one, i think if we want to compare patriotism with countries that have real cultural roots and real history, i think there is no point. we are not trained for that sort of drama

Shh, my ex-OC might hear you and send both of us to DB. His face contorted in the most humorous way when I quoted him that.

By the way, I'm having exams, but I feel like shooting later. Maybe got good light.

Shh, my ex-OC might hear you and send both of us to DB. His face contorted in the most humorous way when I quoted him that.

By the way, I'm having exams, but I feel like shooting later. Maybe got good light.

just to be consistent, i need to say that its ok to ignore your exams hahaha

Nope that's not the point. I didn't say Master's degree is for finding a job. My main point is, the pay is low not because of the Master's degree per se, but because there is a handful of replaceable labour and this cheaper labour is preferred over Singaporeans.

Even if you ignore the Master's degree part, for a person with a Bachelor's degree, 7 years experience, in that field, it's still considered underpaid.

Haven't you heard how at one point, some companies were employing foreigners (cos the manager or big boss is a foreigner himself) more than Singaporeans even though the latter were equally if not better qualified?

There was a big hoohah over several years in the news, and it is only very recently that MOM limits foreign labour.

Put it this way. Another eg for you. It is well-known we Asians work much longer working hours than Australians. We are equally qualified and actually, a lot more qualified than many Australians in their companies. But that doesn't mean their government open the floodgates and admit tons of Asians into their country easily. I'm very sure if they did, Australia's economy will rocket up in no time.

All I am saying is, if you want to improve the economy, of course, by all means, it's a good thing. But for Pete's sake, ensure first your own citizens have sufficient public housing to choose from at AFFORDABLE prices. Ensure your public transportation can cope with the drastic increase in population first. Then we can welcome the foreigners here. Remember, we are generally NOT xenophobic. How could they put the horse before the cart? Of course, the general public won't be happy.

I'm not saying we don't take in any foreigners as well. I'm not saying we severely cut down the number of foreigners coming in to Singapore. After all, we are a small country and we can't behave like the bigger ones. But viewed in totality, such as the housing and transport issues, the fact that the younger generation is feeling the pinch at work now, we know there is an issue.

No point arguing further. PM LHL himself admitted his government didn't have the 20/20 foresight to see these problems. I find that amusing. I thought we gave them the mandate to earn their millions because of their great foresight. It's not true apparently. The problem was they went overboard with their idea to boost the economy far greater than they expected the repercussions that are to happen.

If any of you are still not convinced, then may I urge you all to perhaps support making all our HDB flat prices rise further? Let's make more of them hit $1 million! Maybe that's what we should tell our MPs or government. We need to increase the value of our assets. Then let's see if the new, young graduates "whine" that they cannot afford to even own a flat any more. To which, I will use your lines: "Stop whining! If you are capable enough, go compete with the foreigners coming here. If you are worthy of your labour, you will earn enough to rise through the ranks!" Sounds ridiculous?

Many companies, especially those who operate here employ their own countrymen to keep the company culture as intact as possible. also most of the expats are well-traveled and can see a bigger picture (especially companies with regional HQs based in singapore, malaysia, taiwan etc). they are better suited to the task over someone who has maybe higher qualifications, but cannot think on a macro, international level. your argument neglects to state hiring criteria, job scopes, etc that are needed and why others are hired. simply just stating "prefer to hire foreign workers for the lower pay" is just not credible enough.

also, limiting foreign workers will have an impact on the economy. the situation has to be carefully analyzed before any changes can be implemented. points to consider would be along the lines of impact to FDI, impact on employment, etc. if you think such a thing can be immediately enforced without careful study, then you're really thinking of a quick fix that has serious implications.

HDB prices is one of the things we can agree on that is way overpriced. in terms of market regulations the government has not done much in the past few decades to curb the flipping of properties. but now they're doing it and it's frankly speaking way too late. and the government (i feel) thought that Singaporeans would be happy to make money off property, and contribute to the economy through increasing value of homes. but now we see otherwise.

enough said, we've gone way off topic.

Eye opening discussion here.

I've been told that it's better to whisper online.

bend bend bend! :bsmilie:

]...I'd like to join in by whispering as well..

Or the silent screams?

Just a note: inquisition is more than just asking "why why why" and challenging the system...

generally, some leeway is given in Kopitiam to TCSS... however, this is not an excuse for some of you to push the boundaries. if you got issues with certain decisions ... take it offline.

thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.