Pros/cons of upgrading from D90 to D700?

...by the sound of it you do not need D700 as you yourself said D90 is serving you well in your model shoots, ISO performance is not an issue as you don't push that in studio, maybe its the image thing you are after to impress your models? Then a D2x might be more impressive as its a pro body hahaha....? Its between the price of D90 and D300s second hand price..

If I were you, I would upgrade to D300s :cheergal:

:) On D700, it is almost like my ex D300s.
D300s to me is a good choice.

I'm considering upgrading my camera body from D90 to D700, but need to convince myself it's going to be worth it.

Can anyone think of more major points to add to the list?

Pros:
  • 51 focal points
  • better quality images? (but is it really noticable on the web?)
  • can bracket 7(?) exposures at a time

Cons:
  • $2000 upgrade
  • 9 focal points
  • Can only bracket 3 exposures at a time

Bro, I am a D90 user too. On the D700 you can check out all the specs & reviews easily available on the web. My only comment here is that its not just buying into FX with the cost of the camera alone, but buying into a whole system, lens, accessories & all. If one has the $$$ AND knows exactly what he wants to use it for & how, then no need to think, no need to consider further, just get the D700, its a lovely camera.

For me, funnily, I could not get past the bulk/weight for my purpose of travel :) Also, just to share, I have used the D90 side by side with a D3 owned by a friend. He's loaded so he went all the way bypassing all these upgrade decisions. When he saw the pics from my D90, I could see that he was really surprised, impressed, if not shocked. We couldnt really tell the difference as we dont go taking pictures of brick walls & such. Thats why I am still "stuck" with my 2 D90s. :)

One other thing for me, I know buying the D700 or D3 wont suddenly make me a better photographer overnight, even with my 20> years affair with photography. As to bigger bragging rights with more advanced/pro equipments, the very thought is offensive to me. :) I dont make a living from photography, just as a hobby & for pleasure.

So happy hunting... Btw I love portraitures, & modelling too ;) Nothing beats the 35mm & 85mm to go with the FX.

Last edited:
It's not easy to make decision based on paper specs. You should at least get a D700 and a FX lens(14-24mm, 70-200 VRII, 24-70, 35/1.4G, 24/1.4G, ....etc) to try first then you will know there's a big difference between D90 and D700. The only thing is whether the money you have to pay makes you comfortable and satisfy or not. Some people can plunge more than 10k in FX system but some people are even not willing to spend over 2k in photography.

I upgraded from D90 to D700 too but I never look back now. You may notice the advantages below when you hands on a D700:
1) the colour rendition is much richer
2) the details captured are much clearer
3) the focusing and shutter speed are much faster
4) the body built is much solid and not plasticky
5) the dynamic range is much better
6) the depth of field is much better
7) the pictures captured at night hand held are much better
8) the viewfinder is much bigger and brighter for easy focusing. This prevails when you use the classic Carl Zeiss, Nikon and Voigtlander manual focus lenses. Some of these manual focus lenses are better than some Nikon autofocus lenses.

Getting a D700 or even a D3s should not be regarded or pressured as a pro. Same thing as getting expensive cars like Mazda 6, Nissan GTR, BMW or Lambogini doesn't mean you must drive as good as Michael Shumacher then you can buy them. It's just purely a hobby thing for your short lifetime. If you can afford it, why not?

Last edited:
Pros:
  • 51 focal points
    [*]look more pro, can xian xmm better

Cons:
  • $2000 upgrade
  • 9 focal points

:angel:

keep the D90 as spare for its light weight and longer range. And buy the D700, so u can enjoy the best of both DX and FX. :)

Last edited:
rent a d700 with 24-70mm and test it out for yourself.
nothing beats real life experience

Getting a D700 or even a D3s should not be regarded or pressured as a pro. Same thing as getting expensive cars like Mazda 6, Nissan GTR, BMW or Lambogini doesn't mean you must drive as good as Michael Shumacher then you can buy them. It's just purely a hobby thing for your short lifetime. If you can afford it, why not?

Sweet... :thumbsup:
Camera just to shoot.
If you like it... just buy it.

Hi, If you are gonna use just 28-300 lens for the D700, might as well just buy a d7000 or d300s and use an 18-200 lens.

For me, FX body is only gonna be worth it if you are going to use prime lenses and F2.8 zooms.

Both D700 and D300s has Chromatic Aberration Reduction function. :thumbsup:

Attached the link:
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/microsite/d300s/en/image-quality/

So does d90.

My viewpoint is, in the end the hobby of photography is about the pictures. If you feel dx is restricting you in any way, then just go fx. But do understand the costs involved. It will be a lot more than $2k. You need fx lenses to match. To replace what you have now in dx, you will need at least 5-6k.

So does d90.

My viewpoint is, in the end the hobby of photography is about the pictures. If you feel dx is restricting you in any way, then just go fx. But do understand the costs involved. It will be a lot more than $2k. You need fx lenses to match. To replace what you have now in dx, you will need at least 5-6k.

I already need to get 1 new lens for outdoor portrait, and that in itself is a much harder decision to make. Which lens should I get lol :sweat:

I think i'm getting good enough quality out of D90 so far, and it's manageable. Until I get the chance to use an FX camera, i'll be sticking with D90. Maybe a newer FX model will come out in March and be more enticing ;)

^^ better wait.

Im waiting for the new d700 too.
I'm definitely gonna jump ship to Nikon if its gonna have proper video and at least 18 megapixels. I would have jumped shipped now If d700 had video.

I dont think the coming 5D Mk3 will have the same features that the d700 has.

The feel of the camera. The shutter piak piak. The big viewfinder.

Big camera.

^^ better wait.
Im waiting for the new d700 too.
I'm definitely gonna jump ship to Nikon if its gonna have proper video and at least 18 megapixels. I would have jumped shipped now If d700 had video.

Whoa, exactly my thoughts too..... :) I dont want to spend that kind of money & yet dont even have high quality video like the D7000 or competitors. Photo wise not heaven & earth.

One last thing, I dont feel any more macho, potent or invincible holding semi-pro/pro cams. Quite the opposite, I find it a "burden" of sorts, as people expectations/demands becomes high. If people request to use these super duper stuff to take some pics & they turn out to be less than perfect, really feel shameful, embarassed, like its all show & no substance or as hokkien saying "good to see no good to eat (taste like Sh*t)" So with my D90 can really relax enjoy & take photos :)

Last edited:
Hi, If you are gonna use just 28-300 lens for the D700, might as well just buy a d7000 or d300s and use an 18-200 lens.

For me, FX body is only gonna be worth it if you are going to use prime lenses and F2.8 zooms.

So does d90.

:thumbsup: Right on.

For me, D3s is the holy grail. Nevertheless, my DX cameras allow me to magnify my subject by 1.5x, which is what really matters to me. To get the equivalent zoom on my 400mm (using 80-400mm) on DX, I need to get a 600mm lens on FX. This will cost me an arm and a leg.

The feel of the camera. The shutter piak piak. The big viewfinder.

Big camera.

Haha.. Troyp indeed asked a very thankful comparison topic. But y never did anyone mentioned abt e loudness of d700 shutter? To me it seems way too loud

I'm considering upgrading my camera body from D90 to D700, but need to convince myself it's going to be worth it.

Can anyone think of more major points to add to the list?

Pros:
  • 51 focal points

Cons:
  • $2000 upgrade
  • 9 focal points

Really, the fact that you started this thread asking other people to help you justify the switch to D700 is a con itself.