Pros/cons of upgrading from D90 to D700?

I think not in sg, right?

Nope. But mass order people in CS here selling at around 1.4 to 1.5k.

But remember 1.3k is new with warranty. And it is not 1.3k actually, but 1.2+k.

Fly to macau and stay in macau for cheap. Take boat over to HK buy lens and take photo.

wow...some people still selling the 2nd hand of 85mm f1.4d at $1300-1500 in the b&s section. Some even without warranty. They will be annoyed by knowing the above price.

Fly to macau and stay in macau for cheap. Take boat over to HK buy lens and take photo.

Ya, but after adding in the airfares, accomodation..... the price is the same.

Ya, but after adding in the airfares, accomodation..... the price is the same.

actually... after adding in airfare and accomodation, it is still slightly cheaper. And you get a nice vacation in the process.

Am I missing out on a little secret here? Can get the AFD 85mm f1.4 at $1.2+K? Where in HK, any specific place/contacts? Can consider getting my relative to buy & bring over for me when they come for CNY :) This would be the best lens for me for a D700 or possibly my D90.

Last edited:

i've checked the MO from skyestang and the 85 f1.4D is S$1.55k. maybe there r other MOs in ClubSnap that i might have missed?

as for macau, dun really knw. i'm there mainly to gamble. :bsmilie:

i've checked the MO from skyestang and the 85 f1.4D is S$1.55k. maybe there r other MOs in ClubSnap that i might have missed?

as for macau, dun really knw. i'm there mainly to gamble. :bsmilie:

Even if you show this thread to him, I don't think he is willing to reduce the price till S$1.2+k.
No profit mah ..

Hi guys, this is my first post here (took a while to find a topic I thought I could contribute to)...

I upgraded from a D90 to a D700 and it was absolutely the best thing I did. It's not about the IQ (cos lets be honest, no one makes really bad bodies anymore), its all about the feel. The D700 feels awesome. Its beautifully balanced (especially with a pro lens) and sticks into your hand like glue. Like a previous poster said, it has encouraged me to take more pictures than what I did with my D90 and this has made me a better photographer. It gets out of the way of taking photos.

In terms of weight, I just lugged the camera around Banff and Vancouver with the 24-70 and a 50 1.4 and it was not too heavy at all (I use a sunsniper strap). Not only that, the quality of the pictures taken was pretty good (even by my standards). Would a D90 with the 24-70 or 50 been any different in terms of IQ? I doubt it - but would I have wanted to take as many pictures or felt as good taking them in -19 degree conditions? I don't think so. ;)

Another thing about the D700 is that once you get used to it, it allows you to do everything you need without your eye leaving the viewfinder. You see differently with it. Also, in difficult conditions (cold, rain, direct sun, etc...) it is good knowing that this camera is over-engineered for what you need it for. Always turns on, battery life is superb and it is rugged and reliable.

Was it expensive? Absolutely! Was it worth it? Yep - for the reasons above and many more.

Mark.

Tks Mark for sharing your honest thoughts :)

It'd be a great pity if you aren't in marketing or sales. Your spiel made me hunt for my ATM card ;)

LOL, thanks. I wish I was - I would probably be able to make more money so I can afford the 70-200 VR2. ;-)