Professional photographer in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
hazmee said:
You can check out some of our local professional photographers from this site:
http://www.onasia.com/content/members.aspx

Thank you

1 The TS was talking about Singapore and overseas. From what I could see, this website only has 2 Singaporeans

2 There were no portfolios to view.

Click on their names. And you'll see a link to their portfolio which is directly below their picture :)

hazmee said:
Click on their names. And you'll see a link to their portfolio which is directly below their picture :)

Thank you. I got them now.

I will be harsh in my comments.

Both Munshi and Norman's photographs are OK. Competently taken. Many CSers can take better. But as far as I am concern, hardly inspiring.

I know people want to compare, but maybe if you put this much effort into improving you own pictures than you all could be better, who cares which country has the better photographers, who cares if SG's photographers do not compare to the rest of the world? Go out and shoot more and stop bitching over something that is pretty pointless. Maybe you could become one of SG's leading photographers and kick ass against the rest of the world, who knows?

student said:
Thank you. I got them now.

I will be harsh in my comments.

Both Munshi and Norman's photographs are OK. Competently taken. Many CSers can take better. But as far as I am concern, hardly inspiring.
Its ok. No worries. ;) I am not even offended. I was only try to help the OP look for professional photographers. People who does photography for a living.

I am not here to inspire but only trying offer my humble assistance :)

student said:
DB is based in Madrid because he was paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to be there.

Why did YH base himself in Paris?

I saw some works of an Singaporean, trained in France.

His works are good! Very good! In my opinion, very creative way of seeing. I would love to meet him.

But he is now a barber. Only takes pictures for fun now.

Reason? He could only survive as a photographer if he produces works like most of those whose websites are listed in this thread. He refused to make pictures like these.

There are hundreds & perhaps thousands out there deliver good > execellent > extraordinary images. But what make the few made to survive times & again by practising this damn trade ?

This is a very unforgiving trade because the perfection factors must be upkept once & eveytime. A mistake is all it takes to ruin a long term business relationship.

You need to be very CREATIVE, BUSINESS DRIVEN, TECHNICALLY COMPETENCE & EXTREMELY VERSATILE to be called a true Pro.

Otherwise, just shoot on weekends & talk photography only during free time.

Any comparison should be heavy weight with heavy weight.

zaren said:
it's not THAT hard looking for an singapore photographer's portfolio online surely? :bsmilie:

Auntie, as you've expertly said it's not that hard lah.

It's up to a person whether he or she wants to see it or not.

If you don't see a door you won't walk through it. But If you see a door when everybody don't see it you walk into a wall.

:bsmilie:

wats nice and wat's not is really subjective aint it... and the fact that one cant seem to find any webbies of local photog's ard doesnt mean that there aint any around...

to thread starter:

pro photog = make money from photography.

but,

pro photog != good photog.

so wat's ur point?

Volks said:
You don't give-up your passport, U ARE OUR KIND !

I sure as hell will if that's the only reason. I belong to nobody if it comes to invididuality and talent.

Maybe it's hard to do a search for Singapore photographers coz the good ones are all overseas and they don't provide any hint that they are from Singapore? Examples are Leslie Kee and John Clang. For some reasons both their websites are being updated. Maybe they heard your call :bsmilie:
http://superlesliekee.com/
http://www.johnclang.com/

sabby said:
hi guys,

i was just wondering, since i am pretty new in photography, how is the photography standard in singapore like?
I was checking out some overseas photographers' portfolio and was quite amazed by their works.When i check out some singaporean photographers' it didnt amaze me as much.

Are you comparing "free artist" professional photographers, who make their own works and try to sell them, or "photographers-for-hire", who take pictures according to the specifications of the customer?

In the latter case, the photos you see should reflect more the taste of the local customers. And even in the first case, if a photographer wants to make a living, it usually is advisable to photograph what's in demand. In a way, professional photographers are artistic prostitutes.

The general taste here definitely is different from other parts of the world, not just related to photography. E.g., a lot of what seems to be in demand here would be widely considered horribly clicheed kitsch in western Europe - plus the society here is largely so conservative that there is little tolerance for variation in style.

LittleWolf said:
In the latter case, the photos you see should reflect more the taste of the local customers. And even in the first case, if a photographer wants to make a living, it usually is advisable to photograph what's in demand. In a way, professional photographers are artistic prostitutes.

i think your last sentence is crap ****.

Take your camera out and shoot as much as you can. Attend talk, exhibition, classes, Read and learn as much as you can.
Learn what went wrong with your photography. Correct them for the next shooting.

I am new to photography, pls take a look and leave some comment thank. I am looking for a mentor to do street photography Thank again.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=179037&page=8

sabby said:
hi guys,

i was just wondering, since i am pretty new in photography, how is the photography standard in singapore like?
I was checking out some overseas photographers' portfolio and was quite amazed by their works.When i check out some singaporean photographers' it didnt amaze me as much.Am i wrong to say that the standard in singapore is much lower to international standard? or was it because i have yet to see local photographers' work. I am checking out the NUS montage exhibition tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.
Meantime, your opinions.. haha

Sab.

Hi sabby,

New to photography. Shoot shoot shoot.
Looking for works by photographers, exploring, asking questions, are all good things that will help you grow.

You did not mention what part of overseas you were looking into, but if it were America, then I would not be suprised at the result.

For me, Americans have so much competition that they are "in your face". You don't have to look hard.

Countries like Singapore are non- "in your face" and simply get on with it. You just have to do a bit of a search.

I check out the occasional photography based websites and often find some amazing works, but, do your self a favour and check out the gallery here in CS.

I am often blown away by works I see here.

Do question, do search, definately shoot,shoot,shoot.

Cheers :)

LittleWolf said:
In a way, professional photographers are artistic prostitutes.

Whew!

To my friends who are professional photographers. Do not despair! You are in good company!

Just like to name some of my favorite prostitutes that you are company with

Yusof Karsh
Hurrell
Richard Avedon
Peter Lindbergh
Irving Penn
Albert Watson
Paolo Roversi
Michael Kenna
Eikoe Hosoe
Sugimoto
Jeanloup Sieff
David Bailey
Sante D'Orazio
Helmut Newton
Victor Skredneski
Etc Etc Etc....................................................................!

Not to forget our own CS artistic prostitutes such as Skye Tan and Cedrick!

I am so sad that I do not qualify to be in this illustrious company of prostitutes. Well, Skye and Cedrick, if not partners in crime, at least I can call you friends?

In any case, Gravemaid, it appears to me that your primary concern is how to "serve" the participants in your photoshoots better. Asians versus Caucasians is only one of the issues.

I think you need to ask yourself what kind of photographers you are trying to cater to, and decide accordingly.

But if you want to fill up the slots quickly, then take a look at the photoshoots offered here, and see which one is filled up quickly!

The question is so lame, the market in S'pore is so small, of course the standard of pro photography here cannot compare with other countries. It's the same for many other fields-- football, golf, tennis, technology, science, etc.-- not just photography.

So any photog who wants to grow has already gone or will likely go overseas.

Thus the question is quite a waste of time.

I wonder though...

How many overly sensitive forumers does a troll attract?

If the main post is not clear enough, look at the "haha" part, look at the "I'm a newbie but I want to know the standard of pro photography". Why would a newbie worry about the standard of pro photography when he can't even tell one f-stop from another?

If that's still not obvious, look for when "sabby" joined and how many posts he has made. And that since the initial troll post, he has not made a single comment.

All the signs are there, yet why do people fall for these things?

Why do people like to make enemies on forums? Or at least, spend time arguing rather than learning?

Why do they turn on each other instead of on the troll?

Will wonders never cease???

Wai Leong
===
sabby said:
hi guys,

I was checking out some overseas photographers' portfolio and was quite amazed by their works.When i check out some singaporean photographers' it didnt amaze me as much.Am i wrong to say that the standard in singapore is much lower to international standard? or was it because i have yet to see local photographers' work. I am checking out the NUS montage exhibition tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.
Meantime, your opinions.. haha

Sab.

Status
Not open for further replies.