problem with the 18-200mm vrii

I don't experience this clicking noise on my 18-105 kit lens even with VR turned on.

However, with this 18-200mm, the VR clicking noise is too noticeable. Nonetheless, after I switch off VR, no such clicking noise is encountered. It's totally silent except for a very minute noise from the SWM auto-focusing.

I don't believe in paying so much more for an 18-200mm but getting such a noise. So definitely sending mine to NSC.

Do look at the thread below from flickr. The thread starter sent in his lens for repair and this is what he had to say after they fixed it:

"Sorry but it was not "perfectly normal". Having exchanged the lens the difference is massive. Much much quieter and no creep. As i said before make sure you get a good one."

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_18-200_vr/discuss/72157610395284986/

Blade, do update when you get yr lens back! Looking forward to hearing your reply! :)

no prob man :) but its been more than a week alr still no call from them :x

Wah super sian. The guy say the sound is the same for all the 18-200 so he says he cannot do anything. I can only suck thumb. :(

He even took the display set to demo and it was the same sound.

I did forget to mention that the 28-300 also doesn't have the VR sound issue. So the reasoning that more powerful VR for the 18-200 makes more noise doesn't make sense as the 28-300 is bigger and would need an even more powerful VR.

Blade what did you say that makes the NSC accept Yr lens for 'repair'?

Wah super sian. The guy say the sound is the same for all the 18-200 so he says he cannot do anything. I can only suck thumb. :(

He even took the display set to demo and it was the same sound.

I did forget to mention that the 28-300 also doesn't have the VR sound issue. So the reasoning that more powerful VR for the 18-200 makes more noise doesn't make sense as the 28-300 is bigger and would need an even more powerful VR.

Blade what did you say that makes the NSC accept Yr lens for 'repair'?

Since the sound on your lens is the same as their display and demo set, it means your lens is ok. No need to worry. Sound on Blade's lens must be really loud that's why they accept it.

OT a bit:
Let me guess, you guys must be below 30years old.
Some "not so young" photographers like me, needs a very quite place to hear the clicking VR :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Since the sound on your lens is the same as their display and demo set, it means your lens is ok. No need to worry. Sound on Blade's lens must be really loud that's why they accept it.

OT a bit:
Let me guess, you guys must be below 30years old.
Some "not so young" photographers like me, needs a very quite place to hear the clicking VR :bsmilie:

Hahaha you are right. I'm below 30. :)

I'm just disappointed that the 18-200 has a clicking VR when the 28-300 doesn't. Maybe I should have gone for an FX body after all! :p

ExoStreaM said:
Hahaha you are right. I'm below 30. :)

I'm just disappointed that the 18-200 has a clicking VR when the 28-300 doesn't. Maybe I should have gone for an FX body after all! :p

You should go for FX. Only then you will understand the real meaning of "paying so much more" and that the 18-200 is actually very cheap. ;)

Cheers.

hi all i just got my lens back. NSC says there is nothing wrong with it and didnt provide an explanation to the sound. they could only tell me it was normal and every 18-200mm lens is like that and they took out 3 other 18-200mm to let me hear. all had the same sound. guess its sth we have to live with? :x
anyway, imo, the sound on my VR is actually a little little bit less loud, though the sound is still there.